PDA

View Full Version : Tips for this weekend?

carlg
03-21-2016, 07:44 AM
Looks like a nice weekend coming up here on the east coast.

I'd like to detail both my car and truck. Both are fairly newer vehicles and the paint is in excellent condition on both vehicles. The car is garage kept and only 3 years old and the truck is not garage kept, but only 1 year old.

I plan to start with clay on both vehicles.

After the clay, is where I get confused trying to figure out what I really need and don't need.

Since both paints are in excellent condition, do I really need a polish or should I go directly to wax?

The autogeek flowchart says pre wax cleansing polish, but do I really need this? I guess I am afraid of too much abrasion on a perfectly fine paint job.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Setec Astronomy
03-21-2016, 08:08 AM
The autogeek flowchart says pre wax cleansing polish, but do I really need this? I guess I am afraid of too much abrasion on a perfectly fine paint job.

That class of products is considered "functionally nonabrasive". You really should consider doing it just to make sure the paint is clean before you wax.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/28519-benefits-light-paint-cleaner-cleansing-lotion-pre-wax-cleaner.html

PS Where on the east coast are you?

carlg
03-21-2016, 08:18 AM
Right outside of Philadelphia.

carlg
03-21-2016, 08:24 AM
Interesting.

The article suggests Meguirs Swirl X as a paint cleaner.

I don't have any swirls, but would I still use Swirl X as my cleaner?

parshooter
03-21-2016, 08:27 AM
I use an AIO, Blackfire TPS. This will remove some light swirls/scratches. Then, the next day, throw on a coat of wax.

Setec Astronomy
03-21-2016, 08:28 AM
Right outside of Philadelphia.

One of the area members is hosting an event in May:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/98977-pa-spring-detail-fest.html

carlg
03-21-2016, 08:33 AM
One of the area members is hosting an event in May:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/98977-pa-spring-detail-fest.html

I'll have to check it out.

I work about 10 minutes from West Chester and live about 25.

FUNX650
03-21-2016, 09:54 AM
Interesting.

The article suggests Meguirs Swirl X as a paint cleaner.

I don't have any swirls, but would I still use Swirl X as my cleaner?
•Meguiar's, (like many other car-care products
brands and Companies), has adopted/coined
some of their own detailing lingo.

•A review of Step 2:
Surface Prep—Claying and Cleaning the Paint

-from their 5-Step Paint Care Cycle "wheel" is quite
relevant, revealing, and rewarding...IMO.

Bob

Jowillie
03-21-2016, 11:58 AM
I was in a similar situation. In November clayed my wife's 3 month old black Volvo to remove some paint over-spray, then put Duragloss "Bonding Polish"(#601) mixed 1:4 with DG "Total Performance Polish"(#105) on her car and my new black XC90. Simple, quick and exquisite results. Made it through a tough winter and both vehicles still look fantastic. Did not clay my new XC90. After seeing how her's popped with the same Duragloss treatment, I may clay mine too next time.

JSMet
03-21-2016, 02:56 PM
PS21 is another excellent paint cleaner that will prep your vehicles for your wax and/or sealant. You can't go wrong with Klasse AIO either. Neither one of these is abrasive.

JSMet
03-21-2016, 03:01 PM
Sorry, I meant P21S.