PDA

View Full Version : utility sink help

builthatch
03-07-2016, 10:50 PM
I bought a new house and one thing I miss from my old spot is that I had a hot/cold feed in the garage. I had to use heat tape on it though to prevent freezing. heat tape is a thermostatically controlled length of wire attached to a pipe that heats up to keep the pipe from freezing.

anyway, this new spot has a better insulated garage, but sometimes in the winter we get extreme cold snaps and it's not worth the risk not having some sort of backup plan to prevent freezing.

here are some ideas -

http://www.woodfordmfg.com/woodford/Wall_Faucet_PDF/22CATALOG.pdf

and

Florestone Utility Sinks WM (http://www.florestone.com/utility_sinks/utility_sinks_wm.html)

This combo seems nice but it’s all too expensive and I think that faucet would be a pain to install since I'd have to run everything up the wall inside. but either way, that sink shipped and that faucet plus all the installation hassle - way too much loot imo.

I like this smaller, cheaper sink
Mustee 19W Utilatub Laundry Tub Wall Mount, 24-Inch x 20-Inch, White - Utility Sinks - Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Mustee-19W-Utilatub-Laundry-24-Inch/dp/B008MG2GQU/ref=pd_sim_60_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=31UbZh%2Bc-ML&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0E986A97KA8KYNXHR5PX

but it has faucet holes for something like this:

[url=http://www.faucet.com/moen-74998-chrome-double-handle-laundry-from-the-chateau-collection/f98903]Faucet.com | 74998 in Chrome by Moen)

I would be ok with that combo (cheap) and it’s a lot easier to install than the expensive stuff up top but how to keep it all from freezing? I really don’t want to do the heat tape thing again but if I have to, I will. What about two frost free bibs underneath the sink somehow feeding that laundry faucet?

Setec Astronomy
03-08-2016, 06:56 AM
You can't do a frost free bib unless it can drain out..I don't see how you can do that if it's lower than the other faucet. This is an attached garage?

BillE
03-08-2016, 08:17 AM
Assuming that this is an attached garage, placing the sink on an interior I would think it should be ok.

Bill

builthatch
03-09-2016, 12:49 AM
yep, it's an attached garage guys. thanks.

in our other house we used to have a hot/cold feed on a shared wall and it used to freeze here and there, so i ended up using heat tape which worked flawlessly, but, the point is i experienced freezing during extreme temp drops prior to the tape and that is something that i fear here in the new place, even though this garage is situated much better in terms of shared walls, shared attic, etc. in the garage.

eventually i will be setting this garage up to be "tempered", with a register dumping house heat through a one way vent when the forced air turns on in the house, but that's a while down the road.

trashmanssd
03-09-2016, 07:02 AM
I'm in south east Mass and in my old house un insulated garage I used have case of water stored in garage that would freeze. In the new house with insulated and sheet rocked walls n the garage I never have any thing freeze in there. I am having a utility sink put in my garage this summer while the plumbers on site doing over bathroom for the wife. If you want piece of mind I would go very simple and cheap, also you can always just leave the tap a tiny bit open over night during those times to prevent freeze ups also.

builthatch
04-05-2016, 02:33 PM
i finally got this done. garage is still heavily under construction but at least i have my water in the garage! i went with a Mustee 17F. it's durastone material, pretty neat. i did pex to shutoffs under the house, then from there to under sink valves in the garage with dumps, then from there to shutoffs and then braided hose to the faucet feeds, which as you see is threaded for the hose. i'm going to have a splitter with shutoffs, one dumping as a faucet and the other side mount connected to the hose. should be pretty sweet. i used it last night to do a rinseless.

i'm going to run heat tape around the trap and both valves. then, i'll cover with foam insulation (i think). when it gets really cold, i'll have that going but also crack the faucet and turn off the under sink supply valves.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w152/builthatch/DSC01210_zpskflzwucm.jpg

Setec Astronomy
04-05-2016, 02:36 PM
I like your light stand--are those all the same bulb? Or do you have different color temps on the top and bottom?

builthatch
04-05-2016, 10:07 PM
I like your light stand--are those all the same bulb? Or do you have different color temps on the top and bottom?

thanks. it's been invaluable for renovations. i've painted more rooms at 3 AM than i care to admit.

they are the same bulb. i used bounce flash so i guess the top ones caught it a bit differently.

they are the daylight (5000k) middle of the road 1050 lumen par38 Sylvanias.

AGOatemywallet
04-05-2016, 11:02 PM
Assuming that this is an attached garage, placing the sink on an interior I would think it should be ok.

Bill

+1