PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Steps from Start to Finish?

hammargren
03-24-2016, 12:06 PM
Recently purchased a Flex 3401 and I have never used a polisher prior. I am looking at the steps people suggest taking from start to finish on a vehicle. I purchased Iron X, pinnacle ultra poly clay package, and some others.

Like I said this is my first time doing any of this.

Thanks in advance :)

GSKR
03-24-2016, 12:14 PM
Depends on the condition of paint.I always keep it simple and my main goal is to strive for a one step polish with favorable results.Im not a 3 stage guy anymore did my time and had my share of all that for a very long time.with all the aio products out there that's what I tend to use.

frankprozzoly
03-24-2016, 12:15 PM
A porter cable or rupes might have been a better beginner machine. I've only been using a polisher for a couple of years and I had a hard time with a flex. It's a lot of machine. Go slow

Joe@NextLevelDetail
03-24-2016, 12:20 PM
1. Wash
2. (In your case clay or iron x or both)
3. Make sure paint is 100% clean and contamination free
4. Do a test spot to determine the polishing process your going to perform.
5. Inspect your results with a light to determine if that particular test spot is to your satisfaction.
6. If it is you continue to do the whole car, if not you bump up in aggression.
7. If your using a 2 step polish, follow behind the compound stage with a finishing polish and a polishing pad.
8. Add a layer of protection with wax, sealant, or a coating.
9. Sit back and take a look at your hard work and the car gleaming!

bill110
03-24-2016, 12:40 PM
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/flowchart.jpg
Start here Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html)

hammargren
03-24-2016, 12:41 PM
I know some say I should have want with a PC or a Rupes but I have also been told the 3401 is a forgiving machine. It just takes a little time to learn the machine but just want to make sure I do not ruin anything. I skipped the PC for the fact that I wanted to invest the money in one of the best right away. Hopefully that was a smart decision.

Billy Baldone
03-24-2016, 12:45 PM
You will be fine with the Flex.