PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about wearing a helmet when I detail....

CustomLookz
03-25-2016, 09:43 PM
I was detailing a boat today. And I was using a buffer with a wool pad on it, and when I got around one of the railings the pad caught on to one of the rope anchors and flew out of my hands and hit me in the forehead. Thankfully I didn't suffer a concussion, but it could have been deadly if I would have fallen in the water and drowned. I know this might seem like overkill, but I cannot risk a fatal accident on the job. Does anyone know of a good helmet, or does anyone wear one while detailing? I was thinking like a motorcycle helmet, one that blocks everything. Thanks for the help

GSKR
03-25-2016, 09:47 PM
Try getting whipped by a trailer harness wire,it took 2 months for it to go away

FUNX650
03-25-2016, 10:39 PM
Wearing a helmet?
I was told it's a good idea!

http://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.corvetteforum.com-vbulletin/172x199/80-okay_665a4a29e027e0032480a298a839c898_f8e2445489da c3b5f472a43fedc6355a614fccb1.gif

Bob

GenesisCoupe
03-25-2016, 11:34 PM
not sure if trolling thread?

answer is no, i don't think 99 percent of members here wear a helmet when detailing.

wing commander
03-26-2016, 02:50 AM
Why not wear a life vest? as well as a full face downhill cycle helmet. If it is not to cumbersome and it makes you feel better should be easy to find on line at a bicycle retail website. They are not heavy and look better than the one FUNX650 posted and almost made me die laughing.

LEDetailing
03-26-2016, 03:18 AM
Only a true "Hyper-Hypo" detailer wears a helmet. One of the better SNL skits from the 90's.

dlc95
03-26-2016, 06:30 AM
Get a goalie mask. Those things are designed to take pucks at a high rate of speed. Probably gonna want to wear safety glasses too. I never wore that stuff when I was a kid, but lately I started wearing earplugs, safety glasses, and dust masks. Dust mask only on heavy compounding jobs.

CustomLookz
03-26-2016, 07:32 AM
I know yall think this is funny, but I am dead serious. I almost got knocked out. Thankfully I was still focused and could cordinate, but if I would have gotten knocked out and fell in the water I would have been dead.

Get a goalie mask. Those things are designed to take pucks at a high rate of speed. Probably gonna want to wear safety glasses too. I never wore that stuff when I was a kid, but lately I started wearing earplugs, safety glasses, and dust masks. Dust mask only on heavy compounding jobs.

Thanks but I was thinking something more like a motorcycle helmet. A goalie mask just covers the front of the face.

BillE
03-26-2016, 07:43 AM
Do I understand that you were working on a boat that is in the water?

If so, invest in a 'work life vest'. They aren't like a full sized PFD, but simple vest that that doesn't hinder your movements, but in the event you may fall, it just might save your bacon if you do.

As I told soooo many young'uns..."You work over the side-you WILL wear a vest!"

Bill

WaxMaster1
03-26-2016, 08:05 AM
I'm a motorcyclist and wear a full face helmet when I ride. When riding and moving all that air, it is still very hot. You would MELT with a motorcycle helmet on...guaranteed. As far as the "funny" picture depicting a child with Lennox Gastaut Syndrome......NOT funny, those kids have drop attacks and tend to fracture their heads, nose and lose teeth.

AGOatemywallet
03-26-2016, 12:37 PM
Helmet & HANS Device for me

pilotpip
03-26-2016, 01:34 PM
Maybe not a helmet, but if you're working around the water a lot a PFD makes a lot of sense. I recently switched to the auto inflating ones when fishing. I don't even notice that it's there.

Lt1xL82
03-26-2016, 02:08 PM
...if you're working around the water a lot a PFD makes a lot of sense. I recently switched to the auto inflating ones when fishing. I don't even notice that it's there.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

The auto inflation PFD's are perfect for this application.

We have property on the St. Lawrence River. It is unreal the number of people on the water not wearing a PFD. Some people sit on them like they are cushions! The vast majority of drownings are people who, SURPRISE!, were not wearing their PFD!

The OP absolutely has a valid concern.

dlc95
03-26-2016, 02:53 PM
I know yall think this is funny, but I am dead serious. I almost got knocked out. Thankfully I was still focused and could cordinate, but if I would have gotten knocked out and fell in the water I would have been dead.

Thanks but I was thinking something more like a motorcycle helmet. A goalie mask just covers the front of the face.

Mine goes all around my head.