PDA

View Full Version : How to keep a black truck clean?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Drewster2010
03-12-2016, 10:28 AM
Hey all,
I just bought a 2006 f350 black crew cab truck.
In Massachusetts the winter is very harsh on vehicles (very mild winter this year)
Anyway what do I need to do to keep it clean and shiny?
In deffintly thinking about ordering a foam cannon, pressure washer one
Who's soap should I use? I hear chemical guys is okay but never really talked to anyone who used it
After I wash it how do I dry it?
Wax after every wash?
Any tips? Thanks

Paul A.
03-12-2016, 10:50 AM
First of all, welcome to AGO, Drewster2010! I also have a black vehicle and have simply settled for weekly washes. I have surrendered being a daily slave to it. Once a week i foam gun mine, blow dry as much as i can off and then very gently get the remaining water with WWMF towels with VERY LIGHT PRESSURE. Once dry i like Pinnacle Crystal Mist as a quick detailer and shine booster. Then just drive it for 6 days! I wouldn't consider waxing it after every wash.

If you need to satisfy yourself with more frequent washings you might consider Optimum No Rinse or one of the rinseless washes. They're quick and easy.

Another consideration for you is at least a sealant and more preferably a coating that will give you protection longer.

2011 Kona Blue
03-12-2016, 10:57 AM
Hey all,
In Massachusetts the winter is very harsh on vehicles (very mild winter this year)
Who's soap should I use? I hear chemical guys is okay but never really talked to anyone who used it
Wax after every wash?
Any tips? Thanks

I have found a secret too keeping black cars clean. Don't ever get a black car. Ba ha ha ha. I use the foam gun and really love it. I also use Mr. Pink wash soap from Chemical Guys. When it comes to drying off I use a rubber floppy squeegy blade for the main water. Then I use a leaf blower on top of that. Does a great job.

No need to wax every time you wash. Just use a good carnuba wax and it should last a good three months. Or a sealant for 6 months to year coverage.

Drewster2010
03-12-2016, 11:05 AM
I have found a secret too keeping black cars clean. Don't ever get a black car. Ba ha ha ha. I use the foam gun and really love it. I also use Mr. Pink wash soap from Chemical Guys. When it comes to drying off I use a rubber floppy squeegy blade for the main water. Then I use a leaf blower on top of that. Does a great job.

No need to wax every time you wash. Just use a good carnuba wax and it should last a good three months. Or a sealant for 6 months to year coverage.

do you have a foam gun for the pressure washer or the hose? Would you recommend the chemical guys soap? What about their waxes? They have so many products I'm not sure what to look at,
Other brands in general just so much different info

custmsprty
03-12-2016, 11:08 AM
You should forget about " wax " and go with a Sealant like HD Poxy, reasonably priced, looks great on black and is easy to apply and remove.

3D Professional Detailing Products, HD car care, 3D HD (http://www.autogeek.net/3d-car-care-products.html)

3D HD Poxy - Montan Wax & Sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/3d-hd-poxy.html)

I use a foam gun. By the time you pull out a pressure washer I'll be half way done with my wash with a foam gun.

CG Honey Dew Snow Foam is my favorite for a foam gun, it foams like no other.

Paul A.
03-12-2016, 11:22 AM
My personal favorite soaps...

DuraGloss 902 and,

Megs Hyper Wash

custmsprty
03-12-2016, 11:26 AM
Yeah I forgot about Duragloss 902 :iagree:

I'll wash my pollen covered Rogue with the 902 tomorrow and check back in.

Drewster2010
03-12-2016, 12:04 PM
You should forget about " wax " and go with a Sealant like HD Poxy, reasonably priced, looks great on black and is easy to apply and remove.

3D Professional Detailing Products, HD car care, 3D HD (http://www.autogeek.net/3d-car-care-products.html)

3D HD Poxy - Montan Wax & Sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/3d-hd-poxy.html)

I use a foam gun. By the time you pull out a pressure washer I'll be half way done with my wash with a foam gun.

CG Honey Dew Snow Foam is my favorite for a foam gun, it foams like no other.

For the hd proxy is that the same as like using chemical guys butterwet wax and then a sealing? Like what's the difference? Sorry for the noob questions

LEDetailing
03-12-2016, 12:09 PM
Welcome to AGO.

Some products you might consider.

-Any quality spray wax, you will hear a lot of good reviews on Meguiars's X press wax (d156) $27.99 for a gallon at autogeek.net. I use this after almost every weekly wash. Trust me a gallon of this stuff is a steal when compared to buying it retail for $8 per 16-20oz spray bottle.

-car wash shampoo. I have had really good luck with Meguiar's gold class shampoo. My new favorite is Optimum's car wash. I honestly think there are so many quality shampoos that you probably will be ok with any of the choices on autogeek.

-My new favorite sealant is Blackfire's Wet Diamond Sealant. I can't believe how slick, shiny, and smooth my paint feels after BFWD. I promise you will love this product. Top it with a quality carnauba and it's amazing the way your paint will shine.

Drying towels I would look at all the quality microfibers on Autogeek. Griots garage brand has some great towels for drying as do a lot of manufacturers.

I've never used a foam cannon, but on a big truck it sounds like a huge time saver. Read all the reviews and watch videos of the different cannons with different soaps.

-If you don't have grit guards buy a couple and try the two bucket wash method.

Good luck

AZ Mike
03-12-2016, 12:29 PM
Welcome to Autogeek. Any of the major brands make good products. I happen to like Meguiars. I use their shampoo, D114 Rinse Free Express Wash, D156 spray wax, and others I use Pinnacle polishes, because I used them at Mike Phillips Detailing Boot Camp. 3D HD has some great products. Their HD Speed All In One has received fantastic reviews so I have a bottle of that waiting for warm weather. You really can't go wrong with any of the brands sold on AG.

2011 Kona Blue
03-12-2016, 01:43 PM
do you have a foam gun for the pressure washer or the hose? Would you recommend the chemical guys soap? What about their waxes? They have so many products I'm not sure what to look at,
Other brands in general just so much different info

I have the foam gun that hooks up to the hose. Works great. I like Mr. Pink car shampoo from Chemical guys. Chemical guys has an assorted amount of waxes but I really like their Butter Wet Carnuba Wax. Goes on easy and comes off easy. Protects the paint for 3 months. I have also used Chemical Guys M Seal sealant and they claim it protects up to 6 months.

I also use products from Autogeek as well.

TTQ B4U
03-12-2016, 01:49 PM
Hey all,
Wax after every wash?
Any tips? Thanks

Dual black vehicle family here checking in. My approach:

Key to keeping it perfect is in the wash and dry technique. Quality microfiber towels to dry. Pat dry, don't wipe.
Spray detailer to aid in drying and after to keep the surface shiny. Never wipe a dry anything on your paint.
Don't try and sray detail/wipe a dusty car; use a rinseless wash and a wet MF Towel
I now LOVE Chemical Guys Blacklight.
Use a good sealer or wax as your final product.

2011 Kona Blue
03-12-2016, 01:51 PM
Dual black vehicle family here checking in. My approach:

Key to keeping it perfect is in the wash and dry technique. Quality microfiber towels to dry. Pat dry, don't wipe.
Spray detailer to aid in drying and after to keep the surface shiny. Never wipe a dry anything on your paint.
Don't try and sray detail/wipe a dusty car; use a rinseless wash and a wet MF Towel
I now LOVE Chemical Guys Blacklight.
Use a good sealer or wax as your final product.

I just bought chemical guys black light. Is it a polish and sealant or just a polish?

TTQ B4U
03-12-2016, 02:08 PM
I just bought chemical guys black light. Is it a polish and sealant or just a polish?
Glaze and mild sealant. I still recommend a good top coat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Rsurfer
03-12-2016, 03:06 PM
Glaze and mild sealant. I still recommend a good top coat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

V7 seems to be a good topper for Blacklight.:props: