autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correct wax

Post Thanks / Like

Correct wax

I am a newbie and saw a few videos of the porter c. Machine. I have a C6 corvette in black and a black Lexus . I have some swirls and some very light scratches. I think I have the courage to buy the porter C. Machine . I do not know what pads to buy or what type of a mild swirl remover to use. Also a finishing polish. What would you recommend?
    thank you
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Correct wax

Is there a certain line of products you're interested in, or are you open to anything? Do you want Over The Counter (OTC) or on-line ordering?

The Porter Cable is an excellent idea and there are numerous pad brands and types of pads. I personally like Meguiars Products because they are so readily available. I also use the Meguiars thin pads because I can order them by the 6-pack for ~$50

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

You might also take a look at the griots garage 6" polisher. Not much more money than the PC and it's a slightly more powerful machine. It also comes with a lifetime warranty. I was in your shoes last fall (new guy) and was urged to go for the GG6. Glad I did.

Also, being a new guy... I was turned on to AIO products (all in one). There's some really good stuff out there now that will take care of light scratches and swirls and lay down some good protection in one step (negating the need for a 2 step correction/wax). Search for HD Speed on the forum. Lots of fans.

A GG6, a six pack of Lake Country flat pads (5 white and 1 blue or black), and a bottle of HD Speed might be just what you're looking for. You could use the white for AIO application (or a light swirl remover). And use the black (or blue) pad for a dedicated wax/sealer. Just a place to start.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I live about 30 minutes from Auto Geek and I'm open for any brand name. I am nervous about doing this. To start maybe a mild swirl remover and then a high gloss finish. I saw a few videos but even though they say you can't burn the paint, it still is in back of my mind. They have all different pad types, how do you know how to use the right one
    Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by enventr View Post
    Thanks guys. I live about 30 minutes from Auto Geek and I'm open for any brand name. I am nervous about doing this. To start maybe a mild swirl remover and then a high gloss finish. I saw a few videos but even though they say you can't burn the paint, it still is in back of my mind. They have all different pad types, how do you know how to use the right one
    Thank you
    don't worry about burning your paint with a DA, thats the last thing you should be worried about. You're more likely to accidentally drop the polisher on your car then to burn the paint, eliminate it from your brain. Its not a rotary and you're not taking much off.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you
    Ok, another route... Menzerna SF3500 + Power Lock. Should get you a nice finish and it'd be a very non aggressive approach.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you
    Mike Phillips holds a detail event on Thursday nights. You could always fill out his sign up sheet and volunteer, get some pointers along the way.
    If I lived near AG... it would be dangerous for me. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

HD Speed. You can practice light polishing with this and you get the benefit of the AIO. You can add more products later on.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast