PDA

View Full Version : How to remove scartches from dash cluster?

Pages : [1] 2

mycarmycar28582
03-08-2016, 10:26 PM
I mean the dash cluster really is scratched up... not deeply but it looks really scratched up. How can I remove these scratches?
Polish? Claybar? Wet sand?

AGOatemywallet
03-08-2016, 10:35 PM
Pictures Please

dcjredline
03-08-2016, 10:56 PM
Usually for me they improve quite a bit with some DP Headlight Polish used with a MF towel by hand. Dab some on a towel wrapped around your finger and gently rub it in. May have to rub harder if that doesn't do it.

Eldorado2k
03-09-2016, 02:12 PM
Usually for me they improve quite a bit with some DP Headlight Polish used with a MF towel by hand. Dab some on a towel wrapped around your finger and gently rub it in. May have to rub harder if that doesn't do it.

Thanks for the idea. I hadn't thought of using it there.. I've been meaning to pickup some Megs Plastx but I'll give this a try instead. Thx.

GSKR
03-09-2016, 03:49 PM
I mean the dash cluster really is scratched up... not deeply but it looks really scratched up. How can I remove these scratches?
Polish? Claybar? Wet sand?forget it,it's history nothing will remove it .maybe conceal but that's it.

GSKR
03-09-2016, 03:51 PM
I think you will mess it up more with polish.Is it your car or customer?

Eldorado2k
03-09-2016, 03:53 PM
I think you will mess it up more with polish.Is it your car or customer?

You're talking about the clear plastic covering the speedometer?

Mike Phillips
03-09-2016, 03:55 PM
How did the scratches get there in the first place?

I've removed scratches out of plastic gauges on muscle cars as the plastic was simpler and a lot easier to polish.

Meguiar's PlastX is probably the best plastic polish on the market but the problem is getting in there and working the polish. You don't just wipe it on and wipe it off.

:)

Eldorado2k
03-09-2016, 03:57 PM
I'm going outside to try... Be right back.

Eldorado2k
03-09-2016, 04:24 PM
Ok I tried the DP AIO Headlight Restoring Polish.
Before:

After:

I did a test spot on the bottom left portion of the plastic. This stuff is just too hard to completely wipe off. Probably due to not being worked in aggressively enough, but I can't exactly get aggressive on this plastic without running the risk of cracking it. I tried re activating it with more product but that didn't help. I'll continue to wipe with D114 or eventually just get some Megs Plastx.
I wouldn't recommend trying this product on here.

GSKR
03-09-2016, 06:54 PM
Try some wax on it ,may conceal some of those scratches.If you have a carpro suede cloth they work great on clusters and nav screens.

GSKR
03-09-2016, 06:58 PM
You're talking about the clear plastic covering the speedometer?so easy to scratch,try blotting when cleaning instead of wiping.

GSKR
03-09-2016, 07:04 PM
If the scratches are from a micro towel you may have a shot.muscle car plastics are thicker and the real older ones are glass,not the cheap stuff they put in cars today.

Eldorado2k
03-09-2016, 07:08 PM
so easy to scratch,try blotting when cleaning instead of wiping.

Whatever defects are on there right now happened long before I bought the car.. It's very minor, I just want to see if I can get it to look better.

the real older ones are glass,not the cheap stuff they put in cars today.

This is why I'm glad my Cadillac has real glass headlights.😉

GSKR
03-09-2016, 07:17 PM
Whatever defects are on there right now happened long before I bought the car.. It's very minor, I just want to see if I can get it to look better.

This is why I'm glad my Cadillac has real glass headlights.😉Oh ok then your safe,thought it was a customer car.