autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is every coating temp. dependent? Very confused here...

Hello all,

I am thinking about entering the coating world...I see coatings all over ago and some are temp dependent, humidity dependent etc. (Gtechniq, Cquartz...)

Is there any coating that isn't? I live in Dubai UAE where its Hot...or Hotter. I don't have a completely sealed garage either. Sounds like the perfect "no coating" environment.

The pinnacle black label has my interest peaked, and so does uber coating. Just what bothers me is that I can have the CSL + EXO package for less than both the above coatings...why is that :/ Gtechniq is far superior from what I have read and seen.

The pinnacle is 199 for the kit...or 79.99 for the coating only (what if I dont want the kit, some things in there are useless to me but some I need such as applicators or towels)

Either way, What coating is recommended for a beginner, with adverse weather conditions and no sealed garage (I have the garage door, but the inside of the garage is open to the backyard)

Lastly - I just corrected my paint and sealed it with Menzerna Powerlock 3 weeks ago. Will I have to completely polish my paint to get it bare, or Can i use the Pinnacle polish in the kit BY HAND and be on my way (to the coating ). I dont have the time to spend another 2 days polishing the car...

Another option would be to buy the coating and keep it, till winter when I can polish again and then coat, but I dont know the shelf life of coatings so I dont know if that is a good idea...Any suggestions?

I would like to place my order sometime this week as I need quite a few things.

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is every coating temp. dependent? Very confused here...

Nearly every car care product will behave differently in various temperature extremes (hot or cold)... anything from quick detailers, waxes, sealants, coatings, etc.

So to answer your question... yes, all coatings will have some variance in application depending on your particular environment, but some coatings are much easier to work with than others.. You just have to adapt. For coatings, do a test spot... apply a small amount to a panel like the trunk lid and allow it to sit for the minimum time recommended by the manufacturer, then wipe part of it off. If it is already tacky and difficult to remove, you will have to remove it sooner. If it wipes away but still appears wet (smears when viewed under LED lighting) then you will have to let it set longer before removing. Find that sweet spot and you'll be good.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    Nearly every car care product will behave differently in various temperature extremes (hot or cold)... anything from quick detailers, waxes, sealants, coatings, etc.

So to answer your question... yes, all coatings will have some variance in application depending on your particular environment, but some coatings are much easier to work with than others.. You just have to adapt. For coatings, do a test spot... apply a small amount to a panel like the trunk lid and allow it to sit for the minimum time recommended by the manufacturer, then wipe part of it off. If it is already tacky and difficult to remove, you will have to remove it sooner. If it wipes away but still appears wet (smears when viewed under LED lighting) then you will have to let it set longer before removing. Find that sweet spot and you'll be good.
    Thanks for the reply! That helps with the coating part.

Now to cover the polish / non sealed garage bit lol.

Will the supplied Pinnacle Polish be enough to remove to old wax/sealant (by hand)?

Post Thanks / Like

If your only goal is to remove old protection, and not to do any real correction, then yes any polish by hand should be sufficient in my opinion. You will still need to wipe the vehicle down with isopropyl alcohol immediately after polishing to remove any residual oils prior to coating.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh okay. But the pinnacle surface cleansing polish states that it does not leave behind any oils or fillers and is more a coating prep polish. So I wouldnt need any IPA after right?

"Wax, oil, grease, dead and oxidized paint, fallout and more are quickly removed. Pinnacle Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish wipes away completely revealing a pure surface with an unmatched natural shine."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emmjaygti View Post
    Hello all,

I am thinking about entering the coating world...I see coatings all over ago and some are temp dependent, humidity dependent etc. (Gtechniq, Cquartz...)

Is there any coating that isn't? I live in Dubai UAE where its Hot...or Hotter. I don't have a completely sealed garage either. Sounds like the perfect "no coating" environment.

The pinnacle black label has my interest peaked, and so does uber coating. Just what bothers me is that I can have the CSL + EXO package for less than both the above coatings...why is that :/ Gtechniq is far superior from what I have read and seen.

The pinnacle is 199 for the kit...or 79.99 for the coating only (what if I dont want the kit, some things in there are useless to me but some I need such as applicators or towels)

Either way, What coating is recommended for a beginner, with adverse weather conditions and no sealed garage (I have the garage door, but the inside of the garage is open to the backyard)

Lastly - I just corrected my paint and sealed it with Menzerna Powerlock 3 weeks ago. Will I have to completely polish my paint to get it bare, or Can i use the Pinnacle polish in the kit BY HAND and be on my way (to the coating ). I dont have the time to spend another 2 days polishing the car...

Another option would be to buy the coating and keep it, till winter when I can polish again and then coat, but I dont know the shelf life of coatings so I dont know if that is a good idea...Any suggestions?

I would like to place my order sometime this week as I need quite a few things.

Thank you!
    solve all your promblems and go with the mckees coating.a good product affordable and crazy easy to use.I used it today on a gmc Tahoe outside 87 degrees out and humidity.no bleeding or dye back effect.simply can't go wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    solve all your promblems and go with the mckees coating.a good product affordable and crazy easy to use.I used it today on a gmc Tahoe outside 87 degrees out and humidity.no bleeding or dye back effect.simply can't go wrong.
    I was actually looking at it. Its really cheap for a coating!! I dont know how it differs to Uber or Pinnacle, seeing how they are all made by PBMG - offer the same longetivity etc. I aint complaining though For the price Mckees seems hard to beat!

COuld you elaborate on "bleeding and dye back effect" - thats something new to me (as are coatings in general). Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emmjaygti View Post
    I was actually looking at it. Its really cheap for a coating!! I dont know how it differs to Uber or Pinnacle, seeing how they are all made by PBMG - offer the same longetivity etc. I aint complaining though For the price Mckees seems hard to beat!

COuld you elaborate on "bleeding and dye back effect" - thats something new to me (as are coatings in general). Thanks.
    I call dieback fogging or hazing sorry.just did a porche gt4 2 weeks ago,and another porche on Tuesday a boxster.goes on easy and comes off easy in hot as hell weather.Ive used pretty much all the coatings and I look for simplicity and ease.I leave the coatings in my mobile van which is hot and still have no promblems.pinnacle I have also good stuff but for the performance and affordable mc Kees it is for me.Deos it stack up against gtech or finest or opti maybe no,but you have to pick your battles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    I call dieback fogging or hazing sorry.just did a porche gt4 2 weeks ago,and another porche on Tuesday a boxster.goes on easy and comes off easy in hot as hell weather.Ive used pretty much all the coatings and I look for simplicity and ease.I leave the coatings in my mobile van which is hot and still have no promblems.pinnacle I have also good stuff but for the performance and affordable mc Kees it is for me.Deos it stack up against gtech or finest or opti maybe no,but you have to pick your battles.
    Agreed. Finest and Gtech maybe better yes, but the PITA application process and limitations they come with scare me away and are not enticing in any way.

Mckees, Uber and Pinnacle seem to be quite user friendly and approachable for a newb to coatings.

Ive seen conflicting reviews regarding application for the Mckee,pinnacle,uber coatings. Do they need to be wiped off after application or no? It says work it in and wipe of high spots.... I thought we had to wipe off all of it either way. much like a sealant, just in straight lines I guess?

Ive seen plenty of gtech/cquartz videos and they always wipe off the whole panel, not just high spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Since you mentioned shelf life of coatings, I will chime in and say that, according to Nick, McKee's and PBL both have shelf lives of 10+ years
    Currently: 2014 Jet Black Mica Mazda 6

Previously: 2004 Milano Red Acura TSX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast