PDA

View Full Version : Toddlers and Cars

Pages : [1] 2

CavScout10
03-09-2016, 07:07 AM
My buddy just bought a newer Tundra, he has a 5 year old daughter who eats and drinks in the back. Wondering what he can do for cloth protection? Something besides CQuartz. Thanks Guys

GSKR
03-09-2016, 07:23 AM
Just keep cleaning it from time to time,and use a fabric protector of your choice.cquartz is a nice product but kind of pricey for a small bottle.keep those juice boxes out of the car,they attract ants big time.I had a 07 mustang gt convertible riddled with ants,popped off the door sill and I couldn't believe what I saw.

Audios S6
03-09-2016, 07:39 AM
303 fabric guard is very popular, or at least it used to be before things like CQ came along.

I have no shame in being the guy to say, don't let the kid eat and drink in the car. It's a simple and effective solution. If the kid can't wait 20 minutes to eat or drink, there's likely a bigger problem that should be addressed before cloth seat protection.

kevincwelch
03-09-2016, 08:03 AM
I have no shame in being the guy to say, don't let the kid eat and drink in the car. It's a simple and effective solution. If the kid can't wait 20 minutes to eat or drink, there's likely a bigger problem that should be addressed before cloth seat protection.

Hmmm. I don't know you well at all, but I'm going to wage a shiny nickel that you don't have kids. Or if you do, they're not toddlers or school aged kids. These freakin' monsters eat and snack constantly. Between the often long rides home from school or soccer or gymnastics events, kids need snacks. Ever listen to a 4 year old whine for 20 minutes straight about being hungry?

Oy.

It's not a control issue, and it's not that the kids are out of control obese monsters. Kids get hungry.

I just protect my leather with Swissvax (mine) and Wolfgang (wife's) and use 303 for the fabric areas.

Weather Tech mats are also good for the floors and crumb debris.

This and frequent vacuuming.

(Sent via my mobile device)

Audios S6
03-09-2016, 08:42 AM
Hmmm. I don't know you well at all, but I'm going to wage a shiny nickel that you don't have kids. Or if you do, they're not toddlers or school aged kids. These freakin' monsters eat and snack constantly. Between the often long rides home from school or soccer or gymnastics events, kids need snacks. Ever listen to a 4 year old whine for 20 minutes straight about being hungry?

It's not a control issue, and it's not that the kids are out of control obese monsters. Kids get hungry.

I have two kids. A 6 month old and a 4 year old. The 4 year old doesn't eat or drink in the car. Perhaps it was my upbringing, but I never ate in the car either; it was simple a matter of fact in our household, you don't eat in the car. I don't need a shiny nickle, paypal will do ;)

WAXOFF
03-09-2016, 08:49 AM
Mine never ate either. There was no touching the windows either. Sit with your hands on your lap. Now that being said I have my first Granchild on the way in June. I'm sure with my wife her car will be a disaster. With me he will have to stay hungry until we get home. I don't even want to put a car seat in my Jeep. If he is going to puke it might as well be in the lease car. Just get one of these then.

Pet Pad Seat Cover Bench Style (http://www.autogeek.net/benchstyle.html)

Desertnate
03-09-2016, 08:55 AM
Something that I found helpful was to put a towel behind/under the car seat.

Years ago, Sky Mall (yes, that Sky Mall), had these seat vests that had a hole cut at the top which went around the headrest to hold it in place and the towel-like fabric covered an area the size of a single passenger. I placed that on the seat and then installed the car seat over it. Worked like a charm and saved the seat of the car. There maybe something like it still on the market today.

My kids didn't eat/drink in the car all the time, but there were times it was necessary. Having a sacrificial layer on top of the seats was a life saver. Not only did it save the seat from food debris, but also catastrophic...um...blow outs....

tenblade2001
03-09-2016, 09:13 AM
Something that I found helpful was to put a towel behind/under the car seat.

Years ago, Sky Mall (yes, that Sky Mall), had these seat vests that had a hole cut at the top which went around the headrest to hold it in place and the towel-like fabric covered an area the size of a single passenger. I placed that on the seat and then installed the car seat over it. Worked like a charm and saved the seat of the car. There maybe something like it still on the market today.

My kids didn't eat/drink in the car all the time, but there were times it was necessary. Having a sacrificial layer on top of the seats was a life saver. Not only did it save the seat from food debris, but also catastrophic...um...blow outs....

an "updated version" of the towel is the yoga mat. Looks better (not so "I just mudered someone and want to hide the blood under this grungy towel"..look).
As far as kids not eating in the car...you better keep your trips under 30min. Any longer without food or drink and kids will be going nuts and make the drive hell.

Paul A.
03-09-2016, 09:37 AM
I hear ya kevin, it's difficult with young children but both of my kids have now grown and they never ate or drank anything but water in my car from birth. They just got used to "Dad's Car Rules". They knew they could get away with it in Mom's car and they fully accepted...well, at least complied...with Dad's Rules.

As they got older and i got a new car it was almost a comical routine to recite Dad's Rules as we pulled out of the garage! Then they got older still and i would have them go over Dad's Rules to their friends whenever i played limo driver to the mall, movies etc. It was comical to hear them rifle off:

- no food or drink
- when drink is needed, Dad and only Dad, breaks the seal of the cap to insure it's water.
- no flatulence
- no vomiting. If the uncontrollable happens there is a window button within arms reach. You'll have an easier time removing it from my exterior paint than my carpet.

Yup, sounds funny i know but they got it from day 1 and were used to it.

Desertnate
03-09-2016, 09:51 AM
As far as kids not eating in the car...you better keep your trips under 30min. Any longer without food or drink and kids will be going nuts and make the drive hell.

I had Dad Rules too, but sometimes life happens. My wife's family hauler had fewer, "restrictions" due to it being the daily kid hauler and road trip vehicle.

One of my kids is slightly hypoglycemic, so some snacking while running around town or on short trips. When blood sugar levels drop, they get REALLY grumpy and irritable.

Paul A.
03-09-2016, 09:59 AM
Yes, absolutely understand that D Nate. Whats best for my kids would've ALWAYS trumped any silly OCD rules of mine.

kevincwelch
03-09-2016, 10:37 AM
Wow. You guys are disciplined. I have somewhat relaxed rules. They can have bars and one-way valve beverages. My wife let's them have nuts and popcorn, and that stuff gets all over the place!

s14rl
03-09-2016, 12:07 PM
I think that the necessity of eating/drinking in the car depends on a few factors - how long the car ride is, when the last time the child ate or drank was, and whether the child will have a chance to eat/drink at the destination. For kids with packed schedules who are involved in back to back sports or activities then you basically have no choice.

tenblade2001
03-09-2016, 03:29 PM
Wow. You guys are disciplined. I have somewhat relaxed rules. They can have bars and one-way valve beverages. My wife let's them have nuts and popcorn, and that stuff gets all over the place!

My car isn't the family hauler and trips are under 30min so clear one-way valve drinks ok...that's it. The wife's car is a free for all. The yoga mat stops a lot of damage.

Eldorado2k
03-09-2016, 03:35 PM
"Dad's Car Rules".
- no flatulence
- no vomiting.

Wow. You guys are disciplined.

Lmao😂 I'm surprised nobody mentioned/admitted to handcuffs.

My advice: Scotchgard.