PDA

View Full Version : Should I add a Flex 3401 to my arsenal?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

2011 Kona Blue
03-20-2016, 09:07 PM
Hey guys. My wife and I own a small home occupational automotive detailing business. We actually are doing decent business and this is just a part time thing. We can only handle 1 to 2 max detailing jobs a week.

Currently I have and use my Porter Cable 7424 XP for all my waxing, compounding, polishing, etc. I have been very pleased with this machine and in no way am I complaining about it. I have heard so many great things about the Flex 3401 and am looking for a better cutting and paint correction machine that will net me faster times of paint correction.

I plan on still using my porter cable for waxes and polishes but should I get the Flex 3401 or is there a better option out there? I really like the idea of a dual action because its dummy proof and almost no way to burn or destroy ones paint. Any recommendations about buying the Flex 3401 or should I go with another brand and model?

WaxMaster1
03-20-2016, 09:12 PM
I have a 3401 and I really like it. I've done some pretty unbelievable transformations with it. I bought mine used for a very good deal

Sizzle Chest
03-20-2016, 09:13 PM
It's a beast! I love mine!

rbss
03-20-2016, 09:14 PM
Well worth it. You will not be disappointed.

Kamakaz1961
03-20-2016, 09:15 PM
IMO Get the Flex....PERIOD! I too have the PC7424XP and only use it (now) as a mini-DA and applying sealant and wax. You will reduce your detail time at least by 50%. You might be able to do another detail because of the time you save.

The Flex is a beast. I have dropped mine a couple of times and it just keeps on working. It's like a Timex. No need to do any washer mods or any other mods to work well. The "forced rotation" is perfect for curved panels and will keep on going.

There are 2 other brands you may want to consider too. Rupes or Boss. I have not used them and will find no reason to use them anytime soon. The reason is my Flex 3401 has served me very well. But you may want to consider those brands too as I hear nothing but good from them.

Any case, I hope this helped.

VISITOR
03-20-2016, 09:24 PM
Hey guys. My wife and I own a small home occupational automotive detailing business. We actually are doing decent business and this is just a part time thing. We can only handle 1 to 2 max detailing jobs a week.

yes, absolutely get one. it's forced rotation so if stalling is an issue you won't have that problem with the flex. if you ever decide to get into a large throw polisher, the BOSS G15/21 are great options as well...

2011 Kona Blue
03-20-2016, 09:50 PM
Thanks guys. Really appreciate the help. You guys are great. I just hear to many positive awesome things about the Flex 3401. Is it safe to say the flex 3401 will remove and correct paint defects better than the Porter Cable 7424 XP?

RPM_BR
03-20-2016, 11:22 PM
Thanks guys. Really appreciate the help. You guys are great. I just hear to many positive awesome things about the Flex 3401. Is it safe to say the flex 3401 will remove and correct paint defects better than the Porter Cable 7424 XP?

Yes, it is, and yes you should. I'm telling you this because I have the PC and the 3401. The PC will be left with a 3" or 4" backing plate for small areas.

dlc95
03-20-2016, 11:35 PM
I often set the 3401 aside for the PC. Comfort and speed are the determining factors.

2011 Kona Blue
03-21-2016, 12:03 AM
I often set the 3401 aside for the PC. Comfort and speed are the determining factors.

You may be the only person I have read that is not a fan of the flex 3401. Lol

WRAPT C5Z06
03-21-2016, 12:12 AM
Get the 3401. Fantastic correction power. Do realize, it will take more energy to polish compared to the PC. Well worth it, though.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
03-21-2016, 03:35 AM
Yes. Add the 3401 to your arsenal.

haris300
03-21-2016, 04:07 AM
Another yes for the Flex. The 3401 has served me very well. It powers through corrections without stalling but it may take a little time to get used to the forced rotation. I actually didn't like using my 3401 when I first tried it because I noticed it made my arms tired trying to control it. After I got a better feel for the machine and learned to control it properly, I stopped getting so fatigued from polishing with it. I like having the 4 inch interchangeable backing plate so I can use 5 inch Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish pads or any 4 inch pad of my choice. This makes it a quick money maker for me when combined with a product like Menzerna PF2500, Optimum Hyper Polish, or HD Speed.

2011 Kona Blue
03-21-2016, 07:41 AM
Get the 3401. Fantastic correction power. Do realize, it will take more energy to polish compared to the PC. Well worth it, though.

Yes. Add the 3401 to your arsenal.

Another yes for the Flex. The 3401 has served me very well. It powers through corrections without stalling but it may take a little time to get used to the forced rotation. I actually didn't like using my 3401 when I first tried it because I noticed it made my arms tired trying to control it. After I got a better feel for the machine and learned to control it properly, I stopped getting so fatigued from polishing with it. I like having the 4 inch interchangeable backing plate so I can use 5 inch Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish pads or any 4 inch pad of my choice. This makes it a quick money maker for me when combined with a product like Menzerna PF2500, Optimum Hyper Polish, or HD Speed.

I guess I will get those muscles working. Lol. Thanks for the advice guys. Appreciate it.

dlc95
03-21-2016, 08:03 AM
You may be the only person I have read that is not a fan of the flex 3401. Lol

It's a great machine for sure, and I have one in my arsenal!

Could be that I'm not a high downward pressure guy, so the forced rotation feature doesn't do much for me. I never have problems with pad stall with the PC.

Even though the PC is 6800, and the 3401 9600 (if I remember correctly), I feel that the pad on my PC achieves greater rotation at speed 6. I use it like it's a rotary polisher (the machine I started on was a rotary).

If the situation arises that my I need more cut, I'll throw a microfiber pad on the pc. This actually happened to me while buffing out a black 99 Camaro Z28. That was some pretty tough paint. Naturally I go for the 3401 with Menzerna FG400, and a Lake Country Cyan Hydrotech pad. It did well, but I had to stand on the thing to make that happen. Then I switched to a LC microfiber pad - same thing. At that point I went to the PC with the Meguiars DAMF system, and man what a difference it made... The ease of use, less pressure, more cut, better results.

These were my experiences. If I could make one augmentation to the 3401, it would be faster rotation. For this reason I will end up with the PE 14-2.