PDA

View Full Version : Please help educate me on all these new coatings

Tmcbigblue
03-12-2016, 08:43 PM
I've been out of the detail game for a while due to various reasons, but I just purchased a new vehicle and it seems there is a lot I need to catch up on. I'm really interested in a nano coating type product, but I don't know where to start. I've read a little on most of them, but I would like to hear what everyone is using and recommends? Thanks for the help!

GSKR
03-12-2016, 08:47 PM
Utube carpro uk.

FinishingTouchA
03-12-2016, 10:17 PM
Optimum Gloss Coat and the new Wolfgang coating are both extremely user friendly and very good coatings. Honestly I wouldn't suggest Cquartz for a first timer.

Goin Rogue
03-12-2016, 10:19 PM
Used Gloss Coat today. Easier than waxing!

Tmcbigblue
03-12-2016, 10:32 PM
Actually optimum is most used and loved products. I'm using opti-seal now with their quick detailer. I love onr, but I am currently out. I'm sure their coating is awesome as well. I love opti-seal and I have the old version. I have been wondering if the latest version is a improvement.

Tmcbigblue
03-12-2016, 10:36 PM
Any idea how opti coat compares to opti seal in the looks department? Do people usually top a coating? Do you maintain the shine and slickness the same way as you would another sealant or wax? Thanks for the help!

Mike lambert
03-12-2016, 10:56 PM
I'm not allowed to say what I use here so pm me

custmsprty
03-12-2016, 11:09 PM
Polish Angel. Most easy to use, no strings attached.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/custmsprty/EscalateViking3_zpsemwieiw0.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/custmsprty/media/EscalateViking3_zpsemwieiw0.jpg.html)

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/custmsprty/PAVK1_zpsuglkywsu.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/custmsprty/media/PAVK1_zpsuglkywsu.jpg.html)

AZpolisher15
03-12-2016, 11:10 PM
Any idea how opti coat compares to opti seal in the looks department? Do people usually top a coating? Do you maintain the shine and slickness the same way as you would another sealant or wax? Thanks for the help!

You can top some coatings. Topping is not recommended for other coatings. See each manufacturers recommendations.

There are often brand-specific "maintenance" products, as well as coating prep products.

Some are quite easy to apply, while others require some attention.

I'd look at the coatings in the AG store, then come over to the forum and search for each one individually by name. You will find a ton of reviews on all of them (mostly good! Aside from a few noting the learning curve regarding application of some products).

If you are someone that likes to work on your vehicle and try out different products every few weeks/months, stick to waxes and sealers. If you want to apply something and then walk away for 1+ years, then a coating may be right for you!

FinishingTouchA
03-12-2016, 11:49 PM
I always top Gloss-Coat and Opti-Coat Pro with Opti-Seal after 1 hour. Maintenance free after that, just bi-weekly washes with ONR :)

Tmcbigblue
03-17-2016, 02:49 PM
Anyone used mckee's 37 paint coating or blackfires paint coating? How would these compare?

Setec Astronomy
03-17-2016, 06:48 PM
There's lots of good coatings today. Can't go wrong with the Optimum ones.

Only thing I'll say is the mindset is a little different, you want to get the car really good looking before you coat, and you need to be careful after, due to the prep and the cost of the products (and to some degree the shelf life). It's not like with traditional products where you decide the week after you could have polished out that fender a little better so you do it and throw some more Opti-Seal on top.

Not that it's like repainting the car, but it's a little more work than a standard sealant.

Tmcbigblue
03-18-2016, 03:29 PM
I ordered some gloss coat today along with some other stuff. I just really have been happy with optimum products and I actually called them with a few questions and provided excellent customer service. I'm pretty excited to try my first coating. I'll try to post some pics when complete. Thanks for all the help!

Mike@ShineStruck
03-18-2016, 03:37 PM
I've purchased a few coatings
Glosscoat, uber, crystsl Serum light and one from Florida I guess I'm not technically allowed to mention lol
Only used the last one so far... Was stupid Simple for never using a NANO coatings.. I'd dare to say it made my silver car shine like PEARL lol..but seriously it did make my silver glossy..bird poop washes away just by rain