PDA

View Full Version : What am i missing?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Blackalak
03-21-2016, 09:28 AM
As you can see within my picture I am getting this hazing effect after a 4 step polish using chem guys v series (all 4) and 4 pads with rupes 15 lhr not sure what stage needs more polishing to get rid of the haze? any help would be greatly appreciated!

NoleFan
03-21-2016, 09:34 AM
What kind of car is this? What pads are you using? Have you tried any different compounds/polishes?

Blackalak
03-21-2016, 09:43 AM
Hex logic quantum pads on an Audi A7

Blackalak
03-21-2016, 09:44 AM
Orange with 32 white with 34 blue with 36 black finish

NoleFan
03-21-2016, 09:47 AM
How many passes, and at what speed is your machine?

JeffM
03-21-2016, 10:16 AM
Are you using a lot of spray water?

RPM_BR
03-21-2016, 10:38 AM
The cutting step, it seems, is not working. It also seems that the pressure you're putting is a bit too much, you are starting to burn the corners. It looks like marrying inflicted by wool with a rotary.
CG V series is not a mature product, to put it mildly. I would use Menzerna FG400 or HD Cut. Audi usually has hard clearcoat, therefore, the cutting stage is very important to get it right, or else you overload the following stages.
I think, imho, the biggest problem is your choice of polishing compounds; Menzerna is the way to go with german cars.

lane5515
03-21-2016, 10:42 AM
The cutting step, it seems, is not working. It also seems that the pressure you're putting is a bit too much, you are starting to burn the corners. It looks like marrying inflicted by wool with a rotary.
CG V series is not a mature product, to put it mildly. I would use Menzerna FG400 or HD Cut. Audi usually has hard clearcoat, therefore, the cutting stage is very important to get it right, or else you overload the following stages.
I think, imho, the biggest problem is your choice of polishing compounds; Menzerna is the way to go with german cars.

:iagree: You can't go wrong with Menz FG400. The hex logic pads from CG are crap too.

Blackalak
03-21-2016, 01:24 PM
:iagree: You can't go wrong with Menz FG400. The hex logic pads from CG are crap too.

I def agree on that one, one pad fell apart after one whole car I pretty much followed their instructions 1 pass slow to spread then 3 passes at max speed mid pressure till product became clear

zilla
03-21-2016, 01:28 PM

Agreed. IMO that's mostly likey just products that aren't doing a damn thing or possibly poor technique. I'd wager on the products. I mean come on... 4 steps these days? Products have come such a long way that you barely need 2 anymore. FG400 is what you need. It puts everything else to shame.

Paul A.
03-21-2016, 01:40 PM
I am also a huge FG400 fan for wide application scenarios. Audi paint would most certainly get it after my test spots tell me to get stronger. Another thing is to very carefully inspect the paint after each test spot and see what you're left with.

AutowerxDetailing
03-21-2016, 02:52 PM
If you are trying to finish this vehicle with the products you already have... I wish you the best of luck.

If the initial compounding step is removing the level of defects you are after than you really just need to focus on your finishing system. Out of your pad and product selection you'll need to find the next step that removes the compounding haze and brings back the gloss. Forget about the "4 step" instructions. You need to perform some test spots and see what the paint likes.

If none of the products work to restore any gloss than I suggest selecting a higher quality abrasive such as M205 (non-diminishing abrasive) or CarPro Reflect (diminishing abrasive) for final polishing. I've used both on several A7s and both have worked equally well in my experience.

Mike Phillips
03-21-2016, 04:22 PM
Just to chime in...

A few weeks ago I started a poll and asked

POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

1: Technique.
2: Tool.
3: Pad.
4: Paint.
5: Abrasive technology.

Which one and why?

The number one reply was technique.

Here's the link.

POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/98943-poll-what-s-number-one-most-important-factor-when-comes-polishing-paint.html)

My answer was and always has been,

Abrasive technology is the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint.

And the replies by most in this thread would tend to prove me right.

Some say technique and they're entitled to their opinion but from my experience, it's the abrasives that are touching the paint and the first most important aspect of any paint polishing project.

:)

Blackalak
03-21-2016, 05:08 PM
wow! so much help here i appreciate all of everyones input here, looks like I'm going to have to do some test spots to see if i can bring the shine back even more, like i said the "haze" can only be seen in certain angles of sunlight and under very high luminance artificial light smh in normal daylight if you are not looking close it looks amazing but I'm a perfectionist... and anal with my own car haha

Mp0wer
03-21-2016, 07:07 PM
As you can see within my picture I am getting this hazing effect after a 4 step polish using chem guys v series (all 4) and 4 pads with rupes 15 lhr not sure what stage needs more polishing to get rid of the haze? any help would be greatly appreciated!

did you use 4 pads for each step, totaling 16 pads?

Or did you use 1 pad for each step, totaling 4 pads?