PDA

View Full Version : Coatings and metallic flake

silverfox
03-13-2016, 07:16 AM
I've tried a couple of coatings on my red jewel tint coat paint. It has metallic flake and looks incredible in the sun. I've ended up polishing off both the coatings I've tried because they darkened the paint and ruined the metallic effect.

Since then I've stayed away from coatings. One was CQUK. The other was the original opti coat. Since then many coatings have come onto the market.

Has anyone used a coating on metallic flaked paint especially red...that has enhanced the metallic flake effect, or at the very least...not taken away from it?

Ebg18t
03-13-2016, 08:01 AM
I don't have red, but I have Midnight Blue metallic. CQUK had a great darkening effect and gloss. But I think the WG Uber Ceramic I just applied had better metallic. The WG didn't darken like the CQUK, which might be why the metallic looks different?. I am sure others will respond with more thoughts/opinions.

Mike lambert
03-13-2016, 08:27 AM
Pm me as I can't mention the brand here

kevincwelch
03-13-2016, 08:34 AM
Gtechniq C1/EXOv2 definitely darkened my deep blue metallic paint. I actually like that, but YMMV.

jmsc
03-13-2016, 10:22 AM
I also don't like ANY lsp that darkens paint. Some love its effect. Others hate it. To each its own.

TTQ B4U
03-13-2016, 10:50 AM
I've tried a couple of coatings on my red jewel tint coat paint. It has metallic flake and looks incredible in the sun. I've ended up polishing off both the coatings I've tried because they darkened the paint and ruined the metallic effect.

Since then I've stayed away from coatings. One was CQUK. The other was the original opti coat. Since then many coatings have come onto the market.

I also don't like ANY lsp that darkens paint. Some love its effect. Others hate it. To each its own.

The above affect is why so many black car lovers like them. I coated mine initially because I wanted to jump right in but then I had to finish correcting the surface comletely in some areas thus ended up removing it.

Looking at my car today after several coats of Blacklight and a sealant, I find virtually no difference other than I will simply just need to keep up reapplying Blacklight. I'm okay with that. The appearance and depth of my car is amazing and right up there with my previous coating.

cleanmycorolla
03-13-2016, 10:53 AM
I used Gloss Coat on my metallic paint, and with good prep, the flake was popping!