PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried topping BF Crystal Seal with wax?

ViperGuy21
03-26-2016, 11:08 PM
I just started using BF Crystal Seal somewhat recently and love it! But I was wondering if anyone has tried putting a nice carnauba on top. Was thinking about topping with a paste or even just a spray wax(like midnight sun spray wax)to add protection and really just give it a boost. Or should I just stick to re-applying every month to month and a half?
How are you guys going about this?Feed back please

TTQ B4U
03-26-2016, 11:42 PM
I've usually done the reverse. Once the vehicle is sealed with my LSP I use BFCS ever several weeks to give the LSP a boost or extra coat of protection.

ViperGuy21
03-27-2016, 12:19 AM
I've usually done the reverse. Once the vehicle is sealed with my LSP I use BFCS ever several weeks to give the LSP a boost or extra coat of protection.

Really? I wouldn't think to do that over a wax, because Crystal Seal is obviously a sealant, but maybe over another, longer-lasting sealant. Hadn't thought to do that, maybe I will give it a try at some point.

TTQ B4U
03-27-2016, 12:35 AM
Really? I wouldn't think to do that over a wax, because Crystal Seal is obviously a sealant, but maybe over another, longer-lasting sealant. Hadn't thought to do that, maybe I will give it a try at some point.

As I said, I do it after a few weeks. Haven't seen any issues at all with it bonding to the surface. Goes on clear and streak free. Love it.

ViperGuy21
03-27-2016, 12:43 AM
As I said, I do it after a few weeks. Haven't seen any issues at all with it bonding to the surface. Goes on clear and streak free. Love it.

What have you tried it over, just out of curiosity?

TTQ B4U
03-27-2016, 01:01 AM
What have you tried it over, just out of curiosity?

Blackfire Montain - Hybrid
Menzerma Powerlock - Synthetic
Collinite 845

FUNX650
03-27-2016, 09:30 AM
IMHO:

If BLACKFIRE Crystal Seal is truly a crystal clear
sealer—therefore allowing the true beauty of
paintwork, metal, glass, and plastics to show
through—I would not apply a Wax over top of it.

Main reason being:
"we have synthetic waxes, polymers and
resins that have far more resilience than
carnauba and enhance the gloss."

"Interestingly, carnauba (which people still
want to see in a product) actually grays the
surface of a vehicle." ~Barry Meguiar

Bob

silverfox
03-27-2016, 10:05 AM
It's not a question of can you top any sealant with a wax...yes you can...the question is why would you want to? Adding wax does not necessarily increase the longevity of the underlying sealant. That's a myth and I've proven it a 100 times in my many years of waxing over sealants and wearing my arms off. The sealant and wax as a layered "couple" start to deteriorate chemically at the same time as soon as they react with the air and the surface and chemicals on which they are applied. Therefore putting a short lived wax on top of a much longer duration sealant isn't necessarily helping the sealant, and in fact I would argue that in many cases the wax could actually decrease the duration of the underlying sealant if they don't play well together. Many combinations don't play well.

In my opinion if you want a product that looks like wax with the duration of a sealant, layering a wax over a sealant isn't the way to accomplish that. I've found that there are sealants that look as good as carnuba wax. One is 4 star sealant. Polish angel has a carnuba looking sealant. Even DG 105 has a carnuba look. There are even hybrids that fit the bill. I'm not a proponent of layering LSPs but I get the marketing and show car aspect of the business where carnuba is still king.

Then there is the examples where after hours of polishing you do not want the look changed. If you don't want it darkened or altered than wax isn't the answer especially on lighter colors.

I also get that lots of people just love to wax their cars. I went through that phase myself. It does have a fun feeling and yes detailing should be fun.

Kamakaz1961
03-27-2016, 10:27 AM
I am probably in the minority on this subject and I will have a different opinion than most. IMO applying a good quality canauba wax on top of a sealant does show a difference in terms of depth, wet-look and brilliance. Applying a wax over a sealant is my normal routine. My black ride is actually blacker after the wax.

Again, that is me and I know everyone has an opinion that will be different than mine....which is understandable.

:-)

ViperGuy21
03-27-2016, 10:52 AM
It's not a question of can you top any sealant with a wax...yes you can...the question is why would you want to? Adding wax does not necessarily increase the longevity of the underlying sealant. That's a myth and I've proven it a 100 times in my many years of waxing over sealants and wearing my arms off. The sealant and wax as a layered "couple" start to deteriorate chemically at the same time as soon as they react with the air and the surface and chemicals on which they are applied. Therefore putting a short lived wax on top of a much longer duration sealant isn't necessarily helping the sealant, and in fact I would argue that in many cases the wax could actually decrease the duration of the underlying sealant if they don't play well together. Many combinations don't play well.

In my opinion if you want a product that looks like wax with the duration of a sealant, layering a wax over a sealant isn't the way to accomplish that. I've found that there are sealants that look as good as carnuba wax. One is 4 star sealant. Polish angel has a carnuba looking sealant. Even DG 105 has a carnuba look. There are even hybrids that fit the bill. I'm not a proponent of layering LSPs but I get the marketing and show car aspect of the business where carnuba is still king.

Then there is the examples where after hours of polishing you do not want the look changed. If you don't want it darkened or altered than wax isn't the answer especially on lighter colors.

I also get that lots of people just love to wax their cars. I went through that phase myself. It does have a fun feeling and yes detailing should be fun.

That makes a lot of sense actually. I am a fan of the carnauba look, especially on my car(I have CS on my dad's truck right now), and do enjoy waxing a car. I'm not super constrained on time as I am just an enthusiast so I can usually afford to put on a nice coat of wax after every few washes or so. Thanks for the advice!

ViperGuy21
03-27-2016, 10:53 AM
I am probably in the minority on this subject and I will have a different opinion than most. IMO applying a good quality canauba wax on top of a sealant does show a difference in terms of depth, wet-look and brilliance. Applying a wax over a sealant is my normal routine. My black ride is actually blacker after the wax.

Again, that is me and I know everyone has an opinion that will be different than mine....which is understandable.

:-)

I've layered over other sealants(liquid)but CS seems to be a little different than any other sealant I've used before so I figured I'd pose the question:dblthumb2:

kevincwelch
03-27-2016, 11:34 AM
The whole concept of layering is something based on common sense and possibly logic, but there is no good proof IMHO that it actually enhances protection. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and is very subjective, so you'll never find any widespread agreement as to whether it looks better when a sealant is topped with a wax or a coating is topped with a wax, etc.

(Sent from my mobile device.)

The Guz
03-27-2016, 12:03 PM
I'm sure it will be fine if you follow up with midnight sun spray wax over it. You could even do that after a wash as part of your maintenance procedure. Or you can use it as a final wipe after you have used BFCS.