PDA

View Full Version : Removing street line paint

Pages : [1] 2

hooley
03-14-2016, 04:51 AM
How do you guys go about removing street line paint off of cars. My mom was a little careless and road over a solid white line whioe it was wet. I am going to detail her car and would like to get the paint off of the side of the vehicle and in the wheel well? Thank you for your time reading this and any help is appriciated

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

GSKR
03-14-2016, 05:24 AM
Fender wells can be blasted with a pressure washer to remove paint.Try clay first to remove paint,then if it deosnt work lacquer thinner will remove it.If you choose the thinner route keep off rubber and plastics.Try plastic orange blades and see if it removes.pics would be great.

hooley
03-14-2016, 05:27 AM
I dont have any pictures. I seen it at christmas. I tried clay bar and mineral spirits. I told her i needed to do more research. I am going to go to chicago and see her for easter and attempt to clean and detail the car

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

GSKR
03-14-2016, 05:53 AM
ok when you get there buy a small can of lacquer thinner.Being that it's been on there for a little this would be my go to plan of attack.order chemical guys black clay for 15 bucks it performs really good on situations like that.But be aware white road paint when removed it comes off like in pebbles and may get stuck in clay.I don't like to pre spray clearcoat with goo gone as it may soften clear.Try clay if not lacquer thinner with white terry disposable cloths should work with patience,do you have a pressure washer there ?

hooley
03-14-2016, 05:54 AM
Yes i will have a pressure washer there. Thank you for the advice. I will order the clay and pick up lacquer thinner.

GSKR
03-14-2016, 06:11 AM
See if you can blast off some paint on the car it's self ,as this will reduce a lot of time ,if it's gas washer use a green tip.If it's electric might not have enough punch to remove.you can pm when you get there as I have other last resort plan.

GSKR
03-14-2016, 06:13 AM
Get some plastic orange blades so maybe you can chip away at it safely.

hooley
03-14-2016, 06:16 AM
Ok thank you

Paul A.
03-14-2016, 08:26 AM
I use the least aggressive approach to everything detailing. High pressure water then clay. For the remaining little dots i use Acetone and q tips. And then fully flush and rewash the area.

Mike lambert
03-14-2016, 10:03 AM
Wd40 and plastic razor blade, works every time

GSKR
03-14-2016, 10:26 AM
Wd40 and plastic razor blade, works every timeI gotta try that .wd 40 will remove if it's heavey kinda like splashed on and on tires.or is it mostly good for specs and dot like.whats in wd 40 that eradicates paint.I wonder if tire dressing being its a silicone will do the same.

Detailing by M
03-14-2016, 09:43 PM
depends on how old it is
a pressure washer will work but if it doesn't then your in for a lot of work. You either have to pick it off with razor blades, scribes and the like.
If you choose chemicals then you'll have to soak, clean, soak, clean and do that for a few days.
Road paint is a horrible sticky substance that stick to anything and sticks well.

Fast Eddie
03-14-2016, 09:47 PM
depends on how old it is
a pressure washer will work but if it doesn't then your in for a lot of work. You either have to pick it off with razor blades, scribes and the like.
If you choose chemicals then you'll have to soak, clean, soak, clean and do that for a few days.
Road paint is a horrible sticky substance that stick to anything and sticks well.

Yep, been there done that. Never had a pressure washer, lacquer thinner or wd40 remove anything but super fresh road paint. I did a BMW a couple months back that had all 4 wheel wells covered on wheel paint, it was a nightmare. I do have some specific road paint remover, it works but it's not cheap.

hooley
03-14-2016, 09:48 PM
I know its been on there for 4 months. I am not sure how much longer

hooley
03-14-2016, 09:52 PM
What is the road paint remover called