PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Canada, Ontario !

LOL
03-19-2016, 01:03 AM
Hello everyone, I am brand new to the Autogeek community! I'm 24 years old and have been stepping up my detailing game a bit the last couple years but I still have a lot too learn. I'm great with the basics but I am just starting to look into the whole wax and polish and compound type of deal. I also read some information on wet sanding but I won't be going there anytime soon, although I did attempt to restore some headlights in the past with this method.

Here is a picture of my car, I won't be really driving it until July because I carpool to work so I have plenty of time to putz around on her.
http://i63.tinypic.com/11j9r7n.jpg

It's a 2007 Z4 3.0i. Jet black in colour.. I did a few little things so far. I used a claybar on the hood to make her silky smooth and applied a meguires compound/polish and meguires black wax as well. This was just done on the hood as I just have the meguires little buffing bit that attaches to a drill.

Anyhow i'm getting there, i've got quiet a few products in the garage too, open to suggestions on good products to get for certain things as well. I just picked up the Sonax wheel cleaner as I have been taken the wheels off the car and giving them a full clean in and out, claybar, and topping the rims off with chemical guys wheel guard, etc.

As you can see i'm definitely having fun it's a great hobby! If anyone has any helpful information on a good polisher to purchase that would be great, possibly a 300 dollar limit if possible, and what type of pads I should get, products, etc?? The paint is in good condition I think but of course it has swirl marks and this and that, but even from just doing the procedure I mentioned on the hood with what I had it made a great difference and helped with the swirls, so i'm excited at what I can really learn.

Thanks! :cruisin:

Cabrio
03-19-2016, 07:02 AM
Hello LOL - welcome. Nice ride, you'll have a ton of fun taking care of it.

AZ Mike
03-19-2016, 08:30 AM
Welcome to Autogeek. Nice car. The Porter Cable 7424 XP and Griots Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher are two favorites here. Both are reasonably priced and can be purchased in kits on AG.

Pats300zx
03-19-2016, 10:29 AM
Welcome to AGO !!!

Paul A.
03-19-2016, 10:33 AM
Welcome LOL!

WAXOFF
03-19-2016, 10:33 AM
Welcome from PA.

jamesboyy
03-19-2016, 11:36 AM
Welcome to autogeek

GS2011
03-19-2016, 01:23 PM
:welcome:

Kamakaz1961
03-19-2016, 01:54 PM
Welcome to AGO

LOL
03-19-2016, 03:29 PM
Welcome to Autogeek. Nice car. The Porter Cable 7424 XP and Griots Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher are two favorites here. Both are reasonably priced and can be purchased in kits on AG.

Thanks for the information Mike, i was looking at the Porter Cable 7424xp and there is a whole bunch of different package options to choose from and i'm not sure where to start lol. Im thinking maybe the one that offers the most pads as from what i've researched that is very critical, you can never have enough pads.
If anyone has any experience with purchasing the 7424xp from Autogeek please let me know, and which value bundle did you chose?

Thanks for all the warm welcomes everyone! :)

brad911
03-19-2016, 07:25 PM
Hey LOL (London here)

I just picked up a GG6 for $150 cash off kijiji (used once) and "the largest river" has sold them as low as $152 (+taxes) for the 25' corded which is what I picked up.

I've done a couple big orders through AG and have always used SCC Parcel Pickup in Port Huron. Its $5/box and A LOT cheaper than paying for duty, taxes, etc getting AG to ship it across the boarder. Even with the exchange I saved recently over $200 going to pick it up when there was a good AG deal.

The options here are limited. A few decent CDN outlets to buy from, but variety is limited if you really want quality.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
03-21-2016, 03:09 AM
Hi, welcome to AutoGeekOnline from Germany!

I have a pair of jet black e9x BMW's.

LOL
03-21-2016, 05:37 PM
Thanks for all the welcoming messages everyone, and all the useful information. I had a feeling this was a great detailing community when I signed up! :)

As far as my interest in getting my first polisher I already ended up ordering the Porter Cable 7424!