PDA

View Full Version : Some noob questions

DEwalt
03-14-2016, 02:33 PM
My goal is to remove as many scratches ect in my paint. It has been neglected to say the least. Its not real oxidized but lots of swirls and scratches. What are some good polishes that will not break the bank? I'm also just own a small one speed buffer. Would this work as an applicator? I'm wanting to clean up my Tundra and ultimately sell it. I was also thinking about just paying someone, but I would like to learn so I can detail my wife's car. I've been doing a lot of reading and it seems like you take it to a science level which is awrsome.

Jaretr1
03-14-2016, 02:51 PM
The one speed buffer is likely useless.

This is a good starter kit : McKee's 37 Porter Cable 7424 Intermediate Swirl Remover Kit, polishing kit, xmt polishes, detailing kit (http://www.autogeek.net/xmtpocainswr.html)

Not expensive and has everything you need, although it would be recommended to have a few more polishing and cutting pads. Good products, easy to use, and not expensive.

Cabrio
03-14-2016, 03:04 PM
:iagree: keep it simple coming out of the gates. Definitely pick up a few more pads in addition to what is in the kit.

shagnat
03-15-2016, 08:36 AM
:iagree: keep it simple coming out of the gates. Definitely pick up a few more pads in addition to what is in the kit.
:iagree:Don't take that advice lightly. MORE pads are mandatory. As many as six of 3 or 4 different correction/polishing/waxing abilities.

Paul A.
03-15-2016, 09:01 AM
The one speed buffer is likely useless.

This is a good starter kit : McKee's 37 Porter Cable 7424 Intermediate Swirl Remover Kit, polishing kit, xmt polishes, detailing kit (http://www.autogeek.net/xmtpocainswr.html)

Not expensive and has everything you need, although it would be recommended to have a few more polishing and cutting pads. Good products, easy to use, and not expensive.

This is the route i would go. That kit and a 6 pack of 3 orange and 3 white.

cleanmycorolla
03-15-2016, 11:25 AM
I love when everyone has the same advice and agrees!

Cabrio
03-15-2016, 02:09 PM
You can't go wrong with this. After you've played around with this for a bit you can start experimenting with different products, microfiber towels or expand your detailing into wheels, glass, it's endless! But this is a great step and this is an awesome kit to get going with (oh - and getting the additional pads).

bryanviper
03-15-2016, 05:33 PM
I really like the 3d products line,

this may be a kit you may want to consider also - Porter Cable 7424XP & 3D HD Flawless Finish Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/pc-3d-hd-flawless-kit.html)

DEwalt
03-15-2016, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I was hoping to be under $150. Looks like it's not possibility needing something a DA to polish with.

ducksfan
03-15-2016, 08:27 PM
So close and yet so far away.
A month or two ago you could have purchased a $200 gift certificate for $150. Take 15% off the $239 price of the 3D kit and you would have been right there.

Cabrio
03-15-2016, 08:33 PM
So close and yet so far away.
A month or two ago you could have purchased a $200 gift certificate for $150. Take 15% off the $239 price of the 3D kit and you would have been right there.

:doh:

DEwalt
03-17-2016, 10:06 PM
How does this compare to a torq DA? Are the hex logic pads better quality?