PDA

View Full Version : Is this really how to treat customers?

Pages : [1] 2

StephenK
03-20-2016, 10:12 AM
This is was some emails between me and a detail shop in my area. I removed the shops name. And with this being copied and pasted straight from email the first email sent to them is at the bottom so you will have to read from bottom to top. I do not belive i said anything wrong. The questions i asked would be questions i would welcome any possible customer to ask me. I was just trying to see what competition i am gonna be going against in my area.

Mike 3/19/16 Keep this message at the top of your inbox
To: steve keef

Steve you seem like somebody that's very anal retentive I don't think I can ever get your car clean enough go somewhere else. Have a nice day.

> On Mar 19, 2016, at 5:15 PM, steve keef <apbtluver@hotmail.com> wrote:
> am just trying to get an idea of your work quality. Pictures can hide alot. What machine, pads and products do you use> Checked out your Facebook page only before and after pics are the interior and bed liner of a truck. And nothing on your website

> -----Original Message-----
> From: "Mike"
> Sent: ‎3/‎19/‎2016 4:48 PM
> To: "steve keef" <apbtluver@hotmail.com>

>
> Steve I'm trying to be accommodating check out the website

>
> On Mar 19, 2016, at 4:37 PM, steve keef <apbtluver@hotmail.com> wrote:
> In that order? And you are using a rotary buffer

> From: Mike
> Sent: ‎3/‎19/‎2016 4:35 PM
> To: steve keef
> clay bar, then carnuba wax applied and high speed buff....

> On Saturday, March 19, 2016 4:34 PM, steve keef <apbtluver@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Compounded, polished and wax? Or just a 1 step polish then wax? Or just an All In One product?

> Sent: ‎3/‎19/‎2016 4:33 PM
> full wax and buff windows wheels tires wheel wells engine compartment.

> On Saturday, March 19, 2016 4:26 PM, steve keef
> What is done to the exterior

> Sent: ‎3/‎19/‎2016 4:24 PM
> To: apbtluver@hotmail.com
> go to facebook
> look up motors auto detail
> all the before and afters and for 175.00 you get the full exterior and interior and engine package.
> details are on the facebook page.
> mike

> Name: steve k
> What is included in your full detail for $175? And do yiu have any before and after pivtures of your work

Eldorado2k
03-20-2016, 10:26 AM
I think he smelled you when you asked what kind of machine, pads & products he uses.. Yup.
Think about it, how many real customers ever asked you that? And did they both know what the heck your answer to those questions were + hire you for the detail?:)

Eldorado2k
03-20-2016, 10:31 AM
If a random customer ever called me wanting to know if I used a rotary or if I used a DA, and what kind of pads I used... My 1st thought would be.. Ok, if this guy knows all this, why the heck isn't he doing it himself? Lol.

StephenK
03-20-2016, 10:43 AM
But as a business owner or customer service rep i would have still answered the questions properly. Maybe i was a customer that wondered why prices are so "high" for details that i searched it and educated myself. But did not think i could do it myself. Then again i could be exactly what i am. A detailer checking out his competition. Either way his replies do not show much confidence in his services

pheerix
03-20-2016, 10:44 AM
I don't think you'll have much competition from him if he's calling all his customers anal retentive lol

WAXOFF
03-20-2016, 10:56 AM
I think he smelled you when you asked what kind of machine, pads & products he uses.. Yup.
Think about it, how many real customers ever asked you that? And did they both know what the heck your answer to those questions were + hire you for the detail?:)
I agree. He didn't want to play games. When someone starts asking me questions like that I tell them come watch me work. I have nothing to hide. I just do it on the weekends in the nice weather so I'm filled with appointments all summer and tell them I'm not looking for a hassle as my plate is full enough anyway.

2011 Kona Blue
03-20-2016, 11:00 AM
This is was some emails between me and a detail shop in my area. I removed the shops name. And with this being copied and pasted straight from email the first email sent to them is at the bottom so you will have to read from bottom to top. I do not belive i said anything wrong. The questions i asked would be questions i would welcome any possible customer to ask me. I was just trying to see what competition i am gonna be going against in my area.

Mike 3/19/16 Keep this message at the top of your inbox
To: steve keef

Steve you seem like somebody that's very anal retentive I don't think I can ever get your car clean enough go somewhere else. Have a nice day.

> On Mar 19, 2016, at 5:15 PM, steve keef <apbtluver@hotmail.com> wrote:
> am just trying to get an idea of your work quality. Pictures can hide alot. What machine, pads and products do you use> Checked out your Facebook page only before and after pics are the interior and bed liner of a truck. And nothing on your website

> -----Original Message-----
> From: "Mike"
> Sent: ‎3/‎19/‎2016 4:48 PM
> To: "steve keef" <apbtluver@hotmail.com>

>
> Steve I'm trying to be accommodating check out the website

>
> On Mar 19, 2016, at 4:37 PM, steve keef <apbtluver@hotmail.com> wrote:
> In that order? And you are using a rotary buffer

> Sent: ‎3/‎19/‎2016 4:35 PM
> clay bar, then carnuba wax applied and high speed buff....

> On Saturday, March 19, 2016 4:34 PM, steve keef <apbtluver@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Compounded, polished and wax? Or just a 1 step polish then wax? Or just an All In One product?

> Sent: ‎3/‎19/‎2016 4:33 PM
> full wax and buff windows wheels tires wheel wells engine compartment.

> On Saturday, March 19, 2016 4:26 PM, steve keef
> What is done to the exterior

> Sent: ‎3/‎19/‎2016 4:24 PM
> To: apbtluver@hotmail.com
> go to facebook
> look up motors auto detail
> all the before and afters and for 175.00 you get the full exterior and interior and engine package.
> details are on the facebook page.
> mike

> Name: steve k
> What is included in your full detail for $175? And do yiu have any before and after pivtures of your work

He made you out when you started asking about what machine and pads he uses. Still, he should of answered the questions. I have a side detailing business and if you asked me, I could answer each question very easily. With that said, I never had a customer ask which pads I used or specifically what machine do I use.

Eldorado2k
03-20-2016, 11:01 AM
To be honest, I would think I'd be able to sniff someone out real quik.. And once I got the impression that's what was going on, I'd be a bit bothered by it.. Why? 1st of all he could've just been honest. If he's a new guy looking to do his due diligence, then I'd respect him alot more for being upfront and honest. Heck, maybe I'd offer a bit of advice. I sure would appreciate if a knowledgeable detailer in my area would be kind enough to do the same. [wouldn't we all]?

2nd of all, Ain't got no time for some jive talker I can see right through.😏lol.

I haven't tried.. But I have thought about calling a detailer or 2 in my area to find out what the going prices are myself.. However, I think there's a much better way to approach them. I won't give my idea, because if I do, we'll have loads of people calling other people across the country with the same bogus story.. And that's no good. Lol.

kevincwelch
03-20-2016, 11:04 AM
Not very good customer service. Obviously he's very defensive and feels insecure. People ask me questions all the time about what I do, and it's a process to figure out if they are just ignorant and want to know or if they are somewhat knowledgeable on the subject and want detailed info. I'd never talk to a patient in that way.

(Sent via my mobile device)

GenesisCoupe
03-20-2016, 11:05 AM
He should have been more helpful, agreed.

ducksfan
03-20-2016, 11:05 AM
You weren't a real customer and didn't come across as a real customer.

I give the guy props for flushing you out and not wasting anymore time.

And, his last post got rid of you for good in a rather decent way. I don't see a problem.

StephenK
03-20-2016, 11:10 AM
He should have been more helpful, agreed.

You at Glen Elynn or Glenview shop?

custmsprty
03-20-2016, 11:10 AM
You weren't a real customer and didn't come across as a real customer.

I give the guy props for flushing you out and not wasting anymore time.

And, his last post got rid of you for good in a rather decent way. I don't see a problem.

:iagree: :dblthumb2:

Thanks for calling a spade a spade. He was trolling the guy and wasting his time.

Billy Baldone
03-20-2016, 11:23 AM
So.... Ok, I run a boutique service from my home, like a lot of us do. The other day, a young fella 2 towns away from me noticed by Beeds sticker on my car. Made it a point to say hello and asked if I liked it and gave me a card( he does about what I do, just not to the level of ocd that I do.) I gave him a card and we talked a bit, instead of us feeling threatened by each other, I think I have made a friend, that in the future we may work together, or at least bounce ideas off of each other. I have since given him some Blacklight, and text back and forth. There are several brick and mortar shops that cater to the 95percent of the population that I don't cater to. I have a really good idea what they do, and what they use. I would never on purpose, call or email "trying to call them out" if you will, to get an idea of what they use. You know damn well about what they do for $175, you are on here enough to figure it out. I think you acted inappropriately.

JeffM
03-20-2016, 11:32 AM
If you were really a customer you should explain to him that you do this as a hobby, but if your just some noob detailer who cant come up with your own price list and process, you got off easy.