PDA

View Full Version : Raised letters........

Pages : [1] 2

rshooer
03-18-2016, 09:58 AM
The raised (white) letters on my '82 Corvette get brownish quite easily, and am wondering if anyone has any tips as to how to keep them bright white.
Thank you for any insight you can provide!

TTQ B4U
03-18-2016, 10:08 AM
Can't help you there but the Vette looks sharp. Link to pics so we can drool?

Setec Astronomy
03-18-2016, 10:10 AM
In the old days I would have told you a brillo pad. Are you asking about what to clean them with to get them back to white, or a way to keep them from browning in the first place?

rshooer
03-18-2016, 10:40 AM
Actually, if you have the answer to both of those questions, I would appreciate knowing! But my initial question was how to get them back to a bright white.

Setec Astronomy
03-18-2016, 10:42 AM
It's been over 30 years since I've had any whitewalls or RWL's, but today I would try a tire cleaner or APC. My cleaner of choice for tires is Optimum Power Clean, I use it at 3:1 (3 parts water, one part product) for tires.

TTQ B4U
03-18-2016, 10:45 AM
WETS is a great product and I bet would help seal the lettering area up nicely thus preventing the dirt from embedding in there so easily. Just a few drops on an rag and dab them up. Once you do all four, just make one more round to wipe off any excess. WETS is awesome on trim work. I may clean up our van tonight and put some after pics of the trim that I treated with it. Was faded and work looking....very gray to white and now it's like brand new and the water beads on it like the paint.

Cleaning them I would just use a good brush and your favorite wheel cleaner. Honestly I buy the 5 gal pale of Simple Green concentrate every couple years and use it to clean a multitude of things around the house including the wheel wells and tires on my cars. Works great.

asianisafish
03-18-2016, 11:32 AM
Magic eraser maybe

rshooer
03-18-2016, 11:43 AM
Thank you all for your responses....I'll give them a try.

joeybsyc
03-18-2016, 12:25 PM
Black Magic (formerly Westleys) Bleche-Wite. Nothing else works better. Nothing.

FUNX650
03-18-2016, 12:44 PM
•I make a poltice from mixing water...with a mild,
powdered cleaner like Bon-Ami or Barkeeper's Friend.

-Wet tire; sponge on the mixture; thoroughly rinse.
-Afterwards: Apply a tire dressing, such as Opti-Bond.

•There are also "dedicated products" like:
TUF SHINE Appearance Products (http://www.autogeek.net/tuf-shine-appearance-products.html)

Bob

rshooer
03-18-2016, 01:06 PM
Thank you Bob!

detailsbydennis
03-18-2016, 02:30 PM
Try some premium wash lacquer thinner on a clean white terry towel. Only touch the white part of the letter. If you dress your tires do the tire shine first. Then follow with the lacquer thinner.

FUNX650
03-18-2016, 02:35 PM
Thank you Bob!

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lKI4_PDYE5c"]Babalouie S'allright - YouTube[/video]

Bob

TRDTACO
03-18-2016, 03:15 PM
I have RWL off road tires and have tried the best tire cleaners, apc etc and the only thing ive ever found to bring them back is brillo pads. Makes em look like new.I would stay away from degreasers or laquer thinners as there not healthy for the tire and they can dry out the rubber.

david79z28
03-18-2016, 03:47 PM
Try some premium wash lacquer thinner on a clean white terry towel. Only touch the white part of the letter. If you dress your tires do the tire shine first. Then follow with the lacquer thinner.

This is what I do as well.

Nothing seams to keep them from turning brown again though. It happens with the car just sitting in my shop.