PDA

View Full Version : Post Detail Question: Paint / Clear Coat: 2008 Lexus GS350

Pages : [1] 2 3

vanev
03-26-2016, 10:29 AM
Yesterday, I detailed a 2008 Lexus GS350.
(Sorry, I did not take pictures).

Detail consisted of:
- Complete interior detail.
- Exterior Decontamination steps included:
De-grease, De-bug, De-tar, Steam clean.
- Exterior wash and clean using distilled water and a rinseless wash solution.
- Clean and dress tires, wheels, and wheel wells.
- Finish with Meg's D156 Spray Wax.

In the conversations with the customer leading up to the detail, she expressed that the paint feels like sandpaper to the touch.
She initiially stated she wanted the works for her car.
Clay bar, polish, wax, etc....
I discussed the price points on the detail packages I offer to make that happen.
Ultimately, the price point she was interested in did not match her request.
We ended up agreeing on a price point and what services would be completed.

Upon inspecting the car, the car was blanketed in pollen and dust, and I was pretty sure the sandpaper feel was a result of that.
I have detailed countless cars that have that sandpaper feel to the touch.
All things being equal, I have always been able to make the paint/clear coat smooth to the touch without paint correction.
Not this one.

When the detail was complete, the car looked great.
Everything was great except the clear coat still had the same sandpaper feel to the touch.
I would say that sandpaper feel was not any better after the detail. than before the detail.
I would describe the feel as a very fine sandpaper, 3000 grit maybe.

The customer did not seem happy that after hours of me detailing her car, the same sandpaper feel was still present.
Matter of fact, she seemed very grumpy and even disappointed with that fact.
I could see it in her face.
I was paid well for the job and even tipped well, but I got the sense that the customer was disappointed.
The customer's main focus was getting rid of that sandpaper feel.
She mentioned, and was the first one to bring up the subject of, a Clay Bar process.
For the price point we agreed upon, Claying the car was just not on the table as an option.

- More info:
The pollen in the immediate area was among the worst I have ever seen.
Matter of fact, after I decontaminated and washed the exterior, and cleaned all the glass, I then went to do the tires, wheels, and wheel wells.
After an hour of doing the tires, wheels, and wheel wells, the car was completely covered in pollen again.
Of course, this was the moment when the customer came out to inspect the progress of my work. Oh brother!
I washed the car again, cleaned the windows again, and then hit everything with the D156.

Questions:
- Anyone experience something like this, and possibly with this specific car make and model?
- Thoughts, suggestions, advice?

Mike lambert
03-26-2016, 11:15 AM
You did not decontaminate the car. Not your fault, if she did not want to pay for that.i would have explained that that was a needed step if she wanted to make the paint smooth. If they can't afford the proper steps, what can you do other than free work?

Mike lambert
03-26-2016, 11:19 AM
You also could be dealing with overspray and this time of year tree sap. I do a ton of Lexus, have seen overspray from the bumper guy who sprays outside on the dealer lot. You did what she could afford but maybe she just did not fully understand?

WRAPT C5Z06
03-26-2016, 11:28 AM
Why did you not explain to her the claying would be mandatory to remove the sandpaper feel?

04accord
03-26-2016, 12:16 PM
yeah I think claying would have definitely been necessary. Did the D156 not make the paint feel any smoother though? I would think it would feel at least a little smoother afterwards.

AGOatemywallet
03-26-2016, 12:30 PM
I would have taken 30 seconds to clay a small section, with the Owner standing by to feel the difference "Baggie Test".

vanev
03-26-2016, 12:38 PM
You did not decontaminate the car. Not your fault, if she did not want to pay for that.i would have explained that that was a needed step if she wanted to make the paint smooth. If they can't afford the proper steps, what can you do other than free work?
You also could be dealing with overspray and this time of year tree sap. I do a ton of Lexus, have seen overspray from the bumper guy who sprays outside on the dealer lot. You did what she could afford but maybe she just did not fully understand?

Thank you Mike for your input.

Why did you not explain to her the claying would be mandatory to remove the sandpaper feel?
I did.
I originally agreed with her assessment, based on her description, that the best way to approach the vehicle was a complete decontamination, followed by polishing (possibly compounding as well) and waxing.
She was not interested in paying the $275 quoted.
I was willing to drop the price to $225 because I often offer price breaks for new customers.
I also offer one free follow up maintenance detail on every detail package I offer.
She was not interested.

I went over the clay bar process with her and was willing to reduce my prices again for the same reason.
She was not interested in paying the claying process price, even at the reduced rate.

The car has been previously detailed by another professional.
Who it was and what they charge, I have no idea.
I would bet they are much cheaper than I am, and probably include a one step AIO polish for much cheaper.

yeah I think claying would have definitely been necessary. Did the D156 not make the paint feel any smoother though? I would think it would feel at least a little smoother afterwards.

No.
I thought it would, but it did not make the paint/clear coat feel any smoother.
There was no noticeable difference to the touch at all.
I also did two applications of the D156 to everything, and still nothing.

I like D156 quite a lot.
The quality for the money is excellent, especially when sold right here at AutoGeek.
I don't love the product like other professional detailers do.
As a stand alone spray wax, I would not say it is the best spray wax out there, but on price point alone, it is probably the best spray wax for the money.

The customer has a free follow up maintenance detail coming in the next 45 days.
At that time, I will possibly perform a more extensive decontamination process including Iron-X.
I will also use a different (and off the shelf) spray wax that has never failed to deliver a silky smooth touch when applied.

Eldorado2k
03-26-2016, 12:49 PM
You should've cleaned the wheels & tires 1st. Lol

custmsprty
03-26-2016, 01:10 PM
Perhaps you could have taped off a 12" x 12" area and demonstrated the clay bar process and that may have helped you up sell her to have that step performed. Did you do the baggie test? Did you show the customer the baggie test?

I had a sales manager years ago who always told me "presentation without demonstration is nothing more than conversation".

Eldorado2k
03-26-2016, 01:15 PM
I had a sales manager years ago who always told me "presentation without demonstration is nothing more than conversation".

That's a good 1👍🏽

Mike Honcho
03-26-2016, 02:22 PM
i would have taken 30 seconds to clay a small section, with the owner standing by to feel the difference "baggie test".

winner!!!

GSKR
03-26-2016, 02:38 PM
I personally think if the customer is calling for vehicle enhancement by detailing,you should of clayed the car.even if she griped about the extra 30 bucks extra you still should do it.now at the end of all that confusion and work she is not happy.I dont see any paint improvement polishing other than 156, so for 200 dollars you used a spraywax if I'm reading this correctly.now you want to go back after 45 days to do it right,this makes no sense my friend.I think you need to sit down and figure out a selling strategy.stop juggling prices and stick with 3 simple and clear detail packages.you should of clayed it is all I have to say,and now lost a unhappy customer.

GSKR
03-26-2016, 02:47 PM
Even if she can't afford the clay extra step,you should just eat it and leave there knowing you did the right thing.keeping customers happy and coming all the time is the name of the game.am I saying do stuff for free every time no.keep the customer happy and you will be memorable for the next service do.fyi drop that free maintenance wash your losing right there.

Ebg18t
03-26-2016, 03:16 PM
In all honesty i believe you need to 'show' versus 'tell' consumers. Unless you are one of the few that can really paint the picture for the consumer, you would be better off showing them what you mean.

With detailing, a test spot is key. Take the test spot, clay it and 'show' them the difference. They will be able to see and feel the difference.

Based on your explanation the clay step was probably the most important thing she needed.

A paint surface with that many contaminants, the wax you applied isn't going to last all that long.

vanev
03-26-2016, 03:29 PM
I personally think if the customer is calling for vehicle enhancement by detailing,you should of clayed the car.even if she griped about the extra 30 bucks extra you still should do it.now at the end of all that confusion and work she is not happy.I dont see any paint improvement polishing other than 156, so for 200 dollars you used a spraywax if I'm reading this correctly.now you want to go back after 45 days to do it right,this makes no sense my friend.I think you need to sit down and figure out a selling strategy.stop juggling prices and stick with 3 simple and clear detail packages.you should of clayed it is all I have to say,and now lost a unhappy customer.

Even if she can't afford the clay extra step,you should just eat it and leave there knowing you did the right thing.keeping customers happy and coming all the time is the name of the game.am I saying do stuff for free every time no.keep the customer happy and you will be memorable for the next service do.fyi drop that free maintenance wash your losing right there.

No, I was paid $125.00 for everything + a tip.

The free follow up maintenance detail is something I include in every detail package offered.
This is SOP, not something I came up with on the spot.

I have done plenty of free work, so to speak.
I always try to under promise and over deliver.
I forever offer price breaks, free follow up maintenance details, and all kinds of ways to extend discounts to customers.

I have four detail packages offered.
Each with a set price.
Each with a complete list of services offered for the respective package.
I also have an options list with price listed for each option.
I don't haggle or juggle on price with customers.
I do typically offer first time customers price breaks.

You should've cleaned the wheels & tires 1st. Lol
I typically do.
That is the way I have always been taught, and simply the way I prefer to do it.
The thing I find in production detailing is that doing the tires, wheels, and wheel wells first is not the best approach, every single time.
There is a time and place to break that rule.

In this case, the car was a daily driver.
The wheels were extremely damaged, scuffed, and marked up on the passenger side.
The driver's side wheels looked ok.
I knew if I started om the wheels first, my OCD would take over and would spend an eternity trying to get the wheels looking great.
This had the potential of costing me time with what I felt mattered most, which was the paint/clear coat.
I also had to completely detail the interior, and based on the condition of the floor mats, I knew it would take forever to clean them, as well as remove stains from the carpet and upholstery.

I was up against the clock and simply had to prioritize what mattered most.