PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Wheels

jakesxt
03-14-2016, 08:41 AM
I was looking for some safe suggestions to clean my wheels. They are Chrome Clad wheels (Dodge Aluminum wheels with a chrome plastic outer). Up until this year they cleaned off just fine with soap and water. I noticed that after this winter though there appears to be some "grime" on them that will not come off as easy. I had a bottle of Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel & Tire Cleaner that I sprayed on one of the wheels but got nervous and rinsed it right off.

I was wondering if there are any good safe cleaners I can use. I just don't want to clean them with anything too harsh that could remove any protective coating they may have on them.

Also after cleaning can I put a coat of Collinite on them?

GSKR
03-14-2016, 09:20 AM
I use to have a 13 charger with those wheels.once in a while I would hit them with a acid based cleaner keeping it off the brake components.Hot rims is not as strong as the stuff I use. Rinse wheel first making sure it's cool then apply hot rims wait one minute and throughly rinse especially in the lug nut area you will not harm anything.I only see damage when the product is misused,like applying to hot wheel or not rinsing well.Ive seen guys spray that stuff and go to lunch,and come back to a fried wheels.

bryanviper
03-14-2016, 10:39 AM
Once you get it nice and clean I suggest you apply a good coating on it to help protect and keep it clean such as Cquartz UK

Eldorado2k
03-14-2016, 10:48 AM
The Megs wheel & tire cleaner will not harm those type of wheel covers. It's safe to spray and even agitate with a soft brush made for wheels.
You're good.👍🏽

Dan K
03-14-2016, 11:19 AM
I have used different wheel cleaners on my chrome clad wheels without much success. The most effective and least aggressive approach for me is polishing with a cleaner wax. I posted a link below from when I polished mine. You can then put a layer of collinite on top of that. That is what I have done with my wheels in the past and they held up nicely.

A coating would obviously be the most durable route, and I will be trying that route in the spring.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/85938-cleaning-chrome-clad-wheels-post1176018.html#post1176018

jakesxt
03-14-2016, 04:43 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. Good to know the Megs Cleaner will do no harm. I will have to try it again. I think I will also pick up some cleaner wax and then top it. Hopefully that way I can go back to just washing for most of the time in between.

BadgerRivFan
03-14-2016, 05:17 PM
Could also try Collinite 850 if you're thinking of going the cleaner wax route...

http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-metal-wax.html

ScottB
03-14-2016, 07:10 PM
When in doubt P21S and DP (now McKee 37) offer safe wheel cleaners. If you want long term protection, coat with G-techniqs Wheel Armor. For a year or more, you wont need more than car soap and water.

AGOatemywallet
03-14-2016, 07:56 PM
+1 on Cleaner Wax

I apply by hand with a MF towel

Detailing by M
03-14-2016, 09:28 PM
as long as they aren't bare aluminum you can use an acid and preferably so due to it's cleaning power.
but if your scared then go with a non acid wheel cleaner, Meg's NAWC works great.

Eldorado2k
03-14-2016, 09:32 PM
I just looked at the picture of his wheel cover.. Hmm, what are we looking at there? If that hasn't came off with what he's tried so far, there's a chance what we're looking at is on there for good?

The edge of that spoke looks like the thin chrome coating has failed, and not looking too good from there..

jakesxt
03-15-2016, 08:29 AM
That is what I was fearing in that the coating failed...but last night I took a look a bit closer and with some detail spray and my fingernail I was able to "Scratch" a line in in to reveal the chrome behind it. So I guess I will just have to use the cleaner on it and agitate it some. If this weekend is nice again I will try that and post again.