PDA

View Full Version : small backing plate issue

Neothin
06-23-2006, 07:25 PM
so ya, i went on a trip down to pompano for the past couple of days (off of school this week, so i went and visited my aunt) and I brought some of the detailing "stash" with me to do her G35 again. she had accumulated some swirling from some tunnel washes so i busted out the PC. when polishing I only use the smaller 4" pads. After about 1/2 hour of polishing on speed 6, the pad suddenly just flew off (causing me to almost force a pc running at speed 6 onto the paint!). I go to pick up the pad and notice that it has some yellow stuff on the back side of it. Upon closer inspection, the yellow stuff was actually the velcro and foam from the backing plate. The BP had actually melted in half.

This is not the first time that this has happened to me, actually, it's the third time. I know most of the reasoning behind it is that the smaller pad and backing plate can't dissapate heat as easily as the larger pads, but sheesh, why can't they make a BP that will stand up to extended use?! Has anyone else had this problem and/or know of a backing plate that won't melt on me?

abrcrombe
06-23-2006, 07:31 PM
Ever consider the edge 2000 kit? Or have you invested too much into pads?

ScottB
06-23-2006, 08:03 PM
this seems to be a more recent issue, maybe a bad batch of bp's ??

abrcrombe
06-23-2006, 08:05 PM
Killr, any knowledge on when Edge is sending out their 4 in pads?

justin_murphy
06-23-2006, 08:15 PM
Killr, any knowledge on when Edge is sending out their 4 in pads?

Be out in about a month from what I understand. I've gotta couple on the way to try out.

I'll take pics and review.

Neothin
06-23-2006, 09:00 PM
i don't know though.... i've had backing plates melt as long ago as september when i first started using 4" pads...