PDA

View Full Version : Exploding Polishing Pad

JHartman
03-13-2016, 11:03 AM
Weather was finally good enough to start my correction project. Using a GG6 and LC Hydro-Tech pads, I did everything by the book in terms of prepping the pads, cleaning on the go, rotating pads after each section. I used the 4" pad on a 3.5 " plate for the trim and mirrors, and of the 3 orange HT pads, one is fine, one is severely cupped, concave, and one literally exploded. The scarlet polishing pads, all 3, worked just fine.
Question is, did I cause these 2 pads to cup and explode or did I happen to get a few bad pads?
Any insight is appreciated as I will now be replacing the pads and am thinking of going to another brand. Thanks all.

Mike Honcho
03-13-2016, 11:56 AM
Overheated, maybe?

WAXOFF
03-13-2016, 12:52 PM
Probably you are putting to much pressure on the pad. Remember pressure causes friction. Friction causes heat and heat causes failure. Try to ease up a little and if you get a better result.

rlmccarty2000
03-13-2016, 12:58 PM
I'm starting to think these 4 inch pads just can't take the heat and should only be used for very short times or at very low speeds. I had two Rupes green 4 inch pads delaminate on me and I was very careful. I've yet to have a 5 or 6 inch pad self destruct (either lucky or careful) but the 4 inch pads seem to be delicate. I'm probably moving on to 4 inch microfiber pads.

JHartman
03-13-2016, 01:10 PM
I was running at 5 on the GG6 and applying only as much pressure as needed to prevent the pad from mushrooming. Good advice from you guys;thanks!

cardaddy
03-13-2016, 04:02 PM
Too much pressure, combined with waaaaaaaaay too much speed for a 4" pad. Maybe even too much product.

If you have ANY damage to pads from heat they'll get thin just like yours did. If you have too much pressure, combined with that heat they'll collapse on you.

Thing is... product loads up in soft pads and severely limits their ability to dissipate heat. That and it also makes them heavier. Combine that with pressure and speed and you are looking at a recipe for disaster.... IE pad explosion.

While you can run your 5½" (or larger) pads on speed 5, even speed 6 for short times.... you CAN NOT run 4" pads that fast, or that long.

Chalk this one up to lessons learned. ;)
Remember the poll, where most people said "Technique" was the single most important factor? Well.... this is why. :D

Ebg18t
03-13-2016, 05:03 PM
Overheated.