PDA

View Full Version : Restore white plastic?

NuthinFancy
03-13-2016, 08:26 AM
There's tons of info about black plastic but how can I restore white plastic that has yellowed? I have seen some hobby type info about soaking parts in a solution that sounds straight out of the Anarchist's Cookbook but I don't think it's appropriate in this situation
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s139/nuthinfancy_photos/yellowed_zpscvqg63gl.png

LEDetailing
03-13-2016, 08:53 AM
There's tons of info about black plastic but how can I restore white plastic that has yellowed? I have seen some hobby type info about soaking parts in a solution that sounds straight out of the Anarchist's Cookbook but I don't think it's appropriate in this situation
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s139/nuthinfancy_photos/yellowed_zpscvqg63gl.png

I would look at reprinting that (RV?) trim. I would look around for a quality automotive plastic spray paint. Also, make sure to prep the plastic if you do go the painting route.

NuthinFancy
03-13-2016, 09:59 AM
lol- when I saw the first sentence, I thought you meant using a 3d printer.
Soon to come: "How I got snockered on my first "pro" gig."

LEDetailing
03-13-2016, 10:41 AM
Gotta love autocorrect:). Funny thing is that the 3D printer probably could produce a usable part. Good luck

BillE
03-14-2016, 07:45 AM
RV's use two different 'whites'.

A "polar white"-that is 'white'. The other 'white' (who's name fails me) is what you are seeing on that unit. The reefer vent is 'polar' whereas the stove vent is the other white.

When they are new, the color difference isn't too bad. Then add sun and weather, etc...they just become more yellow.

Nuttin' you can do, it's just the 'wrong' color. It is frustrating to say the least.

Bill

NuthinFancy
03-14-2016, 03:29 PM
They used to use the same stuff on cheap dishwashers and other appliances trim. ABS plastic?

BillE
03-15-2016, 07:45 AM
ABS...I honestly don't remember.

Was gonna look at some old RV/Boat catalogs, but looks like they've all gone to paper heaven. Maybe contact a local RV dealer and ask 'em.

Bill

oldmodman
03-16-2016, 09:03 PM
I had that problem on a trailer I bought. The white plastic vents were white and chalky.

I removed them from the trailer and took them into the kitchen. Scrubbed them with a brush and Comet.

Then painted them with
Dupli-Color HVP105 Gloss White High Performance Vinyl and Fabric Spray

Still looks fine after five more years out in the sun and weather.

Once they get chalky they have to be painted.

NuthinFancy
03-18-2016, 04:22 AM
I'll have to give it a shot on mine. This job just isn't paying enough