PDA

View Full Version : Lime/calcium blotches on car?

Pages : [1] 2 3

tguil
03-13-2016, 07:31 PM
My daughter called and asked how to remove a bunch of pigeon droppings on her Subaru. I suggested that she try the usual Autogeek recommendations. They didn't work. She also tried some bug and tar remover. That didn't work either. Her car was parked in an older underground garage. She might be dealing with severe lime or calcium deposits. Any suggestion for removing spots caused by either of these "enemies"? Vinegar? She lives in Minneapolis and they use some pretty nasty stuff on their streets in the winter.

Sorry no pics. I'll see her in a couple of weeks and plan to take all of my detailing "stuff" with when I travel "up north " to see if I can remove the spots.

Jeff Wagner
03-14-2016, 12:23 AM
My daughter called and asked how to remove a bunch of pigeon droppings on her Subaru. I suggested that she try the usual Autogeek recommendations. They didn't work. She also tried some bug and tar remover. That didn't work either. Her car was parked in an older underground garage. She might be dealing with severe lime or calcium deposits. Any suggestion for removing spots caused by either of these "enemies"? Vinegar? She lives in Minneapolis and they use some pretty nasty stuff on their streets in the winter.

Sorry no pics. I'll see her in a couple of weeks and plan to take all of my detailing "stuff" with when I travel "up north " to see if I can remove the spots.

Bring your buffer, some compound, and a cutting pad. Good luck :xyxthumbs:

DaHen
03-14-2016, 02:16 AM
Stop by a grocery store and pick up a bottle of CLR, (calcium, lime, rust). I've had good luck with it in removing calcium deposits off of cars.

tguil
03-14-2016, 08:11 PM
Pics of the damage. It looks worse than I thought. My daughter said that with some hard rubbing (microfiber cloth) using bug and tar remover she was able to remove some of it. Could it actually be pigeon poop? That's what she first thought.

RaskyR1
03-15-2016, 10:55 AM
Pics of the damage. It looks worse than I thought. My daughter said that with some hard rubbing (microfiber cloth) using bug and tar remover she was able to remove some of it. Could it actually be pigeon poop? That's what she first thought.

It's hard to tell what it is considering how it ran down the paint (runny), but it does look more like surface staining and not etching. I'd be more inclined to think it was dripping from the parking garage given how rounded off it is on the top, but maybe the pigeon had the runs! :D

IMO It looks as if it would polish off rather easily though.

Setec Astronomy
03-15-2016, 11:59 AM
Optimum MDR Mineral Deposit Remover, water spot remover for paint, water spot remover glass (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-mdr-water-spot-remover.html)

tguil
03-15-2016, 02:11 PM
Rasky,

Thanks for taking a look at the "mess" and offering a suggestion for fixing it. It do have a variety of compounds, polishes and pads for a pc. I could haul up my rotary but that probably would be overkill.

Tom

tguil
03-15-2016, 02:17 PM
Setec,

Do you think that the ONR Mineral Deposit Remover is really strong enough to cut this crud? I had thought about using a white vinegar solution to see what effect it had. White vinegar has worked for me to remove mineral water spots on black vehicles

I'd follow up with a polish or compound.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Tom

tguil
03-15-2016, 02:23 PM
Jeff and DaHen,

Thanks too for your suggestions.

Tom

RaskyR1
03-15-2016, 03:19 PM
Rasky,

Thanks for taking a look at the "mess" and offering a suggestion for fixing it. It do have a variety of compounds, polishes and pads for a pc. I could haul up my rotary but that probably would be overkill.

Tom

No problem. Where is she located?

I've seen similar stains like that on my wife's car and I was able to remove them by hand with a mild polish, but without seeing it in person there is no way to know for sure.

tguil
03-15-2016, 03:50 PM
No problem. Where is she located?

I've seen similar stains like that on my wife's car and I was able to remove them by hand with a mild polish, but without seeing it in person there is no way to know for sure.

Minneapolis...about three miles from downtown. I'll start the correction with my "mild stuff" and work up as needed.

RaskyR1
03-15-2016, 03:53 PM
Minneapolis...about three miles from downtown. I'll start the correction with my "mild stuff" and work up as needed.

Ok. I'm up in Eden Prairie so if she wanted to swing by one weekend I could fix it too. :props:

tguil
03-15-2016, 04:38 PM
Ok. I'm up in Eden Prairie so if she wanted to swing by one weekend I could fix it too. :props:

Thanks so much. I'll be in Minneapolis over Easter and will see what I can do. It gives me a chance to be a "dad" again. Over the years I have spent many hours on her vehicles...and she knows that I am much better at it than her husband, a great guy but not a "car nut". I'll let you know how things turn out.

Tom

Setec Astronomy
03-15-2016, 06:47 PM
Do you think that the ONR Mineral Deposit Remover is really strong enough to cut this crud? I had thought about using a white vinegar solution to see what effect it had. White vinegar has worked for me to remove mineral water spots on black vehicles

MDR is 10-20% phosphoric acid, so I'm quite sure it's going to be better than white vinegar. That being said, I haven't used mine yet, but I can tell you my friend got some of those parking garage mineral deposits on her car years ago, and they were a bear to get off. Of course after I had spent a long time polishing and posted a thread about it (on the other forum) someone suggested I should have tried some sort of chemical treatment first and I had a D'oh moment.

tguil
03-15-2016, 07:48 PM
MDR is 10-20% phosphoric acid, so I'm quite sure it's going to be better than white vinegar. That being said, I haven't used mine yet, but I can tell you my friend got some of those parking garage mineral deposits on her car years ago, and they were a bear to get off. Of course after I had spent a long time polishing and posted a thread about it (on the other forum) someone suggested I should have tried some sort of chemical treatment first and I had a D'oh moment.

Wish I had time to order it and give it a try. I may end up with a "D'oh moment".