PDA

View Full Version : New Truck--Where do I begin?

Pages : [1] 2

xsnrg4u
03-07-2016, 02:42 AM
Finally got a new truck. I've been reading for a couple of days and I am overwhelmed with all the great information on this forum. To preserve my paint, what should I do first, second, etc.? The truck looks like it may have some orange peel, which surprised me with it being new. Should I try to remove & how; then what would be next; polishing maybe then add a clear coat paint sealant, then next a wax? I just don't know, but what I do know is that I want to spend the time & effort to do it right. Thanks to all.
:autowash:

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
03-07-2016, 03:05 AM
Hi, welcome to AutoGeekOnline! Congrats on the new truck.

Here is a great reference on the flow of car care.
Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html)

Start off by picking up one of Mike's books. These books are jammed packed full of information and will walk you through the steps on vehicle car care. It will be the best $$$ you can invest in car care. Knowledge is power.
Mike Phillips’ The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine Paperback Book (http://www.autogeek.net/how-to-create-a-show-car-shine-book.html)

Priyaka
03-07-2016, 04:00 AM
Are you planning to work by hand, or do you have a polisher? What truck did you purchase? Pictures of your new ride are always helpful!

Here is a detailed and helpful article by Mike Phillips on detailing a new car. Not sure if you already came across this--it is a great read and will guide you through the steps to take with your truck.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/54451-how-detail-your-brand-new-car-mike-phillips.html

:welcome:

GSKR
03-07-2016, 06:17 AM
Finally got a new truck. I've been reading for a couple of days and I am overwhelmed with all the great information on this forum. To preserve my paint, what should I do first, second, etc.? The truck looks like it may have some orange peel, which surprised me with it being new. Should I try to remove & how; then what would be next; polishing maybe then add a clear coat paint sealant, then next a wax? I just don't know, but what I do know is that I want to spend the time & effort to do it right. Thanks to all.
:autowash:I personally would leave the orange peel alone,unless it is a total eyesore that you can't bare to look at.menzerana powerlock jescar is a nice sealant that is really user friendly with nice results.

xsnrg4u
03-07-2016, 06:34 AM
[QUOTE=Priyaka;1357169]Are you planning to work by hand, or do you have a polisher? What truck did you purchase? Pictures of your new ride are always helpful!

Here is a detailed and helpful article by Mike Phillips on detailing a new car. Not sure if you already came across this--it is a great read and will guide you through the steps to take with your truck.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/54451-how-detail-your-brand-new-car-mike-phillips.html

:welcome:Pyriyaka, thanks for the tip on the article. I plan on buying the Porter Cable 7424xp. It seems to be a good piece of equipment to help detail. The truck is a '16 Ram 2500 4x4. It will probably be the last one we buy, plan on retiring in a couple years. I'll load some pics when I figure out how to do so on this wizard machine.
:pc7424:

xsnrg4u
03-07-2016, 06:37 AM
I personally would leave the orange peel alone,unless it is a total eyesore that you can't bare to look at.menzerana powerlock jescar is a nice sealant that is really user friendly with nice results.
The orange peel is not an eyesore and it's something I can live with. Sometimes I just get carried away and want to do it all, when it's not needed. Thanks for the info about jescar, I'll check it out.
:props:

Priyaka
03-07-2016, 07:05 AM
Pyriyaka, thanks for the tip on the article. I plan on buying the Porter Cable 7424xp. It seems to be a good piece of equipment to help detail. The truck is a '16 Ram 2500 4x4. It will probably be the last one we buy, plan on retiring in a couple years. I'll load some pics when I figure out how to do so on this wizard machine.
:pc7424:

Good decision to buy a DA polisher. It will make working with the paint a lot easier for you than working by hand.

I started out with the PC 7424XP as well. It is a great machine. You will see a lot of recommendations to buy the PC or the GG6 made by Griot's.

Paul A.
03-07-2016, 08:43 AM
Welcome xsnrg4u (like the screen name!). As Mike@DP suggested, Mike's books are superb for everything you need to know but you are probably like us all and anxious to get started. I definately advise you to order Mikes book because it will become a reference source as you progress through the various steps. It will be nice to go back to something, brush up on the master guidance and tackle that step like a pro. While you are waiting for it to come in or are reading the e-book, read up on his specific articles here also like Priyaka suggested. There is a ton of stuff on specific tasks of detailing as stickied posts here.

I also agree with GSKR and wouldn't mess with reducing orange peel just yet. Most, if not all, of us have (or had) it and it's just one of those things with factory paint nowadays. Like you said, if you're planning to keep that beautiful new truck for a while you can always tackle that later if it continues to gnaw at you.

Again, welcome to the best online resource for detailing on the planet. The best advice i can give you is to not be shy here. Ask away on anything that confuses you or to get some clarification on things. We are a helpful, considerate group here and understand how difficult it is to grasp all things involved with getting the best results.

Oh, one last thing...figure out how to get pictures up here! We're picture prostitutes and especially for a '16 Ram 2500!!! Sounds awesome and i wish you the best of luck with it.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
03-07-2016, 09:59 AM
You need your clear coat to stay in tact for its whole life.

Like Mike Phillips states, your clearcoat is as thin as a post it note.

Think about how scary that is, knowing that your clear coat is as thick as a post it note.

That thought alone is scary to think that has to last the life of the vehicle let alone, wet sanding and taking half of that off.

Wetsanding is something I would avoid all together.

1.Wash
2.Clay
3.Polish
4.Seal / or coating
5. Wax

Call it a day.

Mike Moore
03-07-2016, 02:51 PM
WASH:
At the very least I would use the Two Bucket Wash method.
A good quality wash mitt, auto soap and a quality drying towel.

Decon:
After washing put your hand in a baggie and feel the paint for bumps.
I'm a big fan of IronX then clay (I like Nanoskin Auto Scrub FINE grade).
I do this to the paint for a chemical & mechanical contaminant removal.

Polish:
If you have minor swirls etc. from the stealership DISO car wash.
Use a fine polish. A good place to start with a PC is the Megs 5" mf kit.

Last Step Products:
This can be a wax, sealant or coating. Products vary from "looks" to longevity.
I'd probably suggest a sealant (to start) as the longevity is longer than a wax.
My long time favorite sealant is BlackFire Wet Diamond. It looks wet & feels slick.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc140/merlinhd03/Detail/TruckHood3.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc140/merlinhd03/Detail/TruckHood11.jpg

xsnrg4u
03-07-2016, 05:50 PM
WASH:
At the very least I would use the Two Bucket Wash method.
A good quality wash mitt, auto soap and a quality drying towel.

Decon:
After washing put your hand in a baggie and feel the paint for bumps.
I'm a big fan of IronX then clay (I like Nanoskin Auto Scrub FINE grade).
I do this to the paint for a chemical & mechanical contaminant removal.

Polish:
If you have minor swirls etc. from the stealership DISO car wash.
Use a fine polish. A good place to start with a PC is the Megs 5" mf kit.

Last Step Products:
This can be a wax, sealant or coating. Products vary from "looks" to longevity.
I'd probably suggest a sealant (to start) as the longevity is longer than a wax.
My long time favorite sealant is BlackFire Wet Diamond. It looks wet & feels slick.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc140/merlinhd03/Detail/TruckHood3.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc140/merlinhd03/Detail/TruckHood11.jpg
Merlin-- that is some sweeeeeeet shine. How did you do it? That is just what I'm looking for!!
:dblthumb2:

ski2
03-07-2016, 05:59 PM
If you're going to buy a polisher you might want to consider the Griots polisher--with a 5' backing plate and 5.5" pads there is nothing it can't tackle. Most importantly for someone just doing their own car, which means it will not get used often, the Griots has a lifetime warranty and their customer service is excellent.

xsnrg4u
03-07-2016, 06:00 PM
Welcome xsnrg4u (like the screen name!). As Mike@DP suggested, Mike's books are superb for everything you need to know but you are probably like us all and anxious to get started. I definately advise you to order Mikes book because it will become a reference source as you progress through the various steps. It will be nice to go back to something, brush up on the master guidance and tackle that step like a pro. While you are waiting for it to come in or are reading the e-book, read up on his specific articles here also like Priyaka suggested. There is a ton of stuff on specific tasks of detailing as stickied posts here.

I also agree with GSKR and wouldn't mess with reducing orange peel just yet. Most, if not all, of us have (or had) it and it's just one of those things with factory paint nowadays. Like you said, if you're planning to keep that beautiful new truck for a while you can always tackle that later if it continues to gnaw at you.

Again, welcome to the best online resource for detailing on the planet. The best advice i can give you is to not be shy here. Ask away on anything that confuses you or to get some clarification on things. We are a helpful, considerate group here and understand how difficult it is to grasp all things involved with getting the best results.

Oh, one last thing...figure out how to get pictures up here! We're picture prostitutes and especially for a '16 Ram 2500!!! Sounds awesome and i wish you the best of luck with it.
Thanks for the tips & info. Will get the book. The screen name I use is because I teach in the penitentiary so it won't be easy for anybody to track me--I know it's not fool proof but works pretty good.
For the group:
Should I seal or coat or are they both the same?

xsnrg4u
03-07-2016, 06:10 PM
If you're going to buy a polisher you might want to consider the Griots polisher--with a 5' backing plate and 5.5" pads there is nothing it can't tackle. Most importantly for someone just doing their own car, which means it will not get used often, the Griots has a lifetime warranty and their customer service is excellent.
Thanks a million ski2! I had no idea about warranties for the polishers. Seems the Griots polisher & accessories is the best bang for the buck especially with great customer service. All you guys are a great help to this newbie! Really appreciate all the help.

Mike Moore
03-07-2016, 06:53 PM
...Seems the Griots polisher & accessories is the best bang for the buck especially with great customer service.

The Griot's Garage 6" Polisher is a great machine.

If you're going to buy a polisher you might want to consider the Griots polisher--with a 5' backing plate and 5.5" pads there is nothing it can't tackle.
Most importantly for someone just doing their own car, which means it will not get used often, the Griots has a lifetime warranty and their customer service is excellent.

I like the Meguiars 5" DBP5 Backing Plate
It works perfectly with the GG 6" Polisher

Then there's pads and polishes...