PDA

View Full Version : Another scratch removal thread

Pages : [1] 2

Jas123
03-26-2016, 10:43 AM
Hey everyone.

Just getting opinions on the best way to fix this scratch that seems to be down to the primer. You can get a fingernail in it.

I done some searching and a possibility for fixing the scratch was to use spot putty to fill the scratch, then on a foam block with a shop paper towel around it, use paint leveler and remove the excess putty. Then with a artist brush paint the scratch.

The only thing won't the touch up paint be higher than the original paint. Would I use some kind of compound to level it out?

Thanks

Setec Astronomy
03-26-2016, 10:48 AM
I would skip the putty and just build the paint up to the level of the surrounding paint (really just a little above). Then you're going to need to level it out with some really fine sandpaper, and then compound/polish. That's how I would do it.

GSKR
03-26-2016, 03:00 PM
On that color,it will look worse because of the metallic.when touching up it will look darker.I would sand the whole scratch with 1500 or 2000 melt it down with heat and compound and call it a day.

detailsbydennis
03-26-2016, 04:25 PM
Silvers and golds are a challenge to touch up. Take some rubbing alcohol and wipe the scratched area. At that moment look at the scratch. Did it disappear? If it did then you need no Color to touch up. You will only need clear coat to repair.

Jas123
03-26-2016, 06:06 PM
Well it didn't go so well. I did clean it with alcohol and it didn't disappear. So I filled it with touchup paint then used the only compounds I had. Meguiars polish and scratchX 2.0. Probably not the right compounds but it was all that I had. Right beside the scratch there was a spot just a tiny bit lighter. I don't know if someone had tried to get the scratch out before but now its lighter all around the scratch now.

Just like with the replies it does look like its a challenge to repair to look correct. On top of all of that is I'm kinda new to this.

It's really hard to tell from the pic. It looks faded around the scratch now.

Anyway to save it at all?

Thanks for the replies.

kevincwelch
03-26-2016, 06:46 PM
You should give these a good look. I think they're pretty good instructions. Make sure you watch both parts of the 2007 Honda Fit video.

How to Wet Sand Vandalized Car Paint - YouTube

Best Paint Touch-up Tricks: Mercedes G55 - YouTube

Mantilgh
03-26-2016, 07:32 PM
The paint should be left to cure for at lease a few days before working it. Did it pull the paint back out of it?

The part about it getting cloudy in the surrounding area is a little scary. Hopefully it is just from using the ScratchX which is more abrasive than Ultimate Polish, if that's what you have.

UPDATED 9/2015: Autopia Polish Comparison Chart (http://www.autopia.org/forums/paint-correction-and-gloss-enhancement/181138-updated-9-2015-autopia-polish-comparison-chart.html)

I would try just the polish and see if it clears it up. If you see the cloudy area starting to grow more, stop imeadeatly.

If you are doing it by hand, try using a foam wax applicator with the polish. It will be less aggressive than a microfiber towel or applicator.

GSKR
03-26-2016, 09:13 PM
Well it didn't go so well. I did clean it with alcohol and it didn't disappear. So I filled it with touchup paint then used the only compounds I had. Meguiars polish and scratchX 2.0. Probably not the right compounds but it was all that I had. Right beside the scratch there was a spot just a tiny bit lighter. I don't know if someone had tried to get the scratch out before but now its lighter all around the scratch now.

Just like with the replies it does look like its a challenge to repair to look correct. On top of all of that is I'm kinda new to this.

It's really hard to tell from the pic. It looks faded around the scratch now.

Anyway to save it at all?

Thanks for the replies.Did you use hand or machine?

Jas123
03-26-2016, 09:18 PM
Probably not the best way to touch up but all the paint I had was spray. I puddled it in a cup and used a tooth pick to fill the scratch. Lame I know.

Yes, I'm using Ultimate polish but I'm afraid it will continue to haze or whatever its doing. It really looks like the paint is getting more silver? I may try with a foam applicator.

I done it by hand.

Thanks again for the replies.

GSKR
03-26-2016, 09:27 PM
Is this car pre owned or are you original owner.The color change is probably from the alcohol swipe,I can't see doing damage by hand.

Jas123
03-26-2016, 09:28 PM
Pre-owned. I bought it a couple of months ago.

I was thinking the same thing. Surely I'm not taking that much off by hand.

GSKR
03-26-2016, 09:41 PM
Impossible by hand.maybe you are marring the paint by hand a little.But can see color transformation in pic caused by alcohol or polish leaving you with naked paint as mike p would say.

Jas123
03-26-2016, 09:43 PM
So some clear would bring the color back?

I dont think it was the alcohol. I put some one a qtip and just wiped the scratch itself and wiped it off and didn't notice any color change.

GSKR
03-26-2016, 09:46 PM
Put some wax over the scratch and see if it reverts back.

Jas123
03-26-2016, 10:08 PM
Wax didn't seem to help at all. I have no clue what it could be.