PDA

View Full Version : Does Opti-seal protect against UV yes or no???

yg1829
03-22-2016, 10:25 AM
Wondering if anyone has a yes or no answer to this question....I've read mixed answers. Some say yes and some say no. I think I've even read mixed reviews on the Optimum forum.

Maybe Chris Thomas or someone from optimum could answer.

The reason I ask is because I have some laying around that I don't use much anymore and Optimum says you can use it as an interior protectant. That sounds interesting but...

To me it seems kind of pointless if it doesn't offer uv protection.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Setec Astronomy
03-22-2016, 10:36 AM
Maybe Chris Thomas or someone from optimum could answer.

Yeah, he did answer, on the OPT forum. It was stated that Opti-Seal has no added UV inhibitors as OCW does, but:

"Polymer sealants give UV protection to paint systems because they are slower to absorb UV radiation and those polymers will act as a sacrificial barrier as the UV exposure degrades the polymers and their bonds vs having direct effects on the paint.

Wax protects from UV damage in the same way as sunscreen does for our skin, but doesn't have much longevity compared to sealants. Optimum Car Wax has added UV absorbers like those found in clear coat that will actually permeate into the clear with continued use.

You can use one or the other...or both together to protect from UV in multiple ways and improve longevity. Opti Seal does it passively while Optimum Car Wax does it passively and actively. An example would be to use Opti Seal quarterly after claying and/or using GPS and use OCW monthly after washes.

To answer your comparison, a vehicle regulary sealed will have no signs of oxidation nor other UV damage like crows feet or fracturing if both have the same amount of exposure. There are many other variables though. If the car is garaged, parked in the shade, your wash product contains wax, your wash product contains polymers, and even the color of the car is a factor. The advantage of using a LSP (last step product) like wax or sealant is mainly to act as a sacrificial barrier between environmental damage and the paint system. The cost of time and product is very small compared to the costs of repairing paint damage. And worth mentioning, is the fact that appearance is a very important factor in resale value. Just look at the value differences for used cars in good condition vs excellent. "

yg1829
03-22-2016, 11:35 AM
Yeah, he did answer, on the OPT forum. It was stated that Opti-Seal has no added UV inhibitors as OCW does, but:

"Polymer sealants give UV protection to paint systems because they are slower to absorb UV radiation and those polymers will act as a sacrificial barrier as the UV exposure degrades the polymers and their bonds vs having direct effects on the paint.

Wax protects from UV damage in the same way as sunscreen does for our skin, but doesn't have much longevity compared to sealants. Optimum Car Wax has added UV absorbers like those found in clear coat that will actually permeate into the clear with continued use.

You can use one or the other...or both together to protect from UV in multiple ways and improve longevity. Opti Seal does it passively while Optimum Car Wax does it passively and actively. An example would be to use Opti Seal quarterly after claying and/or using GPS and use OCW monthly after washes.

To answer your comparison, a vehicle regulary sealed will have no signs of oxidation nor other UV damage like crows feet or fracturing if both have the same amount of exposure. There are many other variables though. If the car is garaged, parked in the shade, your wash product contains wax, your wash product contains polymers, and even the color of the car is a factor. The advantage of using a LSP (last step product) like wax or sealant is mainly to act as a sacrificial barrier between environmental damage and the paint system. The cost of time and product is very small compared to the costs of repairing paint damage. And worth mentioning, is the fact that appearance is a very important factor in resale value. Just look at the value differences for used cars in good condition vs excellent. "

Wow this is some really good information!

That pretty much answers my question and then some! Thank you setec I appreciate the response!! [emoji106] [emoji106]

I must have missed Chris's post about that over at OPT.

FUNX650
03-22-2016, 11:39 AM
Optimum says you can use it as an interior protectant.
That sounds interesting but...

To me it seems kind of pointless if it doesn't offer uv protection.

From my use of Opti-Seal (OS):

•It leaves vehicle surfaces with a
very glossy appearance
-Glossy surfaces tend to reflect the
Sun's rays (including UV-rays) back
into the surrounding environment...
moreso than do non-glossy surfaces.

•Who am I to question Optimum, when
they say that Opti-Seal can be used on
vehicles' interiors?

-Wouldn't glossy interior surfaces reflect
all the Sun's rays, similarly to how glossy
exterior surfaces reflect the same rays?

Bob

Chris Thomas
03-22-2016, 09:53 PM
Thanks for sharing my reply Setec, just now saw the post.

As far as interiors, that's an off book suggestion by one of our other reps. But it is safe to use on interiors and will help prevent staining and will not attract dust. It's also great to follow your window cleaning regimen with.

PiPUK
03-23-2016, 02:38 AM
From my use of Opti-Seal (OS):

•It leaves vehicle surfaces with a
very glossy appearance
-Glossy surfaces tend to reflect the
Sun's rays (including UV-rays) back
into the surrounding environment...
moreso than do non-glossy surfaces.

•Who am I to question Optimum, when
they say that Opti-Seal can be used on
vehicles' interiors?

-Wouldn't glossy interior surfaces reflect
all the Sun's rays, similarly to how glossy
exterior surfaces reflect the same rays?

Bob

The glossy appearance is down to the reflection of visible light and should not be assumed to extend to other wavelengths.

FUNX650
03-23-2016, 07:11 AM
The glossy appearance is down to the reflection of visible light and should not be assumed to extend to other wavelengths.
And no one should assume that I'm going to
purchase the equipment/measuring devices
to prove otherwise.

Bob

Setec Astronomy
03-23-2016, 07:27 AM

Do you have anything else to add about UV protection of LSP's?

yg1829
03-23-2016, 07:55 AM
Thanks for sharing my reply Setec, just now saw the post.

As far as interiors, that's an off book suggestion by one of our other reps. But it is safe to use on interiors and will help prevent staining and will not attract dust. It's also great to follow your window cleaning regimen with.
Thanks for the reply Chris!

yg1829
03-23-2016, 07:56 AM
I'm curious to know if you have anything else on UV protection too. You're posts are very informative! Thanks.