PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Running Boards - ideas needed

lane5515
03-17-2016, 09:20 PM
I have a 2014 GMC Sierra with OEM chrome running boards. As you can see from the pictures they look pretty good from a distance. Up close you will see what appears to be surface rust spots that I cannot get rid of. The surface doesn't have any pitting and is pretty smooth.

I've tried the following: traditional clay, Nanoskin sponge, P21s polishing soap, Meguiar's APC, Meguiar's Wheel Brite, Semichrome polish, CG Metal Polish and Fluid Film. None of these products have worked for me. Any ideas you have to clean these properly are greatly appreciated.

Also, the chrome has terrible surface scratches/swirls. I'm guessing these are the result of using automatic car washes by the previous owner. Can you polish chrome in the same way you machine polish the paint to remove these scratches/swirls?

GSKR
03-17-2016, 10:36 PM
The surface rust spots are more than likely coming from the brakes.I would try to use a cleaner wax or a reputable chrome polish from a reputable manufact,such as opt or flitz.use more of a cream rather then grit polish.or check out mothers chrome polish,are you sure they are chrome or rather a chrome plastic wrap.some times using iron x will turn those purple.