PDA

View Full Version : Do Dashmats work?

gr8almty1
03-14-2016, 03:22 PM
Hey everyone,

I am moving to Phoenix and I was wondering if the custom carpet looking Dashmats actually work to prevent cracking of dashboards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TTQ B4U
03-14-2016, 03:33 PM
Personally I would just get the windshield tinted. You're likely going to already have to get the rest done. Even stock tint won't deflect heat so you'll need to tint those too.

I have 70% on my S4 as that's the legal limit in Ohio. It's not even about the darkness though as the material. Get a good ceramic tint. I'm sure out west you could go darker if desired.

Black on Black with zero issues in August Heat

Front 70%
Sunroof 35%
Sides 50/35%
Rear 15%

gr8almty1
03-14-2016, 03:35 PM
Thanks @pdqgp. I'm from C-bus. Go Bucks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidc
03-14-2016, 03:50 PM
Had to put a new dash in my 99 Dodge about 5 years ago. I had a mat in it since it left the dealers lot when new and used sun shades when parked outside. So in my case no it did not help.

Dave

AZ Mike
03-14-2016, 03:59 PM
Treat your dash regularly with a product that has UV protection, like Wolfgang Vinyl & Rubber Protectant or Meguairs Quik Interior Detailer.

MarkD51
03-14-2016, 04:04 PM
Tinting the windshield might be great during the day, but at night will no doubt compromise your seeing, especially out in the southwest, where 2 miles out of town, everything is pitch black.

Sure, a Dash Mat will help protect the Dash from triple digit summer heat, but the only thing I hate about them, is the Velcro Peel and Stick Tape, that's holds them in place at strategic areas, which will no doubt leave marks behind if you decide to one day remove that Dash Mat.

And yeah, here in NM, and even worse in AZ, that Dash Mat will turn to powder after 2-3 summers.

Minimum, do get a Windshield Reflective Shield, and one good cheapo way to go, is buy a oversize one at either wally world, or the big auto parts stores, custom cut it with scissors to exactly fit your glass, and then do get in the habit of using it wherever you park, for work, shopping, and any extended periods of time where your vehicle will sit in the blazing sun.

Get in the habit of treating your dash with a good interior vinyl protectant, but not Armor All! You'll find some good ones here, that will make the plastics look nice, without turning them into "mirrors", and blinding you.

MarkD51
03-14-2016, 04:13 PM
All other glass on the vehicle should get tinted per your state's regulations, and that will cut down on UV intrusion into the vehicle. Usually it will be a medium tint, and most good tint installers should certify, and give you such written certification that your tint is legal in your state, in case "Sgt Joe Friday" pulls you over, with a razor blade in hand. I've had such happen in "Police State" turdholes like Illinois, where I once got a warning from a state trooper about such.

AGOatemywallet
03-14-2016, 05:09 PM
Tint Laws (http://tintlaws.com/arizona-window-tint-law.php)

davidc
03-14-2016, 05:18 PM
I bought these for the vehicles a few years ago. They seem to work and may definately prolong the life of the dash.

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/autogeek/custom-uvs-heat-shield-6.gif

UVS100 Ultraviolet Heat Shield by Covercraft® is custom made for your vehicle's windshield! Sun Shades block out harmful UV rays to protect against (http://www.autogeek.net/heatshields.html)

Dave

TTQ B4U
03-14-2016, 05:27 PM
Tinting the windshield might be great during the day, but at night will no doubt compromise your seeing, especially out in the southwest, where 2 miles out of town, everything is pitch black.

I have zero problems in the dark and travel quite a bit in such areas. 70-80 or even 90% AirOptics by Llumar is excellent. Even the 80% will block 50% of the heat/energy coming in. 80% isn't even noticeable by someone looking in thus wouldn't be a problem either. You can also obtain a letter from your local eye care professional too. ;)

Ebg18t
03-14-2016, 06:41 PM
I bought these for the vehicles a few years ago. They seem to work and may definately prolong the life of the dash.

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/autogeek/custom-uvs-heat-shield-6.gif

UVS100 Ultraviolet Heat Shield by Covercraft® is custom made for your vehicle's windshield! Sun Shades block out harmful UV rays to protect against (http://www.autogeek.net/heatshields.html)

Dave

Same thing here in our cars. Works great.

GSKR
03-14-2016, 08:14 PM
I have zero problems in the dark and travel quite a bit in such areas. 70-80 or even 90% AirOptics by Llumar is excellent. Even the 80% will block 50% of the heat/energy coming in. 80% isn't even noticeable by someone looking in thus wouldn't be a problem either. You can also obtain a letter from your local eye care professional too. ;)I had 2 layers of tint on the windshield on my transit,at night I had to roll the window down to see a street name.Got busted picking up my daughter from school the sheriff was a cross guard on that day and he instructed me to stop.No ticket he was cool about it.

oldmodman
03-15-2016, 05:32 AM
Yes.
A dash mat will absolutely protect the dash from UV and infrared light.
I have had a dashmat in my 1992 Ford Explorer since new and I has (unfortunately) been parked outside in the hot SoCal sun all it's life. The dash still looks like new.

xtina
03-19-2016, 10:52 PM
I love my dash mat. It cuts down the glare about 99%.

JSMet
03-20-2016, 11:59 AM
Thanks to AGOatemywallet for making the tint regulations in all 50 states available to everyone. Good looking out.