PDA

View Full Version : How do I fix this??

electricgreen
03-19-2016, 05:07 PM
This is black exterior trim, it has some turtle wax trim coating junk on it. It is all streaky and bad looking. Trim Detailer and Ultimate black did nothing for this. Does it need to be dyed/painted to fix it or is there something that can be done to save/fix this? It looks BAD in person.

Old Pirate
03-19-2016, 05:13 PM
First try some Peanut Butter and then a good APC cleaning and I always found that using Sonus Trim & Motor Kote works great afterwards.

Rsurfer
03-19-2016, 05:18 PM
Clean well with IPA or mineral spirits and apply Solution Finish. Be sure to tape the surrounding area. Good luck.:props:

electricgreen
03-19-2016, 05:29 PM
Thank you both-quick question:
APC=?
IPA=Isopropol alcohol?

Setec Astronomy
03-19-2016, 05:37 PM
This is black exterior trim, it has some turtle wax trim coating junk on it. Trim Detailer and Ultimate black did nothing for this.

APC= All Purpose Cleaner

But let's back up a minute. You used the Turtle Wax trim coating? It came out streaky so you used "Trim Detailer" (what is this?) and Meguiar's Ultimate Black to try to even it out?

If you have a coating that hasn't been applied evenly, it may be better to try to apply it evenly, if it is uneven because of insufficient cleaning prior to application, it's probably better to try and strip it all off.

Unlikely that putting a dressing on top of uneven coating is going to achieve a uniform appearance.

Old Pirate
03-19-2016, 05:37 PM
All Purpose Cleaner.

WAXOFF
03-19-2016, 05:45 PM
+1 for Solution Finish also.

electricgreen
03-19-2016, 05:47 PM
I didn't apply the turtle wax but my understanding is it was applied evenly, it just either is streaky or absorbed that way. Trim Detailer is a Meg's product. Might be "gold class trim detailer"-it comes in a black bottle. I find it works better than the ultimate stuff which I tried for the first time today on the black trim below the windshield on a new to me car. Now I'm wondering if I should have stuck to the deep crystal for the polish instead of ordering the ultimate..or just convert to Mothers...

Anyway...All purpose cleaner, is this also Meguiars?

I used the two meg's products to try to even it out and fix it, since I thought it maybe just needed more "feeding" and since I have used and trust the TD I hoped it would help.

911 Carrera S
03-19-2016, 06:24 PM
I would try some mineral spirits or have had some luck with enamel reducer to strip and even out. :

Setec Astronomy
03-19-2016, 08:01 PM
I didn't apply the turtle wax but my understanding is it was applied evenly, it just either is streaky or absorbed that way. Trim Detailer is a Meg's product. Might be "gold class trim detailer"-it comes in a black bottle. I find it works better than the ultimate stuff which I tried for the first time today on the black trim below the windshield on a new to me car. Now I'm wondering if I should have stuck to the deep crystal for the polish instead of ordering the ultimate..or just convert to Mothers...

Anyway...All purpose cleaner, is this also Meguiars?

I used the two meg's products to try to even it out and fix it, since I thought it maybe just needed more "feeding" and since I have used and trust the TD I hoped it would help.

Wow...how did we get Deep Crystal polish into this? For one that's not really a comparable product to Ultimate Polish, but was something like that used on the trim?

Also please realize that a trim coating is very different than a trim dressing like GC Trim Detailer or Ultimate Black.

All Purpose Cleaners are made by many companies and are not restricted to "detailing" companies. Things like Simple Green etc. are considered APC's.

Mantilgh
03-19-2016, 09:20 PM
I have used TurtleWax Jet Black Undra-Shine Trim coating and alcohol works really well to remove it. I took it off of my gray bumper because it looked like that. It works really well on some plastics though.

I think some plastic is gray, not black.

Eldorado2k
03-19-2016, 09:35 PM
What kind of truck is that? Is the color of the trim originally gray or black? If it's supposed to be gray, then that may be why it turned out less than great.. Another reason would be not prepping the surface the best you can prior to applying the coating.
Look at the bright side, at least it's not Megs Ultimate Black Aerosol Trim Restorer you applied and aren't happy with, because that stuff is among the most impossible to remove. Lol.

AGOatemywallet
03-19-2016, 09:48 PM
Whatever you decide to try...do aTest Spot in an inconspicuous place before proceeding.

Skip the Skippy.

I suggest trying an All-Purpose Cleaner and a Magic Eraser to remove the existing coating.

Rinse very well, while agitating with a microfiber towel.

Coat with Solution Finish.