PDA

View Full Version : Sandblasted windshield remedy?

VeloNYC
03-21-2016, 11:56 PM
As much as I took care of the windshield not tailgating, kept good distance from the trucks, few weeks back passing me minivan sent a shower of sand for a good second :). This was enough time that next morning I was driving against the sun with millions of pits on the windshield (there are few very annoying).
Since I know there is no way you can polish most of them (and worse thing I don't have the right tools and access to power), is there a remedy to make these pits more transparent? I read about sharpie and tooth paste do these things actually work? I don't care if I need to put good 24 more hours but never had a car with sandblasted windshield :(

jamesboyy
03-22-2016, 02:20 AM
I suggest finding a glass shop or a qualified detailer that can works with your budget that can polish and or fill in the deeper pits within your windshield though compare prices to see if repairing or replacing the windshield is cheaper

GSKR
03-22-2016, 08:26 AM
I personally would just replace it if it's that bad and if you can afford to.

TTQ B4U
03-22-2016, 09:55 AM
Best off waiting for a large rock to put a sizable damage point in the line of sight of the driver and use insurance to replace it. I carry a zero comprehensive policy and on my last car had a simliar situation and it was easier and more cost effective to just get it replaced.

asianisafish
03-22-2016, 10:18 AM
Ehh...I have the same problem. Really sick when light reflects off all the little pits and blinds me. I tried a lot of stuff man. Only thing is to replace the whole windshield, glass itself is really too hard to be polished and stuff

roguerobot
03-22-2016, 10:48 AM
I got scratches and wiperblade trails out of my windshield glass by using Ceriglass and glass pads, plus boatloads of polishing with my PC for literally hours. It works well for major flaws. But, small pits remain, though they are not as visible as before. I suspect that it really comes down to how deep they are.

Ceriglass and pads are definitely worth a try, as it does improve visibility in the glass, and can remove wiper trails and major scratches. So, for older glass, its a marked improvement. But, its not perfect, and only replacement will bring anything close to perfection.

AGOatemywallet
03-22-2016, 11:01 AM
I suggest finding a glass shop or a qualified detailer that can works with your budget that can polish and or fill in the deeper pits within your windshield though compare prices to see if repairing or replacing the windshield is cheaper

Never heard of filling in "pits"

Do you have a link to more information?

VeloNYC
03-22-2016, 01:49 PM
I would replace it but I have bunch of sensors attached to it i don't believe someone can do a neat job.

FUNX650
03-22-2016, 05:12 PM
Only thing is to replace the whole windshield,
glass itself is really too hard to be polished and stuff

i don't believe someone can do a neat job.

^^^that's not always true ^^^

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40436-how-remove-tiny-pinhole-pits-glass-windows-using-rotary-buffer.html

Bob

Ebg18t
03-22-2016, 05:53 PM
Just get it replaced.

Klasse Act
03-22-2016, 06:59 PM
Jingle here...."Safelite repair, Safelite replace":props:

VeloNYC
03-22-2016, 07:36 PM
I have 3 sensors on the windshield which is very expensive to recalibrate. I will need to live with this crapy windshield until car will be sold, because it will for sure happen again and again. And most frustrating thing is, $30k car is only a year old with 5k on odometer.

joeybsyc
03-22-2016, 07:38 PM
If you think you or anyone else is going to polish out pits in your windshield you're only kidding yourself.