PDA

View Full Version : hold my hand. rate my progress.

Pages : [1] 2

Swirlbuster
03-26-2016, 04:19 PM
So i'm starting my correction

how long should i be working the cut 400?
how long shold i be working the 3500?

kevincwelch
03-26-2016, 04:45 PM
Good products.

Explain the photos. Was the second one after FG400 and the third after SF 3500? Seems a little hazy in the third. What pads were you using in your steps?

(Sent from my mobile device.)

Swirlbuster
03-26-2016, 08:22 PM
Good products.

Explain the photos. Was the second one after FG400 and the third after SF 3500? Seems a little hazy in the third. What pads were you using in your steps?

(Sent from my mobile device.)

Yes a before. After the 400> after the 3500

TTQ B4U
03-26-2016, 08:37 PM
Looks good. IMO the haze is more photo related due to cell/lighting.

Now put on two coats of a nice glaze/filler and seal it up with some Menzerma Powerlock and watch the black reflection deepen :)

Swirlbuster
03-26-2016, 08:57 PM
Looks good. IMO the haze is more photo related due to cell/lighting.

Now put on two coats of a nice glaze/filler and seal it up with some Menzerma Powerlock and watch the black reflection deepen :)

this was just my test spot. I have lots of real estate to manage yet. About how long should the whole car take?

I'm a little unsure how long i can work each of my steps. I'm not putting much pressure on my buffer.

need to do 2 coats of black light then the 845 yet.

c5 corvette

custmsprty
03-26-2016, 09:06 PM
As you are new at this probably 7-8 hours. Better to take your time and learn than rush it.

TTQ B4U
03-26-2016, 09:07 PM
this was just my test spot. I have lots of real estate to manage yet. About how long should the whole car take?

I'm a little unsure how long i can work each of my steps. I'm not putting much pressure on my buffer.

need to do 2 coats of black light then the 845 yet.

c5 corvette

Might take you 4-6hrs on your car if you work straight through. All depends on how proficient you. I stand by my advice in other threads that you take it 1 panel at a time. Also, don't fret about not having your car at 100% perfection the first go-round. My Vette took me about 4hrs straight through but I only ever polished and sealed it. Never had to compound it other than a stray area here and there.

Your buffer weighs about 5-6 lbs. Put another 5-6 lbs of pressure on it. Mark the backing plate with 1 black line of Sharpie Marker. Make sure it stays spinning. Mainly watch it on rounded edges and uneven surfaces. If it's not spinning, it's not removing swirls.

Make 4-6 passes. Start Left, work right and then back left. That's one pass. then go up and down, working on a 2x2 area at a time. That's a cross-hatch pattern. Buff and assess the results. Make sense? Keep a small spray bottle next to you if the compound starts to dry early. I forget which product you have.

Work each panel until it's to where you're happy and again, take your time. Post back some before and after shots and we'll fill you in on our assessment. Happy to do so. So far things look good.

Detail-Impressions
03-26-2016, 09:13 PM
I suggest FG 400 with a microfiber cut pad. Work into paint surface until clear.
I like to finish with foam..

dlc95
03-26-2016, 09:23 PM
Looks good to me. I'd probably skip the blacklight.

Hydrotech pads are awesome with Menzerna polishes.

custmsprty
03-26-2016, 09:30 PM
Looks good to me. I'd probably skip the blacklight.

Hydrotech pads are awesome with Menzerna polishes.

:dblthumb2::iagree:

Multiple layers, ie: 2 layers BL and then 845, imho are a waste of time.

The key to the best shine is properly polished paint, LSP's protect and enhance the paint, but it's the prep work that makes the difference.

This is a great example of that. This is my GC back in spring of 2012 when I first owned it. Polished with my PC. Their in NO LSP on it. I'm pretty sure this was with Menzerna 4500.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/custmsprty/polished1_zps1c3ae1a1.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/custmsprty/media/polished1_zps1c3ae1a1.jpg.html)

On daily drivers I prefer to use the product that gives me the best shine, longevity and ease of removal for one coat.

mwoolfso
03-27-2016, 06:08 AM
I suggest FG 400 with a microfiber cut pad. Work into paint surface until clear. I like to finish with foam..

Hmmm..... while definitely would work almost 100% of the time and your product inventory would be simplified, the trade-off is you would take off more paint than necessary. Maybe not as much a big deal if you are coating the vehicle but as a guideline to general membership here I don't subscribe to this approach in my approaches.

Looks good to me. I'd probably skip the blacklight. Hydrotech pads are awesome with Menzerna polishes.

+1

Swirlbuster
03-27-2016, 07:37 AM
Might take you 4-6hrs on your car if you work straight through. All depends on how proficient you. I stand by my advice in other threads that you take it 1 panel at a time. Also, don't fret about not having your car at 100% perfection the first go-round. My Vette took me about 4hrs straight through but I only ever polished and sealed it. Never had to compound it other than a stray area here and there.

Your buffer weighs about 5-6 lbs. Put another 5-6 lbs of pressure on it. Mark the backing plate with 1 black line of Sharpie Marker. Make sure it stays spinning. Mainly watch it on rounded edges and uneven surfaces. If it's not spinning, it's not removing swirls.

Make 4-6 passes. Start Left, work right and then back left. That's one pass. then go up and down, working on a 2x2 area at a time. That's a cross-hatch pattern. Buff and assess the results. Make sense? Keep a small spray bottle next to you if the compound starts to dry early. I forget which product you have.

Work each panel until it's to where you're happy and again, take your time. Post back some before and after shots and we'll fill you in on our assessment. Happy to do so. So far things look good.

when you say passes, does that mean repeating the same area? So like 4-6 passes, then step down a few inches, 4-6 then step down. then go up and down 4-6, step over a few, repeat?

do that pattern once, wipe and inspect. Actual buffing time 2-3 min??? for first step.

I suspect the 3500 i could work that longer??

Setec Astronomy
03-27-2016, 07:53 AM
need to do 2 coats of black light

I don't know nothin' about Black Light and can't really figure out what it is (however they seem to like it in Thailand Chemical Guys Black Light Hybrid Radiant Finish 16 oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/chemical-guys-black-light-hybrid-radiant-finish.html) )but I'm pretty sure you don't need 2 coats of it.

TTQ B4U
03-27-2016, 08:14 AM
when you say passes, does that mean repeating the same area? So like 4-6 passes, then step down a few inches, 4-6 then step down. then go up and down 4-6, step over a few, repeat?

https://youtu.be/Q70g83mnTn4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

TTQ B4U
03-27-2016, 08:19 AM
I don't know nothin' about Black Light and can't really figure out what it is (however they seem to like it in Thailand Chemical Guys Black Light Hybrid Radiant Finish 16 oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/chemical-guys-black-light-hybrid-radiant-finish.html) )but I'm pretty sure you don't need 2 coats of it.
It's a glaze with sealer. Two coats with 15 min cure time will really help. Its what they recommend and i have uaes it ans love it. I have my S4 polished to near perfection and saw it really create a deep wet look shine after that second coat. I seal it up after with a dog LSP.

Everyone has their opinions on various products. I like the newer finishing glazes on black. Especially in This instance where the car was in bad shape and the owner is not a pro but doing a good job. The newer products like BL and Black hole are not the oily glazes from days past. These are much better longer lasting fillers that can be sealed in with a good LSP. Even today's best nano polishes have microscopic areas that will fill in. In my case my last Polish is done with SF4500 which IMO is excellent on German finishes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk