autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

How to save time claying your car - Remove contamination during the wash process!

How to save time claying your car - Remove contamination during the wash process!

Instead of using detailing clay use a Griot's Garage Surface Prep Mitt!

The car in the picture below is a barn find 1969 Ford Thunderbird that was horribly contaminated. It sat for 24 year without seeing the light of day and before it was parked it doesn't look like it was ever washed or waxed. The results from years of neglect is the paint felt rough like sandpaper when tested using the baggie test.

So to get the paint smooth again and to save time removing all the contaminants and other gunk that had built-up on the paint, glass and chrome over the years Derek and used the Griot's Garage Fast Surface Prep Mitt.

Mechanically decontaminating the paint using the Griot's Garage Fast Surface Prep Mitt
    (This takes the place of traditional detailing clay)

The SECRET to removing contaminants during the wash process

The secret to safely removing contaminants during the wash process is to FIRST wash and rinse the car like you normally would. This is to remove any LOOSE dirt and flush it off the car. Then you can re-wash the car using the Griot's Garage Surface Prep Mitts using the polymerized rubber side with your car wash soap or with the foam from a foam gun like you see us doing in the pictures above.

It's important to first wash and rinse your car to remove loose dirt so you don't rub the loose dirt over the paint with the polymerized rubber side of the wash mitt which could instill swirls and scratches.

Once you wash and rinse thoroughly though - you're then good to go to re-wash the car and remove the contaminants while the car is still we in the washing process. Not only does this save you steps and time tools like this typically work better and are more effective at removing 100% of the contaminants bonded to the paint compared to detailing clay.

For severely contaminated cars this is the my preferred way to remove the contaminants and also prepare the paint for machine compounding and polishing.

On Autogeek.com

Griot's Garage Fine Surface Prep Mitt

Griot's Garage Fast Surface Prep Mitt

When using a Griot's Garage Surface Prep Mitt either as your car wash soap for your bucket or with a foam gun it's important to use a high quality shampoo too... here's a few suggestions...

Griots Garage Brilliant Finish Car Wash 64 oz

McKee's 37 Xtreme Foam Formula Auto Shampoo

And if you want to add a foam gun to you routine, (I recommend it), then here's the link to the half gallon model, which is the size I use.

McKee's 37 Half Gallon Foamaster Foam Gun

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to save time claying your car - Remove contamination during the wash process!

Awesome!! I use the Nanoskin Blue Wash Mitt. Once it is no longer useful I am looking at the Cobra wash mitt!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Mike Phillips

Re: How to save time claying your car - Remove contamination during the wash process!

For the full write-up, how-to process and to see how the Thunderbird turned out click the below link..

How to restore a Barn Find!

Post Thanks / Like

omg this is such a time saver !!!!! thank you thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    Awesome!! I use the Nanoskin Blue Wash Mitt. Once it is no longer useful I am looking at the Cobra wash mitt!
    you should try the griots i think they just came out

Post Thanks / Like

I always use my speedy prep towel or the new Nanoskin medium grade clay mit duing a RW wash and I make sure I spray the panel down AFTER I have cleaned it and use a lot of pre-treatment as well.
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"