PDA

View Full Version : Paint coating on single stage paint???

Coppertop80
03-19-2016, 06:37 AM
Well looking for some advice since I never used paint coatings before. I have my 1980 Camaro Z28 with original Bronze metallic single stage paint but after years of polishing I know the paint is getting thin and was thinking about applying a paint coating? I recently gorged the paint with Meguiars #7 (THANKS MIKE!!!) but after reading instructions that I have to chemically strip the paint before applying coating, I worried that I'll remove the feeder oils and possibly make it look worse.:buffing:

GSKR
03-19-2016, 08:31 AM
Well looking for some advice since I never used paint coatings before. I have my 1980 Camaro Z28 with original Bronze metallic single stage paint but after years of polishing I know the paint is getting thin and was thinking about applying a paint coating? I recently gorged the paint with Meguiars #7 (THANKS MIKE!!!) but after reading instructions that I have to chemically strip the paint before applying coating, I worried that I'll remove the feeder oils and possibly make it look worse.:buffing:I would just keep it waxed up nice car and color as well,or you can try essence no need to strip and go right to cq uk.Thats just some advice if it's kind of oxidized than stick to a wax.

BillyJack
03-19-2016, 08:48 AM
I gorge my El Camino's paint with M07 on a yearly basis and have applied Opti Coat on a few panels, mainly the roof. I will do a light polish with Optimum Polish as a surface cleaner. I've never noticed any deterioration of the finish quality after polishing and coating.

Bill

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee388/kaminokids/El%20Cam%20forum%20pics/IMG_2147.jpg

Audios S6
03-19-2016, 11:21 AM
Some folks have experienced streaking issues when applying coatings to single stage paints. It's been theorized that coatings containing strong solvents can affect the paint and that the bonding mechanism was designed for urethane clear rather than lacquer systems.

Perhaps carpro Essence may provide a good base for coatings on single stage paints. I've used it on a few single stage paints now without any issues.

Mike@ShineStruck
03-19-2016, 03:02 PM
I plan to do my 75 AMC Hornet which is enamal and also my 72 Skylark and my buddies 55 Chevy which are laquer
Never heard of this streaking issues, guess I'll do a test spot first before I go balls to the wall lol

DaveT435
03-19-2016, 03:38 PM
I asked Nick about Blackfire coating on single stage paint. He said it would work fine, but wouldn't last quite as long...

Mike lambert
03-19-2016, 04:36 PM
Coatings are designed to bond to clears. Streaking occurs when the stay in certain areas and not in others. Stick with wax, if it needs a little polishing use a cleaner wax and top with a plain wax. I will not coat a single stage car.

Old Pirate
03-19-2016, 05:09 PM
Coatings are designed to bond to clears. Streaking occurs when the stay in certain areas and not in others. Stick with wax, if it needs a little polishing use a cleaner wax and top with a plain wax. I will not coat a single stage car.

Perfect answer, I couldn't have said this better then Mike.

Mike@ShineStruck
03-23-2016, 07:18 PM
Well if it's due to solvent based coatings, I have a few non solvent based ceramic coatings to try.
Also have essance to try on a laquer and an enamel paint.

Also can try a coating made for wheels and or gel coat too

I do know for fact Polish Angels Viking coat worked on my enamel finish. It protected very well considering all it did was sit out and back I. The sun along with winter... This summer it'll make a year since application

jrs1418
03-24-2016, 12:48 PM

I've done one about 4 months ago, a Single stage White Toyota and its holding up strong! Just gotta find the right product.

Out here in HI, nothing i've used as an LSP lasted 3 months without showing signs of oxidation. From Megs Synthetic wax, Collinite, Klasse HGSG, Wolfs HB, Opti-Coat pro, Blackfire WD, and more. And i've done at least 30 of these types of cars, the sun out here just KILLS the paint with ease.

Anyways, what's been working for me so far is an Essence prep, and a Water based Coating (PM me for the name). I've tried both their regular Nano coating, and they also make a special coating for Marine applications which i've tried. Their normal paint coating has so far given me 4 months with no signs of wear AT ALL. :buffing:

Mike Phillips
03-24-2016, 02:34 PM
Well looking for some advice since I never used paint coatings before.

I have my 1980 Camaro Z28 with original Bronze metallic single stage paint but after years of polishing I know the paint is getting thin and was thinking about applying a paint coating?

I recently gorged the paint with Meguiars #7 (THANKS MIKE!!!) but after reading instructions that I have to chemically strip the paint before applying coating,

I worried that I'll remove the feeder oils and possibly make it look worse.

For the above reason, that is chemically stripping single stage paint will tend to leach out the oils you just massaged in, I'd recommend sticking with a tried and true traditional Carnauba paste wax.

The key to maintaining old single stage paint after restoring it is to regularly re-apply the #7 Show Car Glaze.

The original name for #7 was

Professional Sealer & Reseal Glaze

Note the word Reseal as in doing it over again.

http://www.showcargarage.com/gallery/files/1/800_M07Collection.jpg

So instead of trying to SEAL the surface get good and re-polishing by hand with the #7.

I taught the #7 technique in a class one time and in it the technique for applying and removing the #7 quickly and painlessly.

Rupes Bigfoot Polishers Detailing Class & Extreme Paint Restoration (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-saturday-detailing-101/85380-pictures-comments-sept-2014-detail-boot-camp-class-4.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=82347

Maybe I'll have the right car and teach this technique at a future class.

:)

Mike Phillips
03-24-2016, 02:36 PM
I recently gorged the paint with Meguiars #7 (THANKS MIKE!!!)

For those reading this thread into the future here's the link to the article being referred to....

The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/859/NonAbrasiveMethod012.jpg

;)

Mike@ShineStruck
03-24-2016, 03:16 PM
Hey Mike
Since Polish Angel Viking coat doesn't strip or streak the Enamel finish is it a true coating..or is it just a super paint sealant?