PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar's DA Power System Kit

alao
03-25-2016, 08:13 AM
Hi guys, I'm a real newbie at everything car related. I really only started being interested when I purchased my first car a couple months ago. Its a Toyota Camry 2012, ATARA SL (not sure what that is equivalent to in the US, I'm from Australia).

It was around 46,000miles when I got it, it was a fleet/company car so it was driven quite a bit. The condition is still pretty good to my untrained eyes aside from minor marks here and there.

Anyways to the point.. I want to make the car look like it just came straight out of the factory, but like I mentioned I'm a total beginner at this and I don't think I'd ever be comfortable enough to go anywhere near a proper DA polisher.

I've been looking into the Meguiar's DA system but haven't really found too much reviews other than on Amazon. Was wondering if anyone here have had experiences with them.

I was specifically looking to purchase this kit off Amazon.

LINK REMOVED: Please review terms/conditions under FAQ

Are they idiot-proof? And are they effective? I'd appreciate any tips and advice.

Thanks guys.:)

Jaretr1
03-25-2016, 08:42 AM
Skip the DA power system. Its a waste. Get a true DA polisher. They are very safe and easy to use. If you want to keep costs down and simple, the Porter Cable 7424XP is a great tool to start with. You will be amazed at how easy these tools are to use, and with the right products how you will be able to acheive a near show car finish. Do not be scared of a DA polisher. Be more scared of buying something like the DA power system and not getting the results you are looking for.

briarpatch
03-25-2016, 08:49 AM
Your car is the equivalent of the Camry in the U.S.. Jretr1 gave you some good advice....I bought a Griots Garage DA and have never looked back.

cleanmycorolla
03-25-2016, 10:18 AM
Skip the DA power system. Its a waste. Get a true DA polisher. They are very safe and easy to use. If you want to keep costs down and simple, the Porter Cable 7424XP is a great tool to start with. You will be amazed at how easy these tools are to use, and with the right products how you will be able to acheive a near show car finish. Do not be scared of a DA polisher. Be more scared of buying something like the DA power system and not getting the results you are looking for.

to be fair, its actually not a waste. Theres a great review i wish i can find by a member here; did an incredible job polishing his car with it. It did take lots of time, but a tremendous job was done by the tool and member. I actually have one of these in my arsenal, and is is great for headlights, door jambs, i've used it even to polish wheels. Its a handy tool when attached to a well powered drill. Its also a low cost buy in for someone to get used to polishing cars and can open the door to a true DA.

Have you ever actually used one?

Mantilgh
03-25-2016, 10:49 AM
Here is marc08EX's review of it...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/60691-review-meguiar-s-da-power-system.html

Billy Baldone
03-25-2016, 10:50 AM
Compared to at the very least, harbor freight DA, i would get a dedicated DA

Ebg18t
03-25-2016, 04:08 PM
I've been looking into the Meguiar's DA system but haven't really found too much reviews other than on Amazon. Was wondering if anyone here have had experiences with them.

I was specifically looking to purchase this kit off Amazon.

LINK REMOVED

Are they idiot-proof? And are they effective? I'd appreciate any tips and advice.

Thanks guys.:)

2 Things:

1. - out of respect for the forum sponsor don't link to outside products.

2. - Skip it and get a Porter Cable Or Griots Garage unit. They will be more useful long term.

Here is a link to some kits to check out: Porter Cable 7424 XP Dual Action Polisher - dual action orbital car polisher, car care kits, buffer kits, PC 7424,7424XP, 7424 XP, porter cable (http://www.autogeek.net/po.html)

trekkeruss
03-25-2016, 04:29 PM
Compared to at the very least, harbor freight DA, i would get a dedicated DA

I agree. You can get the HF for what, $45-50 on sale? While I am sure the Megs unit works fine, it would be harder to use and take more time because it's less ergonomic than a true DA and it has a much small pad.