PDA

View Full Version : Pre wax cleaner always?

AutoApollo
03-26-2016, 06:19 PM
Hi guys, I just did a wax job today on my car using megs ULW. But it dawned on me....should I have used a pre wax cleaner first? I only clay barred the car. Also, would ultimate polish count as a pre wax cleaner?

AGOatemywallet
03-26-2016, 06:31 PM
In general, I think Pre-wax Cleaners for the purpose of removing wax, prior to reapplying wax; are marketing hype

If you waxed it 6 weeks ago, just put on another coat...even if you are changing Waxes, to me, it makes zero difference.

If the paint is neglected, stained and you are not going to polish....1st, I call you Lazy...but this would be an acceptable application for a Cleaner Wax, which is different from a pre-wax cleaner product.

Kamakaz1961
03-26-2016, 06:32 PM
IMO, I think you should be fine. IMO the pre wax cleaner is used after a polish. I could be wrong, however, I think you should be fine....do you have pics of your ride finished? Would like to see them!

AutoApollo
03-26-2016, 07:04 PM
IMO, I think you should be fine. IMO the pre wax cleaner is used after a polish. I could be wrong, however, I think you should be fine....do you have pics of your ride finished? Would like to see them!

Just went to go outside to take a picture. But saw this...This is a picture of my hood with a bit of dew on it cause the temp dropped. Its as if the wax is still there before I buffed it??? but I can see the machine marks from the DA! This doesn't make any sense to me

The Guz
03-26-2016, 07:12 PM
Does it come off if you use a quick detailer?

goldenlight
03-26-2016, 07:17 PM
it will come off when you wash the car... You just left a little on. If it doesn't come off you can use Ultimate polish to get it off then re apply the wax.

AutoApollo
03-26-2016, 07:19 PM
it will come off when you wash the car... You just left a little on. If it doesn't come off you can use Ultimate polish to get it off then re apply the wax.

I am 100% sure I buffed it all off this morning. I even went over the entire car again for a "final buff" So how could it be there?

The Guz
03-26-2016, 07:24 PM
The cold temp probably got you.

I remembered this after reading your other thread.

How Cold is too Cold to Wax My Car? - YouTube

AutoApollo
03-26-2016, 07:34 PM
The cold temp probably got you.

I remembered this after reading your other thread.

How Cold is too Cold to Wax My Car? - YouTube

Could it also be because I applied too much?

The Guz
03-26-2016, 07:39 PM
That could be another possibility on top of the cold temps.

FUNX650
03-26-2016, 09:59 PM
Hi guys, I just did a wax job today on my car using megs ULW. But it dawned on me....should I have used a pre wax cleaner first? I only clay barred the car. Also, would ultimate polish count as a pre wax cleaner?
Two things:
1.) After claying (also a pre-wax cleaning process)
I always further "pre-clean" (some say polish) the
vehicle's paint—often done using Meguiar's UP.

2.) In Meguiar's-speak...Yes, their Ultimate
Polish is just one of many of their products that
they refer to as "cleaners"—paint-cleaning
products—that can be used before applying an LSP.

Bob

mwoolfso
03-27-2016, 06:03 AM

Most retail products that tout synthetic properties usually contain cleaning agents in them. Those that don't usually have marketing language that includes the word "pure" or something similar.

This URL will answer your question in detail and also cover cold weather too.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/52372-meguiar-s-ultimate-liquid-wax-any-cleaning-agents.html

Bunky
03-27-2016, 06:11 AM
If you are just doing a booster update to an existing application, you do not need to do a pre-wax cleaner.

If this is a replacement update and over 6 months, you should use the pre-wax cleaner. Clay bars do not remove such things as light water spots in my experience.

Setec Astronomy
03-27-2016, 06:56 AM
IMO the pre wax cleaner is used after a polish. I could be wrong, however

OK, IMO you're wrong. A pre-wax cleaner is a completely redundant step in that instance:, as others have said, the pre-wax cleaner is to clean the paint if you're NOT polishing.

Just went to go outside to take a picture. But saw this...This is a picture of my hood with a bit of dew on it cause the temp dropped. Its as if the wax is still there before I buffed it??? but I can see the machine marks from the DA! This doesn't make any sense to me

I for one have seen this many, many times, where dew will form in the shape of application marks AFTER buff off. I don't know why this happens, and perhaps it's poor application technique (that I would be guilty of), but I would consider it completely normal. It's probably a little bit of a "high spot" where there is a little more product (even though you have buffed it) and as goldenlight said, will even out after a wash or a little time.

AutoApollo
03-27-2016, 12:16 PM
OK, IMO you're wrong. A pre-wax cleaner is a completely redundant step in that instance:, as others have said, the pre-wax cleaner is to clean the paint if you're NOT polishing.

I for one have seen this many, many times, where dew will form in the shape of application marks AFTER buff off. I don't know why this happens, and perhaps it's poor application technique (that I would be guilty of), but I would consider it completely normal. It's probably a little bit of a "high spot" where there is a little more product (even though you have buffed it) and as goldenlight said, will even out after a wash or a little time.

Ok great. Good to know aha. I think I used too much wax, that's why.