PDA

View Full Version : Rinseless and Black Vehicles

cleanfreak3
03-18-2016, 10:48 PM
Are rinseless washes safe on black vehicles or am I better off getting out the hose and doing a two bucket wash?

Cabrio
03-18-2016, 10:55 PM
I have been doing waterless washes on my black vehicles for years and have just ventured into rinseless. I haven't had any issues with the rinseless but it is a bit more work than a waterless but less than a full two bucket wash.

jamesboyy
03-18-2016, 11:00 PM
As long as the paintwork is lightly soiled you should be fine with rinesless wash just be sure to have plenty of quality microfiber towels, wipe in one direction, flip often, let the microfiber do the work, also remember there will always be some imperfections resulting from washing hence its more revealing on black paintwork, though enjoy the experience, and let us know how it goes

TTQ B4U
03-18-2016, 11:22 PM
I don't do waterless on mine but I do a rinseless wash weekly. Zero issues. Just use either ONR or Wolfgang Uber. The later is my favorite now.

Key is to not apply more pressure than the wieght of the towel, use high quality long nap MF Towels like 480GSM Korean ones and to blot dry, never wipe.

Real Riders
03-18-2016, 11:31 PM
The Rinseless Wash is fine on a lightly soiled black car. Most of you damage to paint is done on the drying process, not the washing process. ONR gives you lubricity while drying to protect the paint but soap is washed off leaving only the exposed paint when drying

FinishingTouchA
03-19-2016, 04:12 AM
I've been told that with ONR the polymers encapsulate all the dirt and you don't really have to have any care with washing even on perfect black paint. They say you only need one bucket and doing more than one panel at a time is no big deal. And that as long as the ONR is on the surface you don't have to worry about missing spots because you can safely pick them up in the drying step using just one towel. Hard to believe though with all we've been taught.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-19-2016, 05:05 AM
Hose and 2 bucket, without a doubt!!

parshooter
03-19-2016, 07:25 AM
I've been doing the Gerry Dean method (one bucket, many towels) for months with no/little issues. I use Megs D156 wax as a drying aid. A great combo.

TTQ B4U
03-19-2016, 11:00 AM
ONR gives you lubricity while drying to protect the paint but soap is washed off leaving only the exposed paint when drying

^^ this. ONR and especially W.G.Uber really stand out and you can easily feel the lubricity at work.

I've been told that with ONR the polymers encapsulate all the dirt and you don't really have to have any care with washing even on perfect black paint.

Yep. These products act like a water softener whereby they surround the partials more easily separating them from touching the surface and scratching.

They say you only need one bucket and doing more than one panel at a time is no big deal. And that as long as the ONR is on the surface you don't have to worry about missing spots because you can safely pick them up in the drying step using just one towel. Hard to believe though with all we've been taught.

Correct. I typically do 2-3 side panels with one MF Towel. Key is to always use fresh surfaces to wipe down and never rinse or re-dip the towel in the clean solution. The only thing that comes out of my solution bucket is a clean soaking wet Rinseless MF Towel. Once done being used it goes into a laundry tub/bucket.

Hose and 2 bucket, without a doubt!!

No longer necessary. Proof is in my garage x2 vehicles.

I've been doing the Gerry Dean method (one bucket, many towels) for months with no/little issues. I use Megs D156 wax as a drying aid. A great combo.

I've not used D156. Perhaps if we meet up at Cars and Coffee in the near future I could trade you or buy a few ounces from you to try it out. I am going to mix up some W.G.Uber in a spray bottle as they indicate it can be used as a gloss enhancer. I want to see how it performs vs the Blackfire Diamond Polymer I've been using. That's great but pricey stuff.

BillyJack
03-19-2016, 11:16 AM
I've been doing rinseless on my Black DD for over a year now with no ill effects. It is a GM car (Buick Lacrosse), so the clear's rather hard.
My technique is using a Meguiar's MF mitt, which sheds dirt in the bucket easily, for the first pass, then a plush MF as a "mop" to remove most of the dirty solution. Final pass is with a Griot's PFM towel to dry, or another plush MF if I'm using a drying aid, such as D156, DGAW, or Sonax BSD. I've never been on a muddy dirt road, so mud splatters haven't been an issue, but I do pre-treat with my wash solution during winter months, or if there's anything more than minimal dirt accumulation.
My process has gotten me through the last two PA winters with very minimal finish damage.

Bill

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee388/kaminokids/Lacrosse/IMG_2064.jpg

parshooter
03-19-2016, 11:40 AM
I've not used D156. Perhaps if we meet up at Cars and Coffee in the near future I could trade you or buy a few ounces from you to try it out. I am going to mix up some W.G.Uber in a spray bottle as they indicate it can be used as a gloss enhancer. I want to see how it performs vs the Blackfire Diamond Polymer I've been using. That's great but pricey stuff.
Sure, I bought 2 gallons last year, I have plenty. Im the MAN

yg1829
03-19-2016, 11:48 AM
I've been told that with ONR the polymers encapsulate all the dirt and you don't really have to have any care with washing even on perfect black paint. They say you only need one bucket and doing more than one panel at a time is no big deal. And that as long as the ONR is on the surface you don't have to worry about missing spots because you can safely pick them up in the drying step using just one towel. Hard to believe though with all we've been taught.
You are saying one bucket with a big red sponge correct? No rinse bucket and no GD wash method?

I believe I've read that optimum recommends that.

It just scares the living crap out of me!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

cleanfreak3
03-19-2016, 03:46 PM
^^ this. ONR and especially W.G.Uber really stand out and you can easily feel the lubricity at work.

Yep. These products act like a water softener whereby they surround the partials more easily separating them from touching the surface and scratching.

Correct. I typically do 2-3 side panels with one MF Towel. Key is to always use fresh surfaces to wipe down and never rinse or re-dip the towel in the clean solution. The only thing that comes out of my solution bucket is a clean soaking wet Rinseless MF Towel. Once done being used it goes into a laundry tub/bucket.

No longer necessary. Proof is in my garage x2 vehicles.

Can I just use one Microfiber wash mitt to clean the surface and a waffle weave guzzler to dry or should I be doing the "Gary Dean" method?

TTQ B4U
03-19-2016, 04:07 PM
Can I just use one Microfiber wash mitt to clean the surface and a waffle weave guzzler to dry or should I be doing the "Gary Dean" method?

Everyone will have an opinion. I've owned a ton of black cars and I would ALWAYS recommend using about 4-6 High quality Korean Made 480gsm microfiber towels for the wash.

They hold a ton of solution when soaked, and the 16x16 ones can be folded into 8ths giving you 16 clean surfaces to wipe. Take one stroke across say 1-2 doors then flip it over. 1-2 more then fold it over, etc....

I do this religiously and have had ZERO marks or issues. WOrks fabulous. I can do my Audi wheels and all from dirt to dry beauty in just under one hour and that includes detail mist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

littletimmy
04-13-2016, 06:34 PM
As long as the paintwork is lightly soiled you should be fine with rinesless wash just be sure to have plenty of quality microfiber towels, wipe in one direction, flip often, let the microfiber do the work, also remember there will always be some imperfections resulting from washing hence its more revealing on black paintwork, though enjoy the experience, and let us know how it goes

With this in mind, if given the choice would you say it is better to just do the typical 2 bucket wash w/ rinse?