PDA

View Full Version : How far do you go (level of cleanliness)

frankprozzoly
03-19-2016, 12:41 PM
my car has plastic rocker panels. I was considering taking them off to clean and coat them and the paint behind them. Do you go this far with your daily driver? I'm sure it'll be a pain taking this off. No job ever goes easy. Not sure if I'm gonna go to this extreme

JSMet
03-19-2016, 01:16 PM
Do what makes you feel happy and complete. People think I'm crazy, with the 3 buffers, bottles of polish and wax and sealants lined up on a table in the basement, microfiber towels stacked in bags according to size, purpose, and thickness, and on and on. But I feel happy and complete; Frank, and it gives me a satisfaction that enables me to laugh along with them. You only live once, and you gotta be happy.

Cabrio
03-19-2016, 01:27 PM
Do what makes you feel happy and complete. People think I'm crazy, with the 3 buffers, bottles of polish and wax and sealants lined up on a table in the basement, microfiber towels stacked in bags according to size, purpose, and thickness, and on and on. But I feel happy and complete; Frank, and it gives me a satisfaction that enables me to laugh along with them. You only live once, and you gotta be happy.

Bravo, well said and I couldn't agree more!

TTQ B4U
03-19-2016, 01:33 PM

Agree 100%.

My wife thought I was crazy for removing the blades/rockers on my S4 to detail them and what lays behind them and coating both the top and behind the rockers with clear bra but it's what I do initially and won't likely remove them again. It's 100% protected, looks great and that's important to me. Therapy.

Now I'm off to rinseless wash her in the garage for the 1hr of therapy I need today. :props:

zx10r Elle
03-19-2016, 01:43 PM
Mr frankprozzoly,

Yeah I try not to think about it... still, current plan is to remove as much ABS plastic trim/mirrors to coat with C4, and fairing to coat with Gloss-Coat backside and front. And the engine will be getting Permanon neat.

I don't think that's going too far. Once trim and panels are off they're easier to work on resulting in a more complete job, and peace of mind.

Steve

Eldorado2k
03-19-2016, 01:53 PM
I've never considered removing the plastic rocker panels.. But I did remove the license plates today.

Cleaned, clayed, and applied sealant behind them, now all I have to do is clean the plate and the plastic cover that goes over it. I'm gonna clean and seal the chrome license plate trim as well.

Kamakaz1961
03-19-2016, 01:53 PM

:dblthumb2: We are all OCD I say Rock on!

jamesboyy
03-19-2016, 02:34 PM
I've removed various parts from my vehicles to cleaned behind and or add protection from interior panels, light fixtures, even certain engine parts the point is feed the detailbug, and OCDness until full from a standpoint your most comfortable with...happy detailing

parshooter
03-19-2016, 02:51 PM
Frame-off detailrestorationization is the only way to go :props:

swanicyouth
03-19-2016, 04:42 PM
I wouldn't do it.

Plastic clips will break. They won't go back on as straight as they came off.. You will put a divot in one with a screwdriver... Something will snap...

These parts aren't designed to be removed.

Life is too short.

Just clean them on the car and coat them.

custmsprty
03-19-2016, 04:54 PM
I wouldn't do it.

Plastic clips will break. They won't go back on as straight as they came off.. You will put a divot in one with a screwdriver... Something will snap...

Life is too short.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Paint can chip etc. and yeah it's a little obsessive compulsive LOL :buffing:

hoyt66
03-19-2016, 05:27 PM
I wouldn't do it.

Life is too short.

This ALL DAY! Great advice. The rockers on the Challenger are notorious for cracking just by looking at them. Coat em' with Dlux and forget about em':dblthumb2:

oldmodman
03-20-2016, 02:52 AM
I was officially notified that I had lost it when I removed my seats as well as the wing on the trunk lid.

Mantilgh
03-20-2016, 10:03 AM
Frame-off detailrestorationization is the only way to go :props:

Ha, this!

Yeah, if I pull a part off the car to work on something else, I always see something that I want to clean that would never be seen by anyone else.

Eldorado2k
03-20-2016, 10:19 AM
Ha, this!

Yeah, if I pull a part off the car to work on something else, I always see something that I want to clean that would never be seen by anyone else.

I detailed a Camry once, I stuck my crevice tool inside the seatbelt hole in the backseat and was picking up way more crap than I bargained for... Candy, receipts, inkpens, you name it.. Turns out I was vacuuming the trunk!😂lol.