PDA

View Full Version : McKee's 37 Wheel Glaze

ScottH
03-13-2016, 11:47 AM
Dear Forum Members,

This week I received my first order of McKee 37 products, which included the wheel glaze. The other products were Fast Wax (spray), Trademark paste Wax (Max wax replacement), 360AIO and Power Wash soap/wax.

Yesterday I tried the wheel glaze for the first time, on my wife's Audi A4. Please forgive me - just after washing a light rust formed over the brake discs (as with most cars these days). Next time I will deal with that before taking pics :-)

Observations:

1. The product's consistency is like a thick pudding. Not as thick as a paste wax but not runny either like a liquid - somewhere in between.

2. After cleaning the wheels with DP wheel cleaner (not McKee's new product) I wiped them dry with a terry cloth towel.

3. I applied the wheel glaze with the white applicator shown in the pic. I suspect I could have used a foam pad but like to save them for waxing the paint. Applying took less than 5 minutes per wheel. You don't want to rush, because you want to do your best to cover as much of the wheel as possible. The glaze hazes over within 2 minutes (65 degree day, low humidity).

4 Once set up, I removed with a MF. Product removal was relatively easy. It doesn't remove as easy as a high end carnauba wax would from paint, but was not difficult by any means. Do one wheel at a time though - it may have been much harder to remove if is set on there longer.

5. The car gets hand washed at least once a week, so the wheel were in decent condition and truth is, not much brake dust accumulates in a week anyway, as she drives less than 100 miles per week. But being 4 years old, some of the shine the wheels has when new wasn't really there anymore. Well that changed after the wheel glaze. It seems to bring the shine/reflection up a notch or two (compare before and after pics) after one use.

6. While removing the glaze I also noticed it removed a few small tar spots that must have stuck to the wheels. This was a nice surprise and I suspect the glaze will prevent tar from sticking in the future, or at the very least, make it much easier to remove.

7. After removing the product, there was a "wax like" feel like behind on the wheel. It felt very smooth.

8. The product smells nice - it is not harsh smelling at all.

I would be remiss if I tried to indicate how well it worked in preventing brake dust. That I can do before I wash the car next weekend. I am hopeful the wheels have less brake dust on them than normal, and if any can be found, that it rinses off easily.

I will likely get into the habit of applying this once a month to keep the protection and shine up. As far as how much product I used for 4 wheels - not much at all. I would suspect this jar would easily last through 25 applications (give or take the size of the wheels). For me, this would mean approx. 1 jar every 2 years (applied once a month) and for that it seems like a great buy.

Will post back next week before weekend wash.

ScottH

jamesboyy
03-13-2016, 03:06 PM
For some Audi wheels you definitely stay on top of them, they are pristine and that glaze adds that extra pop that have you stare in amazement

ScottH
03-20-2016, 04:11 PM
Forum members,

As promised here is the 'one week' shot before washing. The car was driven for the last 7 days - probably around 125 miles with 75% of that local (non-highway) driving, and as you can see the wheel has very little brake dust on it. As mentioned below, I hand wash the car each week so the wheels are never neglected. While there is some brake dust on them now, it is a marked improvement over no wheel glaze and the wheels are even easier to clean. There was no need to break out the wheel brush - a rinse and a wheel-dedicated sponge was all it took. I will reapply the wheel glaze once a month now that I've seen the results first hand.

I can't compare this to the McKee 37 wheel coating as I've never used it, but would highly recommend this to anyone who wants to give their wheels a little extra care and see the results.

ScottH

The Guz
03-20-2016, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the update. I always had good results with DP Wheel Glaze which is now McKee's.