PDA

View Full Version : Product app on NEW tires?

AZpolisher15
03-06-2016, 10:06 PM
I got some new Michelin light truck tires about 6 weeks ago. There is a considerable about of browning coming out of the tires, which I understand is a normal process. It doesn't come off very easily (if at all). I scrubbed with Megs gold class and a terry cloth towel today and I barely put a dent in it.

Question- is it ok to apply gels/dressings at this time? Or should I be waiting awhile to let the bleeding occur before application of products?

Eldorado2k
03-06-2016, 10:22 PM
By purchasing Michelins, you bought the least detailer friendly tires possible. They tend to not accept dressings, gels or coatings very well. I dread seeing Michelins on a car I have to detail, because I know the tires won't come out good.

The Guz
03-06-2016, 10:23 PM
Do you have any tire cleaners and a tire brush? Gold Class shampoo is not going to do much for you.

Michelin's tend to brown the most out of any tire I have cleaned and dressed.

DaveT435
03-06-2016, 10:24 PM
I got some new Michelin light truck tires about 6 weeks ago. There is a considerable about of browning coming out of the tires, which I understand is a normal process. It doesn't come off very easily (if at all). I scrubbed with Megs gold class and a terry cloth towel today and I barely put a dent in it.

Question- is it ok to apply gels/dressings at this time? Or should I be waiting awhile to let the bleeding occur before application of products?

You can apply dressing. I've been using the Detailers tire cleaner and it works great. Autopia still has the Detailers. AG has the McKee's 37 now.

DaveT435
03-06-2016, 10:26 PM
I've got Michelins on our F-150. With the Detailers cleaner and dressing they turn out good.

Setec Astronomy
03-06-2016, 11:27 PM

Ok, first thing is you need to scrub them with something...I like Optimum Power Clean because I find it causes less browning. Second reason I like OPC is that after using it, even if you still have some browning, the tires seem to take the dressing anyway and hold it, where with other cleaners I used, if you went over the brown the dressing would just wash off in the first rain. I use OPC diluted 3:1 (3 parts water).

Disclaimer: I have not tested this on extensive brands of tires, but back-to-back I find OPC to give better results than any APC or other tire cleaner I have used in terms of dressing longevity after cleaning.

Michelin's tend to brown the most out of any tire I have cleaned and dressed.

Now you tell me...I just ordered a set of Michelins, didn't get them yet.

The Guz
03-07-2016, 12:06 AM
Now you tell me...I just ordered a set of Michelins, didn't get them yet.

lol you will be fine. I have a feeling you will be on top of it compared to an average joe.

AZpolisher15
03-07-2016, 12:20 AM
Haha well shoot! They're the best tires I've ever had. My third set of Miches. And now you tell me they're the worst tires to detail! Actually, this set is browning much more than the first two sets. Apparently this new model- it's a slightly different compound. Oh well.

I put the new Duragloss tire and rubber dressing on a few weeks ago. Looked really nice and seemed to keep the browning at bay. But once it wore off, it was like a flood of brown all at once. I got a gigantic bottle of the DP gel in a free $50 AG gift box awhile back. Not too excited, as I heard it is super shiny. But I feel like I better use it up before I buy something else.

Thanks for the tips. I'll hit the tires with a stiff brush and some APC.

Eldorado2k
03-07-2016, 12:24 AM
I've had the best luck with Meguiars Endurance Gel on Michelins. Anything else, including coatings with normally last months wear of in about a week.

Setec Astronomy
03-07-2016, 12:48 AM
lol you will be fine. I have a feeling you will be on top of it compared to an average joe.

Yeah, I was half joking, but I do have a set of Michelins on the way, and although I've had a couple of sets of Michelins before, this is a new model that I haven't had before. I think I have a thread around here somewhere how my whole perspective on browning changed after I switched to OPC.

The Guz
03-07-2016, 01:00 AM
Haha well shoot! They're the best tires I've ever had. My third set of Miches. And now you tell me they're the worst tires to detail! Actually, this set is browning much more than the first two sets. Apparently this new model- it's a slightly different compound. Oh well.

I put the new Duragloss tire and rubber dressing on a few weeks ago. Looked really nice and seemed to keep the browning at bay. But once it wore off, it was like a flood of brown all at once. I got a gigantic bottle of the DP gel in a free $50 AG gift box awhile back. Not too excited, as I heard it is super shiny. But I feel like I better use it up before I buy something else.

Thanks for the tips. I'll hit the tires with a stiff brush and some APC.

They will brown even more since they are new. Once they have worn in a bit they will not brown as much.

I would recommend you invest in a tire cleaner and a tire brush. I personally use Meguiar's D143 and a tuff shine tire brush to scrub tires. APC works ok.

My recommendation would be to clean them weekly for about a month before dressing them. That's just my personal recommendation based on what I have gone through with new tires.

AZpolisher15
03-07-2016, 02:21 AM
They will brown even more since they are new. Once they have worn in a bit they will not brown as much.

I would recommend you invest in a tire cleaner and a tire brush. I personally use Meguiar's D143 and a tuff shine tire brush to scrub tires. APC works ok.

My recommendation would be to clean them weekly for about a month before dressing them. That's just my personal recommendation based on what I have gone through with new tires.
Thanks, Guz. I just finished application on my truck of a coat of DG111/601 (I did 105 a month ago). I left the tires bare- will follow your lead for a month. Then try dressing them again. I have a feeling the DG tire and rubber dressing that I was using is just delaying the inevitable browning. I'd like to just get it over with and then coat the tires.

dlc95
03-07-2016, 06:23 AM
Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner does a great job removing the browning. If I'm doing a rinseless wash, M40 has been doing a very nice job cleaning and conditioning the rubber.

I'll dress the tire with Endurance, or Ultimate Black Tire Coating.