PDA

View Full Version : Any advantage over using glass polish vs other

timsatx
03-14-2016, 07:34 AM
I am curious about something, what would the advantage of using a glass polish (i.e. McKee's 37 High Performance Glass Restorer) over a paint polish (i.e. Optimum Finish Polish), especially when using a DA?

Paul A.
03-14-2016, 08:00 AM
Good question and i used to polish glass with my mid to light cut polishes. Since using a dedicated glass polish...i use DuraGloss Nu Glass...i have noticed a big difference in the quality of the finished results. Glass seems clearer and just plain cleaner after Nu Glass vs. Menzerna 2500 or 3800. I have to believe that glass specific polishes are formulated specifically for that task and work better in my opinion.

Since i switched and saw improved results from glass specific polishes i was then curious to attempt glass "correction" on more hammered glass and am using CeriGlass by Car Pro with fantastic results. That's a step up in aggressiveness and is a messy, time consuming process but if worked correctly produces phenomenal results for me.

These aren't product recommendations from me and are shared because of my experience. There are several glass specific products offered by AG but those are the ones i've tried and had great success with. I will undoubtedly try McKee's glass product. Bottom line for me? Yes, glass specific products got me better results than simply taking a paint product and buffing glass.

goldenlight
03-14-2016, 10:31 AM
I just use a car compound with the most agressive pad to get rid of Watar spots. There are some Glass polishes that remove scratches as well.

forrest@mothers
03-14-2016, 11:29 AM
Glass is much harder than paint, so a compound for paint may not give the results you want on glass.

I'm a big believer in the correct product for the surface.

Use a glass polish on glass, and a paint polish on paint.