PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know how to get compound out of etched bugs???

Pages : [1] 2

Buff-N-Glo
03-22-2016, 09:16 PM
I've been having problems with my compound filling in the etched bug marks on the hood of some of the cars, causing them to turn white and look 10x worse than they really are. And I've have very little success using mineral spirits, and goo gone to remove them. Is there a good way or technique for removing compound out of etched bug markings?

jamesboyy
03-22-2016, 10:03 PM
One thought would be to use a APC with a soft bristle brush like one that has boars hair bristles to it, there's also peanut butter, along with claying

AGOatemywallet
03-22-2016, 10:29 PM
This must be done as you go

Once the compound is dried in the pits and etching, it is very difficult to remove without marring the paint finish

Next time you do a paint correction, the solvents in the polish will soften the compound residue that is in the defects. As soon as you finish a section, hit it with Meguiar's D114 Rinseless Wash or CarPro Eraser to make sure any residual polish is removed.

Buff-N-Glo
03-22-2016, 10:40 PM
What about a toothpick? Can I just go in there and pick out the edges with a toothpick? I mean the paint is already etched anyway. A toothpick dipped in some mineral spirits should work.

BillE
03-23-2016, 07:34 AM
What about a toothpick? Can I just go in there and pick out the edges with a toothpick? I mean the paint is already etched anyway. A toothpick dipped in some mineral spirits should work.

There's always Q-Tips dipped in isopropyl alcohol.

Bill

Setec Astronomy
03-23-2016, 07:37 AM
One thought would be to use a APC with a soft bristle brush like one that has boars hair bristles to it, there's also peanut butter, along with claying

Why on earth would you use peanut butter for this??

I'm also dubious about claying, as a pit with polish in it is effectively a sub-surface contaminant. APC with a brush sounds like the way to go.

Mike Honcho
03-23-2016, 08:17 AM
Why on earth would you use peanut butter for this??

Because jelly is for the belly! :)

Buff-N-Glo
03-23-2016, 09:29 AM

Bill

Have you tried this? This works good?

Setec Astronomy
03-23-2016, 09:35 AM

If you want to work on spots individually, knock yourself out. I would use a brush, or a MF towel, to be able to cover more surface area. Unless you are talking about 1 or 3 isolated spots. I'd skip the toothpick idea, that sounds dangerous to me.

GSKR
03-23-2016, 09:56 AM
I've been having problems with my compound filling in the etched bug marks on the hood of some of the cars, causing them to turn white and look 10x worse than they really are. And I've have very little success using mineral spirits, and goo gone to remove them. Is there a good way or technique for removing compound out of etched bug markings?use a non caustic apc,Presoaking the area then use a soft bristle toothbrush and scrub it out then rinse.

Buff-N-Glo
03-23-2016, 10:00 AM
But I already polished it and put a layer of sealant, going back at it with a brush and apc sounds like a bad idea!

Setec Astronomy
03-23-2016, 10:18 AM
But I already polished it and put a layer of sealant, going back at it with a brush and apc sounds like a bad idea!

A worse idea than leaving the spots filled with polish? If that is your concern than just use the toothpick/Q-tip method. Or gently use APC and a towel and then go back over that small area with your sealant, overlapping onto the untouched areas.

GSKR
03-23-2016, 10:19 AM
But I already polished it and put a layer of sealant, going back at it with a brush and apc sounds like a bad idea!well than you have to pick your battles.

ShineDoc
03-23-2016, 11:02 AM
Try steam. This has worked very well for me in the past.
Good luck

BillE
03-24-2016, 07:29 AM

Yea, but it is really time consuming, especially if you have a bunch of 'em.

Bill