PDA

View Full Version : Using machine on car with clear bra

lee250
03-21-2016, 02:47 AM
I had the clear door cups and door edge guards put on my new car. My question is do I need to cover/tape them when using my PC to apply glaze and sealant or wax? I am assuming that I shouldn't use any abrasives on it so it would get covered when correcting? Will the machine cause the edge guards to lift? Is applying sealant or wax on them be beneficial and should it be done by hand?

LSNAutoDetailing
03-21-2016, 11:55 AM
You can... however the instructions state not to use abrasives on the 3m clear bra.
Your best bet is to tape off the edges (to eliminate product getting stuck in the seems and pulling up edges).
Have I done it? Yes. On my own POV with no results (good or bad) to report. Thus, it's somewhat needless effort.

Per: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/961187O/scotchgard-pro-series-warranty-card.pdf?fn=SG%20PPF%20Pro%20Series%20Warranty%20C ard

Care Instructions:
• Caring for your Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film Pro Series is easy.
• After film installation, wait one week before washing or waxing
your vehicle to help ensure proper adhesion build of the film has
been achieved.
• Use waxes that do not contain dyes, abrasive polishes and/or rubbing
compounds. 3M recommends 3M™ Performance Finish when waxing
your car.
• After waxing your car, you can remove any wax build-up along film
edges with a lint-free cloth.
• For general questions about all 3M™ Paint Protection Films, visit our
website at 3M.com/paintprotectionfilm or call 1-888-663-1394.

UPDATE: Removed URL in the PDF that pointed to 3M's store for products.

Matt@Revive
03-21-2016, 12:22 PM
i tape clear bra when polishing. i have lightly polished Xpel and was able to remove light swirls. i also apply polymer sealants to clear bra, Xpel has a polymer sealant they recommend.

My clear bra installer has tells me stories of guys using carnuba on there clear bra, they came back a year later with milky yellow clear bra trying to get it warrantied.

Paul A.
03-21-2016, 01:30 PM
I would cover them entirely with tape. From what i interpret from your description they are very thin edge guards and under the door handles. I just had a Lexus customer recently ask me to remove them. Reason? They looked like crap all along the edges with lifting, crap stuck underneath the edges etc. Chances are, eventually yours will too if not cared for and protected from machining.

You probably can't get to the ones under the door handles with a machine but you can certainly get to the door guard edges.

lee250
03-21-2016, 07:01 PM
I dind't mention that I got llumar edge guards put on by a shop in town and it has a 5 year warranty so it's supposed to be decent stuff. I email them about waxing it.