PDA

View Full Version : Clay bar residue

Steadfast detailing
03-23-2016, 06:40 PM
I was working on a 2015 Toyota corolla (AUDM) metallic black.

Just started claying the car as I usually do when I notice this marring from the clay bar sticking onto the car panel. I didn't take any photos because I was too shocked at what was happening.

The marring basically looked like the shape of the clay bar where it stuck to the car paint and made the panel look faded. I tried to clay it out, hoping the clay would pull the clay residue off the paint but it didn't work.

Maybe I didn't lubricate the surface enough? I worked on another panel and made sure there was extra lube on there but the same thing happened. I even opened up a new clay bar but it still happened. I eventually switched to a clay mitt in fear I would continue to mar the entire car.

I knew I could at least polish it out but luckily I tried using ethanol alcohol instead and managed to rub it off.

I've worked on other black cars before with the same method but never experienced this before. Admittedly this clay bar I got from eBay, probably China or Hong Kong. Maybe the Toyota paint system just didn't agree with the clay bar?

Definitely learnt my lesson and will be picking up some dodo juice clay bars next.

Any ideas what happened?

Kamakaz1961
03-23-2016, 07:32 PM
IMO not enough lube. It also could be a crappy clay bar too. But glad to see you took care of the issue. I know I use plenty of lube with my Nano Skin and have no issues. The only other possible issue, was the car hot to the touch? That could be an issue too.

Mad Wax
03-23-2016, 07:34 PM
+1 on the hot paint, happened to me many times because of that.

Steadfast detailing
03-23-2016, 07:42 PM
Paint wasn't hot, was doing it in a garage. And like I said, I even applied extra lube. Was just baffled by what happened since I've done it many times before, even out in direct sunlight with no issues.

Desertnate
03-24-2016, 08:31 AM
The only time I experienced that problem was due to lack of lube. I also found the residue came off with a quick shot of QD spray.

Steadfast detailing
03-24-2016, 10:10 AM
Even if it was lack of lube, any reason why continuous claying wouldn't pick up its own residue?

Took quite a bit of rubbing with alcohol to get it off eventually.