PDA

View Full Version : Removing asphalt with Megs UC

duffthebluff
03-19-2016, 10:01 PM
Hello fellow members,

I recently encountered a car with a very heavy case of asphalt sticked to the body paint. We only had a day to finish the car and figured that it would take us forever to get the asphalt off with clay bar. We then decided to use UC on my orange pad and it worked.

Has anyone ever done this before? Is there any repercussion in doing so?

JRP
03-19-2016, 11:07 PM
I have used Bug and Tar remover for a while to remove tar/asphalt.

Product is foam spray application works well only it is not product available through AGO.

I have used this way before becoming a AutoGeek:props:

Desertnate
03-21-2016, 08:11 AM
I too would use a Bug/Tar product like Stoners Tarminator. A polish might not get asphalt/tar off the paint like you'd imagine.

Stoner Tarminator removes bug residue, tar, tree sap, gum and more from automotive surfaces! bug & tar remover, auto spot cleaner, car bug & tar (http://www.autogeek.net/tarminator.html)

While not proud of the fact...I've polished up my wife's car in the past without completely decontaminating the paint first. I found the polishing had little/no effect on stuff like tar and asphalt.

My vote would be to wash the car, hit the effected areas with a bug/tar remover, then clay the vehicle, and then follow up with polishing.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
03-21-2016, 08:23 AM
As others have mentioned, you will be much better off with a Bug/Tar product. One that I like to use is CarPro Tar-X.

PiPUK
03-21-2016, 05:34 PM
You shouldn't ever polish something like this. The reality is that asphalt/tar is frequently full of dirt and grit. If you aren't lucky, you could machine some grit into your paint.

Any case of heavy tar should be dealt with using a solvent based cleaner. Anything water based is a waste of time.

FUNX650
03-21-2016, 06:03 PM
We only had a day to finish the car and figured that it would take us forever to get the asphalt off with clay bar.
Probably would take a long time using a clay bar.
Instead it's: "Like Removes Like".

We then decided to use UC
on my orange pad and it worked.

Has anyone ever done this before?
No; never!

Bob

duffthebluff
03-22-2016, 03:42 AM
Thanks for the guidance guys, much appreciated!