PDA

View Full Version : Coping with the pollen

Zalmon
03-07-2016, 10:53 AM
I live in Tallahassee FL. It is now (and has been so since late Feb.) pollen season--which will probably last until early May. If you wash your car the next day it looks like it has not been washed in weeks. Red cards turn green or yellow. I (like most people) do not have time to wash the car every day which means there is a large pollen build up by the time I wash it (once a week). I am concerned that the pollen would scratch the paint when I wash it. Anyone have any ideas about what to do to insure that the pollen does not damage the car--maybe blow it off (with blower) or rinse with hose (which creates water spots)

Joshwaa
03-07-2016, 10:56 AM
Welcome to AGO. I am in south FL and it is horrible here. Everyone's car has a yellow tint to it. A blower might work if you have a really good LSP on there. Better choice would be to look into a Rinseless Wash. Faster than getting out the hose and doing a traditional.

Desertnate
03-07-2016, 11:35 AM
I'm not there yet, but our season is coming soon. In past years, I've had my black car turn yellow while I'm drying it!

I simply live with it as the price I pay for living in a pollen heavy part of the country. It does drive me to wash weekly to keep up.

My approach is to rinse much more heavily and be very careful with using two buckets. The Collinite 845 I've used in the past seems to hold on to pollen as I'd expect any wax. This year I'm trying a coating to see if it will make maintenance any easier. It might not stop the collection of pollen, but I'm hoping it makes clean up easier/safer.

mcate
03-07-2016, 11:58 AM
When I was stationed in Norfolk, Va the pollen was awful for about 3 weeks in late March/early April. I'd wash my black T-bird & I would be turning yellow again before I got it dry. Ended up just living with it until it was over.

BudgetPlan1
03-07-2016, 07:58 PM
Why I buy only black cars I'll never know...but I do. Brutal with the pollen.

custmsprty
03-07-2016, 08:00 PM
Live with it till pollen season is over. That's pretty much what I do in Tampa. I make sure I have a good coat of protection down before the season kicks in. The more you wash it the more you mar it.

GSKR
03-07-2016, 10:20 PM
Yeah pointless just wait till gone.

Goin Rogue
03-07-2016, 10:57 PM
I'm in Tally also, just make sure you have a good LSP and live with it.

Desertnate
03-08-2016, 08:39 AM
Not to de-rail the OP's original conversation, but bear with me here...

What is everyone's observation regarding various LSP's and their ability to either:

1) Reduce the amount of pollen that clings to the surface

2) Allow for easier pollen removal when washing

I love using 845, but pollen seems to cling like crazy to surfaces where it's applied. Other sealant/wax hybrid products I've used seem to be similar. Are coatings the best here? How about a coating-like product like Sonax PNS?

Living with the pollen is step one in this therapy session. Lessening the impact can be step two!

Murphy Mutt
03-08-2016, 09:05 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the California Duster. A few light passes and pollen is gone. Works great for me.

zx10r Elle
03-08-2016, 11:18 AM
Gentlemen,

In regards to Desertnate's query pertaining to pollen rejection by a LSP:

Currently the painted rims have Opti Car Wax from a recent polish and the painted bodywork has Gtech C2v3.

After parking under a tree for approximately 3 hours;

Upon observation OCW draws dust and pollen quicker than c2v3 but it doesnt get 'thick', pollen level wasnt 'thick' either. The C2v3 portions of the bodywork had 'some' pollen but it wasnt as significant as would typically be seen from a basic wax ( not referencing Collinite, havent used it).

I had figured once I returned home a basic rinse and wash could be performed and be good until scheduled wash day when off work. Turns out the drive home was enough to dislodge enough of the pollen/dust that a rinse/wash was unnecessary.

C2v3 and Opti Car Wax are both excellent but it seems in my observation C2v3 repels dust, pollen and other contaminants better. This is while conditions are dry.

Steve

Joshwaa
03-08-2016, 11:24 AM
I have GTechniq also. Most pollen flies of at a good speed or a blower.

Ebg18t
03-08-2016, 12:22 PM
My CQUK & WGUC coated cars both attract pollen like a regular sealant.