PDA

View Full Version : FG400 - foam vs. mf follow up

Pages : 1 [2]

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
03-25-2016, 03:47 AM
It sure can! On foam!

...but fg400 on foam is really tough to beat and comical sometimes on how good it finishes

Yes sir! Nice one step polish...

Zubair
03-25-2016, 04:51 AM
Myself and other detailers were just chatting last night on how modern compounds and modern hard clear coats finish so well theres no need to second step with a finishing polish and on test spots the finishing step didn't add anything. You can one step with compounds on hard clear coats now days.

RPM_BR
03-25-2016, 06:53 AM
Myself and other detailers were just chatting last night on how modern compounds and modern hard clear coats finish so well theres no need to second step with a finishing polish and on test spots the finishing step didn't add anything. You can one step with compounds on hard clear coats now days.

Which brings back what Mike Phillips said about abrasive technology being the key (and I agree 100%).

StephenK
03-25-2016, 06:57 AM
Which brings back what Mike Phillips said about abrasive technology being the key (and I agree 100%).

it also brings back the fact that paint has alot to do with they way products work. If it was not for the hard clears the abrasive technology would not be where it is

Mike Phillips
03-25-2016, 07:30 AM
it also brings back the fact that paint has alot to do with they way products work.

If it was not for the hard clears the abrasive technology would not be where it is

But not all clearcoats a hard and you never know if a paint is hard, soft or somewhere in-between until you do a Test Spot or two.

So the paint polishing process starts with what touches the paint and that comes down to the abrasive technology. Just my opinion of course.

:)

Mike Phillips
03-25-2016, 07:37 AM
Myself and other detailers were just chatting last night on how modern compounds and modern hard clear coats finish so well theres no need to second step with a finishing polish

and on test spots the finishing step didn't add anything.

You can one step with compounds on hard clear coats now days.

I would respectfully disagree and I'll share why - at least in my experience which forms my opinion.

Test Spots are vitally important but if they don't include stripping off the oils they may not tell the complete story.

If we use BLACK paint as the only test to prove the end results of a compounding process then my experience is that if you're using one of the great compounds on the market today with a a foam or fiber cutting pad, after wiping off the residue the paint clan look perfect.

If you were to wash this black car to remove the polishing oils you would see sections of paint that look dull and hazy. The polishing oils immediately after wipe off can mask or hide dull paint.

The dulling effect can be caused by the aggressiveness of the pad used. It can also be a combination of the pad and the compound.

To be safe and to ensure a UNIFORM appearance over the entire car my opinion and practice is follow an aggressive compounding step (no matter how great the results may look), with a follow-up polishing step using a less aggressive polish and pad.

On a vehicles with light colored cars you can get away with it because the human eye cannot detect the dulling or hazy appearance as well as on black paint but if it's happening on black paint then it's happening on all colors of paint.

Zubair
03-25-2016, 08:21 AM
Agree Mike, but not saying on all paints/colours, discretion is key. Point is paint and abrasive technology has come so far that its easier to get show car shine from today's technology without needing to go multiple compounding/polishing/finishing steps. Again, not every paint can get away with just compounding but the way abrasive technology is heading we might just only need 1 step in the not too distant future, who knows...

StephenK
03-25-2016, 11:27 AM
But not all clearcoats a hard and you never know if a paint is hard, soft or somewhere in-between until you do a Test Spot or two.

So the paint polishing process starts with what touches the paint and that comes down to the abrasive technology. Just my opinion of course.

we may disagree on this but the great thing is we can disagree like adults and not get nasty or bash each other. Lmao. This is why I love this forum. So many different opinions and VERY VERY few attitudes

lane5515
03-25-2016, 09:57 PM
Well I feel better now. I took SF4000 and a yellow Rupes pad, did 5 section passes and finished with an IPA wipedown. The haze cleared up really good and it has a nice gloss.

FG400 and SF4000 is a great combo!

I find it difficult to take 50/50 pictures of red but I tried.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
03-25-2016, 10:14 PM
Well I feel better now. I took SF4000 and a yellow Rupes pad, did 5 section passes and finished with an IPA wipedown. The haze cleared up really good and it has a nice gloss.

FG400 and SF4000 is a great combo!

I find it difficult to take 50/50 pictures of red but I tried.

Fantastic job, that sf4000 (sf3500) with a yellow rupes pad is a killlller combo

lane5515
03-25-2016, 10:30 PM
Fantastic job, that sf4000 (sf3500) with a yellow rupes pad is a killlller combo

Thanks Joe! I appreciate your comments and the input you bring to the forum.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
03-26-2016, 12:08 AM
Thanks Joe! I appreciate your comments and the input you bring to the forum.

Did you wind up using the microfiber cutting disc for the job ?

Looks like it from the haze in your 50/50 shot.

You did a great job looks amazing

lane5515
03-26-2016, 05:20 PM
Did you wind up using the microfiber cutting disc for the job ?

Looks like it from the haze in your 50/50 shot.

You did a great job looks amazing

I did - I used both Megs MF cutting pads and Griots Garage Boss MF pads. The Megs leaves more haze but cuts faster. The GG MF pads are nice to work with though on my Rupes 15 Mark II.

dlc95
03-26-2016, 09:00 PM

I agree!

I've had great luck using Menzerna FG400 with the blue Rupes microfiber pads to cut as well.