PDA

View Full Version : Addicted to weather apps

Cabrio
03-13-2016, 02:43 PM
Before the invent of the smart phone and weather apps, how did we fuel our passion for car detailing without looking at our weather apps every other hour...so how many weather apps do you have?

WAXOFF
03-13-2016, 03:01 PM
Before smart phones we got a lot more done. no weather apps. I look at the sky because the Weather forecasters never get it right around here anyway. I never had a smart phone until last July and now I'm as guilty as the next person. I used to just keep working but now you have a tendency to take a break and sit down and start looking to see "whats new on Autogeek" LOL

TTQ B4U
03-13-2016, 03:07 PM
I like Weatherbug and Rain Alarm Pro which is a great widget I keep on one of my home screens. Rain Alarm will notify you based on your settings as to how far away rain is. I have it scan 40 miles in radius and thus I usually have plenty of time to make it home if needed.

AZpolisher15
03-13-2016, 04:01 PM
I like weatherbug, too. It's simple, and not a as cluttered as some others. For radar- I like MyRadar Pro. It also comes in a free version I think. It's the best radar I've found. I like simplicity on my radars. Not a lot of junk on the screen that you don't need.

Rmd
03-14-2016, 01:19 AM
I like Wunderground. Dark skies is good too, but not as good as the free Wunderground.

GSKR
03-14-2016, 05:37 AM
Florida is unpredictable.There has been countless times beautiful day then all of sudden you get that one cloud down pours for 5 to 10 min then it's gone.Doing any work near the Atlantic always poses a promblem.Hobe sound which is 20 min south off Stuart constantly rains there.

TTQ B4U
03-14-2016, 07:21 AM
Florida is unpredictable.There has been countless times beautiful day then all of sudden you get that one cloud down pours for 5 to 10 min then it's gone.Doing any work near the Atlantic always poses a promblem.Hobe sound which is 20 min south off Stuart constantly rains there.

Rain Alarm was made for you. Not sure if there's an iOS Version.

parshooter
03-14-2016, 08:09 AM
I use Weatherbug and the default app that's on my phone. A friend is a weather geek. He has all the weather apps on his phone. I asked him and he said that no two apps have the same info. I do use it to schedule my washings.

Paul A.
03-14-2016, 08:19 AM
I have 3 apps on my iPad and 2 on my phone. I learned from my old flying days how important weather monitoring is and it has come a long way. Parshooter hit on my philosphy too...you can get different info on a few different apps. I am always looking at my forecasted weather and pretty much know what to expect when. Then i have a radar site up and know when i'm going to get hit with precip when i'm working.

Many times in FL it's a matter of seeing a cell develop then eventually move over or near me or anticipate the arrival of a frontal line and wait for it to pass. When that happens, the vehicle gets buttoned up if outside (wash, decon or interior) and moved inside until it clears to finish any tasks performed outside. Precip isn't too much of a problem...it's the lightning we get that i don't like! Another aspect of the weather that's been wreaking havoc on my work lately is the March winds. I don't know if i hate rain worse than wind. Some pretty deep atmospheric pressure differences have been blowing tree debris and pollen everywhere lately! Arrrggghhhh!!!

I have also been known to reschedule a client if we are due for prolonged periods of precip.

FUNX650
03-14-2016, 10:31 AM
Because of this thread-starter:

1.) I just looked and there evidently was a
weather app (The Weather Channel) already
installed on my phone.

2.) Brought back the memories that I was fortunate
enough to have attended an elementary school,
whose teachers taught the fundamentals of weather
predicting by observing cloud formations as part
of the curriculum.

•Although The Weather Channel site does
seem to have some interesting features:
-I will probably find myself still using the old
fashioned method of weather predicting by
observing the category and shape of cloud
formations occurring in my local area.

Or just learn to take a look out the back
window: that's how "The Good Wife" does it.

Bob

GSKR
03-14-2016, 10:32 AM
Because of this thread-starter:

1.) I just looked and there evidently was a weather app
(The Weather Channel) already installed on my phone.

2.) Brought back the memories that I was fortunate
enough to have attended an elementary school,
whose teachers taught the fundamentals of weather
predicting by observing cloud formations as part
of the curriculum.

•Although The Weather Channel site does
seem to have some interesting features:
-I will probably find myself still using the old
fashioned method of weather predicting by
observing the category and shape of cloud
formations occurring in my local area.

Or just learn to take a look out the back
window: that's how "The Good Wife" does it.

Bobfunny :props: