PDA

View Full Version : D114 and Nanoskin Mitts

jrs1418
03-15-2016, 02:15 PM
Has anyone used this combo for claying?

I recently did, mixing 1:128 of d114 I used it to clay a vehicle. The D114 seemed to affect the clay mitt by turning the rubberized areas SUPER STICKY to the point that it virtually stuck to itself and was almost impossible to separate. Even touching the rubber it tuck to your hand like it was glue.

Feed back please

larry33
03-15-2016, 02:30 PM
Don't use it

LSNAutoDetailing
03-15-2016, 03:11 PM
When you say the clay mitt it stuck to itself, what do you mean?
If you position the mitt so that the sticky side makes contact with itself it will be hard to pull apart.

Remember, the "sticky" side is supposed to be a "clay replacement" and is designed to mechanically decontaminate the surface of a vehicle. The whole idea is to attarct and remove contamination that is bonded to the clear-coat onto the mitt.
If it's not "sticky" it won't work. The D114 provides lubricity so that when you use a generous amount, the mitt will glide over the surface.

Like clay, don't apply pressure, just glide the mitt, continue to lube, until the surface is smooth. If unsure, wipe the are with a mf towel and perform a baggie test. Rinse and repeat until desired result.

I happen to use the very routine you mention, D-114 (1:128) with Nano Skin and it works great. After a panel or two, take it over to the hose and rinse it off. Or switch out pads often.

Hope this helps!

jrs1418
03-16-2016, 12:19 PM
Thanks, I've been using Nanoskin mitts for years now and know how to clay/use them. I know the rubber is supposed to be somewhat sticky, I was just surprised that it reacted with the D114 in such a way that almost liquefied it. I like to roll up the mitts when done, and squeeze them out. When I did it after using it with D114 it was almost impossible to unroll the mitt. The rubber was almost liquefied, and stuck to itself as if i was putting 2 pieces of chewed gum together. It almost ruined the mitts. Luckily i was able to gently pull it apart and save the mitt. But its still slightly sticky 3 days later. This was a new set of mitts btw.. like 1 week old.

Eldorado2k
03-16-2016, 12:32 PM
I like to roll up the mitts when done, and squeeze them out. When I did it after using it with D114 it was almost impossible to unroll the mitt.

You're not supposed to wring them out. It's recommended to simply run water over it and lightly run your fingers over it and hang on a rack [I drape it over a spray bottle] indoors, out of the heat and allow to dry.

I've always used D114@1:128 for clay lube for both clay and the towels, never had a problem.

Were you using the mitt to clay in direct sun?

Natron
03-16-2016, 01:16 PM
Yes, we experienced that also. Nathan

LSNAutoDetailing
03-16-2016, 01:29 PM
You're not supposed to wring them out. It's recommended to simply run water over it and lightly run your fingers over it and hang on a rack [I drape it over a spray bottle] indoors, out of the heat and allow to dry.

I've always used D114@1:128 for clay lube for both clay and the towels, never had a problem.

Were you using the mitt to clay in direct sun?

Exactly, the directions indicate to just rinse and let air dry. I turn them inside out so the sticky side doesn't pick up dust and dirt while drying.

Don't ring them out. The D114 has nothing to do with it.

mommafrica
03-27-2016, 06:10 PM
Doesn't turning it inside out cause it to stick together as well?